08 September 2010, 11:31
Russian Jews will ask God for forgiveness on first day of Jewish New Year
Moscow, September 8, Interfax - Celebrations dedicated to the New Year according to the Jewish calendar (Rosh Hashanah) will start on Wednesday evening at the Moscow Jewish Community Center.
Chief Rabbi of Russia Berel Lazar will congratulate guests. They will light candles and participate in the "prayer of the year": renowned cantor from New York Rabbi Shneur Zalman Baumgarten will chair the service, the Federation of the Jewish Communities of Russia told Interfax-Religion.
During the "prayer of the year" believers stand before God's judgment and each of them should report for the previous year, repent in evil deeds and thus return to God. People congratulate each other saying: "May a good decision on you be written down and sealed the coming year."
Festival concert will take place at the community center on the same day. Festival services will be held here on Thursday and then participants will blow the ritual horn - shofar in the yard. The sound of shofar urges believers to accept the Kingdom of God. In ancient times it was the way to celebrate enthronement of kings.
Jews start their chronology from the creation of the world and the coming year is 5771 for them.
The Jewish New Year is celebrated for two days. This feast is also considered the day of judgment when the Almighty considers people's deeds and decide on their future in the coming year.
According to the old Jewish tradition, names of all people living on Earth are written in the heavenly Book of Life. On Rosh Hashanah days, God writes in the book what destiny is in store for people: "Who will live and who will die, who will live quietly and who will be exposed to trials, who will be prosperous and who will be distressed, who will be rich and who will be poor."
- 82% of Russians consider unacceptable jokes about the Church 19 February 2018, 17:23
- Investigators probing Kizlyar shooter's affiliation with extremist organizations – Peskov 19 February 2018, 14:02
- Kadyrov says shocked by Kizlyar church attack 19 February 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill sees shooting in Dagestan as provocation aimed at causing discord between Orthodox, Muslims 19 February 2018, 10:39
- Patriarch tells Jordanian king about reason for meeting with pope 15 February 2018, 18:32
- Land for building a church in Portugal allotted to the Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2018, 19:09
- Azerbaijani religious leaders to discuss Aliyev in sermons before election 14 February 2018, 16:55
- Patriarch Kirill meets with Abbas, favors preserving Jerusalem's special status 14 February 2018, 13:12
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis haven't planned new meeting - Metropolitan Hilarion 12 February 2018, 18:23
- The Russian Church considers the Kremlin list as direct pressure of the USA on Russian authorities and electorate 12 February 2018, 14:42
- Chief rabbi of Russia - against initiative of Poland law-makers to punish for wording 'Polish death camps' 12 February 2018, 11:30
- Church School of Post-Graduate and Doctoral Studies obtained state accreditation in Russia 09 February 2018, 18:02
- Ukrainian Security Service initiates a case against UOC priest for a post with St. Georgy ribbon in Facebook 09 February 2018, 17:23
- Quotas for tourists visiting St. Basil’s cathedral can be introduced after 2019 09 February 2018, 13:05
- Russian pro-lifer thanks Trump for struggling against abortions 09 February 2018, 11:34
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the repose of Russian pilot Roman Filipov killed in Syria 09 February 2018, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill speaks of 'unprecedented pressure' for purpose of compromising Russia's sports achievements 05 February 2018, 11:05
- Catalogue of Christian shrines destroyed in Syria compiled by Orthodox and Catholics will be represented in Vienna 02 February 2018, 17:28
- Russian society not ready for pope to visit - Catholic priest 02 February 2018, 14:22
- Patriarch Kirill blessed Russian Olympic athletes, urging them to mind personal responsibility before the country 01 February 2018, 16:54
- An ambulance was bought on money saved on flowers for Patriarch Kirill 01 February 2018, 14:49
- Putin to congratulate Patriarch Kirill on anniversary of his enthronement on Thursday 01 February 2018, 12:41
- Twelve held in south Kazakhstan for extremism propaganda on social media 01 February 2018, 10:49
- Attempts to deny Holocaust, belittle USSR's role in victory over Nazis must be foiled - Putin 29 January 2018, 18:12
- Russian Jews call on Poland to allow Russia's participation in building Sobibor memorial 26 January 2018, 18:04
- Patriarch Kirill alarmed by spread of cryptocurrencies 25 January 2018, 17:19
- Cooperation with secular universities makes Islamic education 'fundamental' - Putin 25 January 2018, 17:04
- Russia without future if it follows Europe's example in issues of religion - Deputy Speaker Tolstoy 25 January 2018, 17:00
- Priest Grozovsky's lawyers file appeal in child abuse case 25 January 2018, 15:35
- Govt to continue supporting Islamic education – Putin 25 January 2018, 11:23