08 September 2010, 11:31
Russian Jews will ask God for forgiveness on first day of Jewish New Year
Moscow, September 8, Interfax - Celebrations dedicated to the New Year according to the Jewish calendar (Rosh Hashanah) will start on Wednesday evening at the Moscow Jewish Community Center.
Chief Rabbi of Russia Berel Lazar will congratulate guests. They will light candles and participate in the "prayer of the year": renowned cantor from New York Rabbi Shneur Zalman Baumgarten will chair the service, the Federation of the Jewish Communities of Russia told Interfax-Religion.
During the "prayer of the year" believers stand before God's judgment and each of them should report for the previous year, repent in evil deeds and thus return to God. People congratulate each other saying: "May a good decision on you be written down and sealed the coming year."
Festival concert will take place at the community center on the same day. Festival services will be held here on Thursday and then participants will blow the ritual horn - shofar in the yard. The sound of shofar urges believers to accept the Kingdom of God. In ancient times it was the way to celebrate enthronement of kings.
Jews start their chronology from the creation of the world and the coming year is 5771 for them.
The Jewish New Year is celebrated for two days. This feast is also considered the day of judgment when the Almighty considers people's deeds and decide on their future in the coming year.
According to the old Jewish tradition, names of all people living on Earth are written in the heavenly Book of Life. On Rosh Hashanah days, God writes in the book what destiny is in store for people: "Who will live and who will die, who will live quietly and who will be exposed to trials, who will be prosperous and who will be distressed, who will be rich and who will be poor."
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church outraged by inclusion of Metropolitan Onufry in Mirotvorets database 26 September 2018, 14:02
- Statements by Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod contradict Ukrainian traditions, appear to be attempt to fan conflict - Ukrainian Culture Ministry 26 September 2018, 12:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod calls on Verkhovnaya Rada not to pass laws aimed at canonical Church (updated) 25 September 2018, 18:09
- Synod of Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees appointment of 2 Constantinople exarchs as interference in internal affairs (updated) 25 September 2018, 17:24
- Ukrainian Metropolitan Onufry refuses to receive Constantinople's exarchs 24 September 2018, 11:08
- Ukrainian Church (Moscow Patriarchate) to see parallel institution set up by Constantinople as schismatic - chancellor 24 September 2018, 11:05
- About 1 billion rubles were collected for building the main church of Russian Military Forces 21 September 2018, 18:29
- Serbian Orthodox Church opposes Constantinople's claim to determine Ukrainian Church's future 21 September 2018, 16:57
- Moscow lacks at least 20 synagogues 21 September 2018, 13:13
- Metropolitan Onufry is Ukraine's sole canonical Orthodox leader - Jerusalem Church's exarch 20 September 2018, 18:45
- Jehovah's Witnesses detained in Perm 20 September 2018, 15:23
- Poroshenko promises state protection for clergy, laity of Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate who join unified local church 20 September 2018, 14:11
- Putin attends sanctification ceremony for foundation stone of military's main church at Patriot Park 20 September 2018, 10:00
- Russian Church to help Syria return to peaceful life - Patriarch Kirill 19 September 2018, 10:00
- Putin, Erdogan didn't discuss conflict between Russian Orthodox Church, Constantinople – Peskov 18 September 2018, 12:23
- Constantinople exarch in Kiev collects works of Ukrainian nationalists 18 September 2018, 10:20
- Constantinople's exarch says willing to cooperate with "Kiev Patriarchate" 17 September 2018, 19:01
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls Constantinople policy mean 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion recommends Constantinople to form "one local Church in America" 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses U.S. of deliberately destroying Russian Orthodox Church 17 September 2018, 11:32
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarchate of Constantinople status might be reviewed 14 September 2018, 21:55
- Patriarch Kirill's spokesman likens state of Moscow-Constantinople relations with yellow traffic light 14 September 2018, 21:53
- Moscow Patriarchate suspends mentioning of Patriarch Bartholomew in prayers at church services 14 September 2018, 21:48
- Constantinople Patriarchate has no right to interfere in Ukrainian church affairs - Metropolitan Onufry 14 September 2018, 15:29
- Constantinople has 'tradition' of encouraging schisms in Russian Orthodox Church - Patriarch Kirill 14 September 2018, 15:14
- Moldovan president proposes outlawing gay prides 14 September 2018, 14:31
- Kremlin following current session of Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church - Peskov 14 September 2018, 14:23
- UOC official believes most of its parishioners won't leave for Constantinople's "autocephaly" 14 September 2018, 09:43
- Russian Orthodox Church Holy Synod to hold extraordinary meeting on Sept 14 13 September 2018, 20:55
- Situation surrounding Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Kiev is state's brutal interference in Church affairs - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 September 2018, 17:15