2021-09-23 15:22:00

Court dismisses appeal against forcible treatment of Yakutia shaman Gabyshev

Yakutsk, September 23, Interfax - The Supreme Court of Yakutia has dismissed an appeal from the defense of shaman Alexander Gabyshev and has upheld the Yakutsk City Court ruling that committed the shaman to hospital.

"The court has fully dismissed the appeal. The Yakutsk City Court ruling that commits Gabyshev to a specialized medical institution with intensive monitoring takes effect today," the shaman's lawyer Alexey Pryanishnikov told Interfax.

It is still unknown which hospital Gabyshev will be taken to.

In the words of Pryanishnikov, they will soon file an appeal with a cassation court and are prepared to go as far as the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR).

Gabyshev briefly commented on the charges (extremism and violence against a person in authority) in his final statement, the lawyer said. The shaman believes there is no formal element of a crime in his actions, which only reacted to the illegal entry into his house by Russian National Guard officers.

Gabyshev said his case was political and stemmed from his comments on the situation in the country.

It was reported earlier that Gabyshev announced his new "march to Moscow" that was scheduled to begin in March 2021.

In March 2019, Gabyshev began an 8,000-kilometer journey to Moscow, in order to "drive away" the president and "restore the people's power." The trek was meant to last two years.

In the fall of 2019, a criminal case based on public calls for extremism was opened against Gabyshev. He was detained several times and eventually ended his journey.

A state examination found Gabyshev insane. On May 12, 2020, he was committed to a psychiatric hospital. He stayed there until July 22.

Earlier this year, a criminal case was opened against Gabyshev for using violence against a police officer. The inquiry centers on an incident on January 27, 2021, when a medical worker arrived at Gabyshev's home together with Russian Guard officers to bring him to a Yakutsk psychiatric hospital for a routine examination after the shaman refused to receive treatment.

According to investigators, when the officers entered Gabyshev's home, he attacked one of them and wounded him with a sword.

Shortly after that, a court committed Gabyshev to a psychiatric hospital for the second time.