13 April 2012, 12:41
Orthodox priest leaves for Libya to hold Easter service for Ukrainians
Kiev, April 13, Interfax - Archpriest Zakharia Kerstyuk, an official with the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Department for External Church Relations, has left for Libya for the Easter celebrations, the Ukrainian Church reported on its official website.
With support from the UN, the Department for External Church Relations has received from the current Libyan administration permission for a visit to the country, which is now closed. The possibility of holding an Easter service is also being discussed.
The Ukrainian priest may visit some Libyan cities where Ukrainian citizens live and work in compact communities.
Some 3,000 Ukrainian doctors continue working in Libya despite military action. In addition, several Ukrainians, whose detention became known in September 2011, are currently on trial in Libya. These people are civilian specialists who had come to Libya to work on Libyan oil industry objects.
In March 2012, three Ukrainian citizens who were held prisoner in Libya were freed and returned to their homeland. The rest of the Ukrainians were kept in custody in Libya.
Since the Ukrainians' detention, the media have periodically reported that they were detained became they were really mercenaries fighting on the side of the Gaddafi forces. The Ukrainian Foreign Ministry has denied this information.
A total of 25 people (citizens of Ukraine, Russia, and Belarus) are on trial in Libya. The trial began in Tripoli on April 4. The people are charged with restoring military equipment used by the Gaddafi regime to "kill Libyan people."
- The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia 18 June 2019, 11:09
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27