18 April 2011, 13:24
Russian Orthodox Church urges political and legal treatment of crimes committed by Bolsheviks
Moscow, April 18, Interfax - Proposals on de-totalization recently made by the President's Council for Development of Civil Society and Human Rights have long come to a head, the Moscow Patriarchate believes.
"It is quite evident that such proposals should have been made long before. It is necessary to give legal and political treatment of the crimes committed by the Bolsheviks' regime. Not only do they include Stalin's crimes, but also those committed by Lenin, Dzherzhinsky and Trotsky," Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin, the head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations said in an interview to Rossiyskiye Vesti weekly.
He believes it is necessary to commemorate the victims of the bloody Bolsheviks' coup and "stop glorifying the butches by naming streets in their honour."
"At the same time, we should avoid replacing the Soviet society, despite its distorted attitudes, with the consumer society which prevents people from having any big goals," Father Vsevolod believes.
Commenting the assertion of the above proposals that "the civil war lasted 70 years", he said "the civil war did not last 70 years: it has been a civil confrontation caused by the Bolsheviks' coup and still pending. We are here to stop it."
Father Vsevolod disagreed with the statement that "the whole Europe is responsible for launching World Wars I and II."
"Governments of several Western countries are responsible for launching World War I. However, I would not release some members of the Triple Entente from responsibility as well. It is not the German people, but the Nazi government of Germany which bears responsibility for unleashing the Second World War," he said.
- St. Nicholas relics to be brought to Russia from Italy for first time in 930 years on May 21-28 28 April 2017, 13:01
- St. Isaac Cathedral can gain a status of patriarchal representation 27 April 2017, 21:27
- Lenin should be buried out of compassion for his soul, Russian Muslims and Jews believe 27 April 2017, 21:26
- FJCR urges Trump to prove his adherence to struggling against anti-Semitism 27 April 2017, 12:22
- Russia conveyed 1.5 tons of humanitarian aid to residents of a Christian city in Syria 26 April 2017, 15:54
- Stepashin tells about Yeltsin's plans to demolish Lenin's mausoleum 26 April 2017, 14:18
- Unidentified criminals committed an arson at the territory of a Moscow Patriarchate church 25 April 2017, 18:09
- Chechen mufti meets with Syrian president in Damascus – Kadyrov 25 April 2017, 10:43
- Special services have no info on persecution complaints from sexual minorities in Chechnya – Kremlin 25 April 2017, 10:16
- EU should wait for reports on persecution of gays in Chechnya to be confirmed before condemning – Lavrov 25 April 2017, 10:15
- Public prosecutor seeks 3.5 years in prison to Moscow mosque imam charged with terrorism justification 25 April 2017, 10:00
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate burglarized, desecrated in Odessa 24 April 2017, 17:40
- Russian sappers demined Orthodox church in Aleppo 24 April 2017, 13:52
- Two criminals plotting to murder religious figures eliminated in Stavropol Territory 24 April 2017, 10:00
- Volodin calls for relying on Putin's opinion, avoiding radical moves in Lenin's reburial issue 21 April 2017, 13:02
- Zyuganov demands Russian Security Council guarantee Lenin not to be reburied 21 April 2017, 12:46
- Family of a Russian priest creates robots and will represent them in the USA 21 April 2017, 10:18
- Russian Supreme Court declares Russian branch of Jehovah's Witnesses extremist organization, orders its closure 20 April 2017, 19:26
- Over half of Russians believe that Lenin should be buried - poll 20 April 2017, 18:25
- Lenin reburial information attack on Communist Party - party 20 April 2017, 18:22
- United Russia not to support legislation on Lenin's reburial as it splits society - Duma deputy 20 April 2017, 18:17
- Duma members propose bill to regulate burial of Lenin's body 20 April 2017, 16:10
- Ukrainian army has sent about 500 Wahhabis to Mariupol, DNR says 20 April 2017, 13:18
- Kremlin has no reasons not to believe info received from head of Chechnya on human rights observance in republic – Peskov (updated) 20 April 2017, 13:05
- Lavrov discusses int'l issues, Afghanistan with Prince Aga Khan IV 20 April 2017, 11:23
- Russian ombudsman suspects reports on gay men's harassment in Chechnya may be false 20 April 2017, 11:15
- Russian church desecrated in Israel 18 April 2017, 18:32
- Patriarch Kirill surprised to see no intl reaction to violence against Church in Ukraine 18 April 2017, 18:28
- Patriarch Kirill urges global community to stop ignoring persecutions of Christians in Iraq, Syria, Africa 18 April 2017, 18:26
- Novaya Gazeta to urge Investigative Committee to probe reports on harassment of gays in Chechnya 18 April 2017, 18:24