13 August 2012, 10:15
Organizers of Madonna concert in St. Pete may sue anti-gay law author
St. Petersburg, August 13, Interfax - Petersburg Music Industry (PMI), the company that organized pop star Madonna's concert in St. Petersburg on Thursday, will sue St. Petersburg Legislative Assembly member Vitaly Milonov for videotaping the show if he accuses PMI of violating the law banning gay propaganda among minors, the PMI press service told Interfax.
"Audio, video and photo records at the concert were prohibited. The spectators were informed about this in an information video at the sports and concert complex several hours before the concert. In addition, making pictures of underage children is not allowed without their parents' consent," it said.
PMI has preferred to assume an amicable position from the very start and "called on everyone to enjoy the world star's wonderful show, which St. Petersburg had never seen before" rather than "pay attention to some individuals' invectives against Madonna."
"We are not in the mood to fight. But we won't leave Mr. Milonov's attacks without attention," it said.
Milonov had said earlier that he would send his 'agents' to the concert to videotape it.
It was reported earlier that Madonna gave a concert as part of her world tour at the Peterburgsky sports and concert complex on August 9. At the start of the show, the singer asked the audience to raise their hands with pink bracelets to express their support for sex minorities.
"Show your love and appreciation to the gay community! We want to fight for the right to be free. All people should be treated with dignity, respect, and love," Madonna said.
Milonov told Interfax later that his aides attended the concert and videotaped it. "There were minors there, there were 12-year-old children there," Milonov said. "We believe the law banning homosexuality propaganda was broken," he said.
He also said some civil activists filed a report with police demanding that Madonna be held liable for violating the city legislation banning propaganda of homosexuality among minors.
- Ukrainian hackers attack website of Russian Orthodox Church's external relations dept 01 July 2022, 14:40
- Federal Penitentiary Service, which used to carry out death penalty, opposes its reintroduction 30 June 2022, 21:37
- Lavrov thanks the Jewish Museum of Moscow for carefully preserving the memory of important pages of history 30 June 2022, 11:37
- Founder of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Krasnoyarsk jailed for 6 years 27 June 2022, 19:42
- Izyum Diocese in Ukraine's Kharkov Region refuses to be independent of Russian Orthodox Church 27 June 2022, 16:19
- Borrell regrets Patriarch Kirill left off EU list of sanctioned individuals 27 June 2022, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls for dismissing doubt about rightness of Russian way 27 June 2022, 11:04
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10
- Russian court gives four Jehovah's Witnesses real jail time, suspended sentences in Trans-Baikal Territory 07 June 2022, 19:29
- Russian army averted damage to Sviatogorsk Lavra's historical and Orthodox monuments 07 June 2022, 15:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion relieved of duties as Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept chairman 07 June 2022, 15:03
- Only Local Council can change status of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Moscow Synod 07 June 2022, 15:01
- Crimean bishoprics directly subordinated to Patriarch Kirill 07 June 2022, 14:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls Belarus a truly sovereign state 06 June 2022, 12:52
- Process of transfer of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem to Russia to be completed in foreseeable future - Russian FM 03 June 2022, 19:51
- Friendship of Slavic peoples to stand test of time - Patriarch Kirill 02 June 2022, 10:00
- Lavrov, OIC secretary general discuss causes of escalation in int'l relations 01 June 2022, 10:00