08 September 2010, 11:31
Russian Jews will ask God for forgiveness on first day of Jewish New Year
Moscow, September 8, Interfax - Celebrations dedicated to the New Year according to the Jewish calendar (Rosh Hashanah) will start on Wednesday evening at the Moscow Jewish Community Center.
Chief Rabbi of Russia Berel Lazar will congratulate guests. They will light candles and participate in the "prayer of the year": renowned cantor from New York Rabbi Shneur Zalman Baumgarten will chair the service, the Federation of the Jewish Communities of Russia told Interfax-Religion.
During the "prayer of the year" believers stand before God's judgment and each of them should report for the previous year, repent in evil deeds and thus return to God. People congratulate each other saying: "May a good decision on you be written down and sealed the coming year."
Festival concert will take place at the community center on the same day. Festival services will be held here on Thursday and then participants will blow the ritual horn - shofar in the yard. The sound of shofar urges believers to accept the Kingdom of God. In ancient times it was the way to celebrate enthronement of kings.
Jews start their chronology from the creation of the world and the coming year is 5771 for them.
The Jewish New Year is celebrated for two days. This feast is also considered the day of judgment when the Almighty considers people's deeds and decide on their future in the coming year.
According to the old Jewish tradition, names of all people living on Earth are written in the heavenly Book of Life. On Rosh Hashanah days, God writes in the book what destiny is in store for people: "Who will live and who will die, who will live quietly and who will be exposed to trials, who will be prosperous and who will be distressed, who will be rich and who will be poor."
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23