06 December 2005, 15:11
Ukrainian state department for religious affairs refutes reports about opening Patriarchate of Constantinople representations
Moscow, December 6, Interfax - Head of the state department for religious affairs of the Ukrainian Ministry of Justice Igor Bondarchuk said that his department ‘had not been charged with fulfilling assignments of governmental agencies’. It has neither received appeals from church leaders concerning opening of representations of the Patriarchate of Constantinople nor ‘ever initiated it’.
In response to the inquiry of a Supreme Rada deputy Vasily Khara about ‘an involvement of the state department for religious affairs in attempts to set up representations of the Patriarchate of Constantinople on the territory of Ukraine’, Bondarchuk explained that ‘in compliance with church order and canon law, a representation of a certain church on the canonical territory of another church’ can be opened only through ‘mutual agreement’.
The letter of the department’s head was received by Interfax on Tuesday.
Because information circulated in the mass media about ‘opening of representations of the Ecumenical Patriarch in Kiev has not been officially confirmed by the participants in the Zurich talks’, ‘it seems to be targeted at destabilization of Orthodox community’ in Ukraine.
Representatives of the Patriarchates of Moscow and Constantinople entered into negotiations on Ukrainian church problem in Zurich in 2001, and later met in Moscow in April 2003, in Istanbul in July 2003, and in Kiev in July 2004, a source in the Department for External Church Relations (DECR) of the Moscow Patriarchate told Interfax.
A participant in the talks archpriest Nikolai Balashov appreciated Bondarchuk’s statement and noted that ‘his arguments reflect the norms of Orthodox canon law and point out to the particular importance of stability in society’.
The representative of the Moscow Patriarchate underscored that leaders of the unrecognized Ukrainian churches have repeatedly announced the opening of the Constantinople representations in Kiev and Odessa last autumn, thus indicating active participation of the Ukrainian state in the process.
‘It is not for the first time that representatives of uncanonical Ukrainian communities, none of which local Orthodox churches recognize, make attempts to use the authority of Constantinople for imparting a would-be canon legitimacy to their groups’, DECR secretary stated.
- Patriach Kirill urges to consider the pandemic a chance to change for the better 08 April 2020, 11:11
- About 80 tons of matzo were delivered free for Pesach in Russia 06 April 2020, 19:35
- Four Moscow clergymen diagnosed with coronavirus, 4 suspected of having it - patriarchate 06 April 2020, 19:13
- Oldest synagogue in Russia celebrates its 140th anniversary 06 April 2020, 17:40
- Clerics hold air processions with cross against coronavirus above Volgograd and Kuzbass 06 April 2020, 15:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to sturdily face all "temporary difficulties" 03 April 2020, 18:07
- Patriarch Kirill going around Moscow with icon to rid people of coronavirus 03 April 2020, 17:47
- Almost all members of the Moscow Jewish Community recovered from Covid-19 03 April 2020, 17:10
- Russian Orthodox Church considers untimely forecasts about the form of Easter celebrations 03 April 2020, 16:43
- Heads of Jewish communities around the world urge to exchange words of support on the eve of Pesach 03 April 2020, 14:00
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52