04 January 2012, 14:16
Religious fanatics in Tajikistan killed man dressed as Santa Claus
Dushanbe, January 4, Interfax - A young man dressed as Santa Claus has been killed in a religious attack in Dushanbe, a high-placed source in Tajikistan's Interior Ministry told Interfax.
The killing of Parviz Davlatbekov, 24, has been officially recognized, but religious motives have not been acknowledged.
"The young man wanted to congratulate his relatives and dressed up as Santa Claus. He was attacked by a crowd of about 30 young men when he approached his apartment building, and they stabbed him, shouting out: "Tu Kofiri!" (Infidel!) The man died in hospital of the sustained stab wounds," the source said.
Later the Tajik police have detained three suspected murderers - third-years students of Tajik National University Sharif Davlatov, Farrukh Samiyev and Firus Nazrulloyev.
Tajik social networks link the murder with the fact that several days before New Year head of the Council of Ulamas of Tajikistan Saidmukarram Abdukodirzoda told journalists that decorating the Christmas tree, dancing and playing around was alien to Tajik culture and contradicted the laws of Islam.
But New Year's holidays are observed officially in Tajikistan. New Year's trees are decorated on squares and New Year's parties are held at schools and child-care centers with Santa Claus participating. President Emomali Rahmon traditionally conveys New Year's greetings to the nation several hours before midnight.
Meanwhile, experts note growing religious influence in Tajikistan. Disputes flare up in the press each December, whether Tajiks should see the New Year in as Christians do.
- Restoration of 'Kiev Patriarchate' shows viability of Constantinople's project in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 20 June 2019, 19:39
- Defense minister accuses U.S. of supporting non-mainstream religious entities in Russia 20 June 2019, 19:07
- Filaret, supporters to leave Ukraine's new church on June 24 - new church of Ukraine 20 June 2019, 19:03
- IAO delegation led by Russian MP leaving Tbilisi early 20 June 2019, 18:58
- Ivanishvili lashes out at organizers of Interparliamentary Assembly on Orthodoxy session for electing Russian as chair 20 June 2019, 18:56
- Filaret thinks Ukraine can have 3 Orthodox Churches 20 June 2019, 18:51
- "Kiev Patriarchate" cancels its dissolution 20 June 2019, 18:46
- Georgian president rules out 'Orthodox union' of Georgia and Russia 20 June 2019, 13:40
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper suspected of financing terrorism arrested for 2 months 19 June 2019, 17:14
- Memorial in place of the second biggest burial of the Holocaust victims opened in Caucasus 19 June 2019, 17:09
- The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia 18 June 2019, 11:09
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27