03 October 2012, 16:38
Supreme Court of Russia upholds ban on homosexual "propaganda" among minors (updated)
Moscow, October 3, Interfax - The Russian Supreme Court has upheld legislation banning homosexual "propaganda" among minors, which was earlier adopted in St. Petersburg.
The court upheld a lower court's ruling, declining sexual minorities' claim seeking the recognition of the legislation as illegitimate and not subject to enforcement, an Interfax correspondent has reported.
The claimants insisted on the reversal of the St. Petersburg court on the legitimacy of this regulation. In their appeal, they said the decision was given with violations. "Does propaganda constitute an act posing danger to the public?" a claimant asked a St. Petersburg Legislative Assembly official.
A member of the committee asked her why she believes children need the said information, to which she responded by saying that tolerance can be cultivated in people at an early age.
The representative of the city's Legislative Assembly asked for the claim to be declined. The prosecutor took his side.
The court has now announced the resolution part of the decision. Its motives will become known later.
The claimants allege the law uses the concepts of propaganda, bisexuality, transgender, and traditional and non-traditional marriage relations, which have no legal definitions.
The St. Petersburg court declined the claim and the claimants went to the Supreme Court.
The St. Petersburg law banning the propaganda of homosexuality and pedophilia among minors became effective on March 30. The law envisions a fine for the commission of the said acts, which are recognized as administrative violations in St. Petersburg.
- Founder of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Krasnoyarsk jailed for 6 years 27 June 2022, 19:42
- Izyum Diocese in Ukraine's Kharkov Region refuses to be independent of Russian Orthodox Church 27 June 2022, 16:19
- Borrell regrets Patriarch Kirill left off EU list of sanctioned individuals 27 June 2022, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls for dismissing doubt about rightness of Russian way 27 June 2022, 11:04
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10
- Russian court gives four Jehovah's Witnesses real jail time, suspended sentences in Trans-Baikal Territory 07 June 2022, 19:29
- Russian army averted damage to Sviatogorsk Lavra's historical and Orthodox monuments 07 June 2022, 15:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion relieved of duties as Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept chairman 07 June 2022, 15:03
- Only Local Council can change status of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Moscow Synod 07 June 2022, 15:01
- Crimean bishoprics directly subordinated to Patriarch Kirill 07 June 2022, 14:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls Belarus a truly sovereign state 06 June 2022, 12:52
- Process of transfer of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem to Russia to be completed in foreseeable future - Russian FM 03 June 2022, 19:51
- Friendship of Slavic peoples to stand test of time - Patriarch Kirill 02 June 2022, 10:00
- Lavrov, OIC secretary general discuss causes of escalation in int'l relations 01 June 2022, 10:00
- Borrell's remarks on Russian patriarch give Kiev 'sanction' to persecute canonical Church – Moscow Patriarchate 31 May 2022, 18:21
- Another Donbass diocese disagrees with UOC decision to proclaim independence 31 May 2022, 17:50
- Chisinau mayor says won't allow LGBT pride parade to happen 31 May 2022, 17:22