2012-06-07 13:54:00

Moscow gays to challenge 100-year ban on gay pride parades at ECHR

Moscow, June 7, Interfax - The Moscow City Court has upheld the Moscow city ban on gay pride parades for the next 100 years.

"The Moscow City Court has turned down the appeal vs. the Tverskoy District Court ruling, which found lawful the Moscow government's ban on gay pride parades in the period from March 2012 to May 2112," action organizer Nikolay Alexeyev told Interfax.

He said he would appeal to the Moscow City Court Presidium and the European Court of Human Rights.

Last year the activists "used a legal loophole, which did not set the maximal period for seeking public action permits, and appealed to the Moscow city administration for holding 102 gay pride parades in 2012-2112," Alexeyev said.

The organizers wanted to hold all of their events on Bolotnaya Square.

"They sent us a letter, referring to the legal norm that regulates the holding of public events in the city. Our appeal was neither rejected nor granted, although the law said that must be done within 15 days," Alexeyev said.

In his words, they did not expect the city authorities' permit to hold gay pride parades but needed grounds to appeal to the European Court of Human Rights.

"Our appeals are turned down time after time, and Strasbourg calls these decisions unlawful. Time passes, we ask for a new action, and we are rejected again. This time we want to challenge the ban on prospective gay pride parades in Strasbourg," Alexeyev said.