24 February 2011, 10:02
Sexual minorities preparing pride parade in Moscow in May
Moscow, February 24, Interfax - The organizers of gay pride parades in Moscow will make another attempt to gain permission from city authorities to hold such an action in May.
"We intend to file notification with Moscow Mayor Sergey Sobyanin on holding a procession in support for tolerant attitudes toward, and observance of the rights and freedoms of, people of homosexual orientation in Russia," Nikolay Alexeyev, the parade chief organizer, told Interfax.
The gay pride parade in Moscow is planned for May 28 this year.
The parade organizers are expecting a ruling from the European Court of Human Rights on an appeal by Russian authorities against its ruling finding that forbidding three gay pride parades in Moscow in 2006-2008 was unlawful.
The European Court of Human Rights' First Section ruled on October 21, 2010 that the bans on gay pride parades in Moscow violated three articles of the European Convention on Human Rights and obliged Russia to pay the organizers nearly 30,000 euro in compensation for non-pecuniary damages and legal costs and expenses, he said.
The Moscow city authorities have denied the gay rights activists five parades and other mass events in the past five years.
Moscow Mayor said recently that he did not support the idea of gay pride parades and similar events being held in the capital.
"I have my own attitude toward this issue. I believe Moscow does not need this," he said.
- Ukrainian hackers attack website of Russian Orthodox Church's external relations dept 01 July 2022, 14:40
- Federal Penitentiary Service, which used to carry out death penalty, opposes its reintroduction 30 June 2022, 21:37
- Lavrov thanks the Jewish Museum of Moscow for carefully preserving the memory of important pages of history 30 June 2022, 11:37
- Founder of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Krasnoyarsk jailed for 6 years 27 June 2022, 19:42
- Izyum Diocese in Ukraine's Kharkov Region refuses to be independent of Russian Orthodox Church 27 June 2022, 16:19
- Borrell regrets Patriarch Kirill left off EU list of sanctioned individuals 27 June 2022, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls for dismissing doubt about rightness of Russian way 27 June 2022, 11:04
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10
- Russian court gives four Jehovah's Witnesses real jail time, suspended sentences in Trans-Baikal Territory 07 June 2022, 19:29
- Russian army averted damage to Sviatogorsk Lavra's historical and Orthodox monuments 07 June 2022, 15:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion relieved of duties as Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept chairman 07 June 2022, 15:03
- Only Local Council can change status of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Moscow Synod 07 June 2022, 15:01
- Crimean bishoprics directly subordinated to Patriarch Kirill 07 June 2022, 14:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls Belarus a truly sovereign state 06 June 2022, 12:52
- Process of transfer of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem to Russia to be completed in foreseeable future - Russian FM 03 June 2022, 19:51
- Friendship of Slavic peoples to stand test of time - Patriarch Kirill 02 June 2022, 10:00
- Lavrov, OIC secretary general discuss causes of escalation in int'l relations 01 June 2022, 10:00