20 September 2010, 10:57
Russian gay community leader Alexeyev to ask for political asylum in Belarus
Moscow, September 20, Interfax - Nikolay Alexeyev, a prominent Russian gay community leader and organizer of gay pride parades in Moscow, has said he intends to ask for political asylum in Belarus.
"I am in Minsk now and intend to ask the Belarusian authorities for political asylum," Alexeyev told Interfax by way of SMS.
He also said he decided to recall all lawsuits from the European Court of Human Rights over bans that the Moscow city administration had imposed on gay pride parades in 2006, 2007, and 2008.
"Because of the pressure being put on me, I have decided to recall my complaints against the Moscow authorities' bans on gay pride parades in 2006, 2007, and 2008 from the European Court," he said.
The European Court is already considering the complaints and is about to hand down its rulings on them, he said.
It was reported earlier that unidentified men and police officers apprehended Alexeyev at Moscow Domodedovo airport before he was to fly to Switzerland on September 15.
Alexeyev said then he had been told to go to a special room on the pretext of searching his baggage more carefully, where he spent several hours. Unidentified men looked for some information on two laptops he had on him and in documents he had in his bags. After that, all contacts with Alexeyev were lost for about 24 hours.
Alexeyev later contacted journalists to say he had been taken to a provincial police station for questioning. "They demanded that I sign prepared papers stating that I recall my appeals regarding gay pride parades from the European Court due to an arrangement," he said via SMS.
He also said he had actually been expelled from Russia and was in Minsk.
Russian sex minorities have regularly attempted to hold a gay pride parade in the center of Moscow but have always been denied this opportunity.
- Ukrainian hackers attack website of Russian Orthodox Church's external relations dept 01 July 2022, 14:40
- Federal Penitentiary Service, which used to carry out death penalty, opposes its reintroduction 30 June 2022, 21:37
- Lavrov thanks the Jewish Museum of Moscow for carefully preserving the memory of important pages of history 30 June 2022, 11:37
- Founder of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Krasnoyarsk jailed for 6 years 27 June 2022, 19:42
- Izyum Diocese in Ukraine's Kharkov Region refuses to be independent of Russian Orthodox Church 27 June 2022, 16:19
- Borrell regrets Patriarch Kirill left off EU list of sanctioned individuals 27 June 2022, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls for dismissing doubt about rightness of Russian way 27 June 2022, 11:04
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10
- Russian court gives four Jehovah's Witnesses real jail time, suspended sentences in Trans-Baikal Territory 07 June 2022, 19:29
- Russian army averted damage to Sviatogorsk Lavra's historical and Orthodox monuments 07 June 2022, 15:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion relieved of duties as Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept chairman 07 June 2022, 15:03
- Only Local Council can change status of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Moscow Synod 07 June 2022, 15:01
- Crimean bishoprics directly subordinated to Patriarch Kirill 07 June 2022, 14:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls Belarus a truly sovereign state 06 June 2022, 12:52
- Process of transfer of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem to Russia to be completed in foreseeable future - Russian FM 03 June 2022, 19:51
- Friendship of Slavic peoples to stand test of time - Patriarch Kirill 02 June 2022, 10:00
- Lavrov, OIC secretary general discuss causes of escalation in int'l relations 01 June 2022, 10:00