23 May 2012, 10:20
Sexual minorities seeking court permission for Moscow event
Moscow, May 23, Interfax - Sexual minority activists have filed an appeal with a Moscow court against the city administration's refusal to allow a planned gay pride parade on May 27.
"To be honest, I still hope that the court may call a session and deal with this matter before Friday," the founder of Moscow gay pride parades - annual events none of which has been permitted by the city administration - told Interfax.
"In our appeal, we asked for this matter to be considered before the date of the event. The court is duty-bound to do this under a ruling of the European Court [of Human Rights] on my case about the bans on gay parades in Moscow in 2006, 2007 and 2008. Otherwise defense from the judiciary makes no sense at all," he said.
"I hope that the court will go ahead with considering this matter in view of two extra points that we included in our notifications to the mayor's office: the first is that we would accept any place in Moscow that the [city] government offered us, and the second is that there would be no obscenities or violations of public morality," Nikolay Alexeyev said.
The appeal was submitted to the Tverskoy Court.
Early this month, the Russian gay community's official website said that, in an appeal to the European Court of Human Rights against last year's ban on a planned gay pride parade, Alexeyev and his mother, Irina Alexeyeva, accused the Moscow authorities of violating three articles of the European Convention on Human Rights - Article 11, "Freedom of Assembly and Association," Article 13, "Right to an Effective Remedy," and Article 14, "Prohibition of Discrimination."
The claimants sought an order that the Russian government pay the community 100,000 euro as emotional damage compensation.