08 September 2010, 11:31
Russian Jews will ask God for forgiveness on first day of Jewish New Year
Moscow, September 8, Interfax - Celebrations dedicated to the New Year according to the Jewish calendar (Rosh Hashanah) will start on Wednesday evening at the Moscow Jewish Community Center.
Chief Rabbi of Russia Berel Lazar will congratulate guests. They will light candles and participate in the "prayer of the year": renowned cantor from New York Rabbi Shneur Zalman Baumgarten will chair the service, the Federation of the Jewish Communities of Russia told Interfax-Religion.
During the "prayer of the year" believers stand before God's judgment and each of them should report for the previous year, repent in evil deeds and thus return to God. People congratulate each other saying: "May a good decision on you be written down and sealed the coming year."
Festival concert will take place at the community center on the same day. Festival services will be held here on Thursday and then participants will blow the ritual horn - shofar in the yard. The sound of shofar urges believers to accept the Kingdom of God. In ancient times it was the way to celebrate enthronement of kings.
Jews start their chronology from the creation of the world and the coming year is 5771 for them.
The Jewish New Year is celebrated for two days. This feast is also considered the day of judgment when the Almighty considers people's deeds and decide on their future in the coming year.
According to the old Jewish tradition, names of all people living on Earth are written in the heavenly Book of Life. On Rosh Hashanah days, God writes in the book what destiny is in store for people: "Who will live and who will die, who will live quietly and who will be exposed to trials, who will be prosperous and who will be distressed, who will be rich and who will be poor."
- Jehovah 's Witness in Tajikistan sent to jail for 6 months for refusing to wear army uniform 20 October 2017, 10:27
- Interior Ministry official suggests criminalizing gay propaganda 19 October 2017, 17:00
- Prominent Tajik heart surgeon detained on suspicion of links to Salafis – media 19 October 2017, 15:53
- Moscow mufti warns that foreign radical preachers want to sway CIS Muslim space 19 October 2017, 10:07
- Metropolitan Hilarion holds up protestant missionaries as an example for Orthodox priests 18 October 2017, 17:32
- Moscow court declines defense lawyers' appeal against arrest of Christian State leader Kalinin 18 October 2017, 17:12
- Investigative Committee to investigate consolidated case against Christian State leader 18 October 2017, 15:49
- Patriarch Kirill pays attention of the participants in the Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly to attempts of infringing canonical church in Ukraine 17 October 2017, 14:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges to base legislation on law of morals 16 October 2017, 17:17
- Metropolitan Hilarion is positive about works of priest-rapper 16 October 2017, 14:41
- Communication between people doesn't depend on political, religious differences - Putin at opening of Youth Festival in Sochi 16 October 2017, 10:29
- Christian State leader Kalinin charged with extremism 13 October 2017, 12:32
- Head of Russian Catholics speaks about confident improvement of relations with the Russian Orthodox Church 12 October 2017, 11:05
- Homes of suspected Hizb ut-Tahrir members searched in Bakhchisarai 11 October 2017, 18:59
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses the United States of the lack of democracy 11 October 2017, 17:21
- Catholics jointly with Orthodox believers will restore Orthodox churches in Syria 09 October 2017, 11:34
- Godless society will not conquer extremism - Vatican representative in Russia 06 October 2017, 18:48
- Religious leaders' dialogue promotes peaceful Karabakh settlement - head of Muslim Board of Caucasus 04 October 2017, 17:58
- Son of Russia's chief rabbi is involved in uniting Jews in Crimea 04 October 2017, 15:12
- Priest is not allowed to Russian pilot Yaroshenko in American prison 04 October 2017, 10:00
- Ingusheti preacher in averted assassination attempt already survived 03 October 2017, 11:47
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes softened U.S. stance on freedom of conscience in Russia 03 October 2017, 10:00
- Attempt on life of religious figure averted in Ingushetia 02 October 2017, 13:31
- State Duma deputies who watched Matilda see it as movie, give filmmaker right to realize idea 29 September 2017, 18:05
- Patriarch Kirill equals insulting believers' feelings to extremism 29 September 2017, 15:19
- Patriarch Kirill positively evaluates relations between Uzbekistan's Muslims, Orthodox 29 September 2017, 13:39
- Lukashenko suggests organizing meeting between Patriarch Kirill, pope in Minsk 28 September 2017, 13:59
- Metropolitan Hilarion draws pope's attention to discrimination threat to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 28 September 2017, 10:11
- Syrian authorities are doing everything to protect Christians – Russian MP 28 September 2017, 10:07
- Uzbek leader plans to meet with Patriarch Kirill 28 September 2017, 10:04