06 December 2005, 15:11
Ukrainian state department for religious affairs refutes reports about opening Patriarchate of Constantinople representations
Moscow, December 6, Interfax - Head of the state department for religious affairs of the Ukrainian Ministry of Justice Igor Bondarchuk said that his department ‘had not been charged with fulfilling assignments of governmental agencies’. It has neither received appeals from church leaders concerning opening of representations of the Patriarchate of Constantinople nor ‘ever initiated it’.
In response to the inquiry of a Supreme Rada deputy Vasily Khara about ‘an involvement of the state department for religious affairs in attempts to set up representations of the Patriarchate of Constantinople on the territory of Ukraine’, Bondarchuk explained that ‘in compliance with church order and canon law, a representation of a certain church on the canonical territory of another church’ can be opened only through ‘mutual agreement’.
The letter of the department’s head was received by Interfax on Tuesday.
Because information circulated in the mass media about ‘opening of representations of the Ecumenical Patriarch in Kiev has not been officially confirmed by the participants in the Zurich talks’, ‘it seems to be targeted at destabilization of Orthodox community’ in Ukraine.
Representatives of the Patriarchates of Moscow and Constantinople entered into negotiations on Ukrainian church problem in Zurich in 2001, and later met in Moscow in April 2003, in Istanbul in July 2003, and in Kiev in July 2004, a source in the Department for External Church Relations (DECR) of the Moscow Patriarchate told Interfax.
A participant in the talks archpriest Nikolai Balashov appreciated Bondarchuk’s statement and noted that ‘his arguments reflect the norms of Orthodox canon law and point out to the particular importance of stability in society’.
The representative of the Moscow Patriarchate underscored that leaders of the unrecognized Ukrainian churches have repeatedly announced the opening of the Constantinople representations in Kiev and Odessa last autumn, thus indicating active participation of the Ukrainian state in the process.
‘It is not for the first time that representatives of uncanonical Ukrainian communities, none of which local Orthodox churches recognize, make attempts to use the authority of Constantinople for imparting a would-be canon legitimacy to their groups’, DECR secretary stated.
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13
- The Russian Church warns Constantinople about probable awkward situation its officials can face in Kiev on the Day of Russia's Baptism 17 July 2019, 18:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10
- Church split isn't matter for Russian, Ukrainian presidents - Russian Orthodox Church 15 July 2019, 11:16
- Rights of sexual minorities should not be violated in Russia – Moskalkova 10 July 2019, 14:10
- Priest's statement that women are less smart than men is nonsense - Russian human rights council head 10 July 2019, 11:50
- Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro 10 July 2019, 10:38
- Lukashenko denies rumors of secret talks he might have with Putin in Valaam 09 July 2019, 12:25
- Almost half of Jewish Europeans considering emigrating over antisemitism - report 08 July 2019, 18:41
- Women less smart than men - head of patriarch's commission 08 July 2019, 17:46
- Filaret 'Moscow's ally' - Orthodox Church of Ukraine 08 July 2019, 17:44
- Georgian priests demand square before parliament be cleared of protesters' banners 08 July 2019, 13:19
- Georgian LGBT community calls off Tbilisi action due to threats 08 July 2019, 12:06
- Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy 05 July 2019, 13:20
- Pope hails Russia's efforts to protect Christian holy places in Syria – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:09
- Putin, Pope Francis did not discuss latter's visit to Russia – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:07
- Putin talked with Pope Francis about protection of Christians in Syria 05 July 2019, 12:14
- Names of submariners killed in Barents Sea to be perpetuated on Kronstadt Naval Cathedral's walls 04 July 2019, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church hails contacts between Putin, Vatican 04 July 2019, 17:54
- Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated) 04 July 2019, 17:06
- Inviting Pope to Russia not to be raised during Putin's visit to Vatican - Ushakov 03 July 2019, 18:22
- Putin in Vatican to discuss restoration of Christian shrines in Syria, Roman Church's humanitarian projects in Donbas, Venezuela 03 July 2019, 18:20
- Filaret declares tomos granted by Constantinople to Ukraine false 02 July 2019, 18:03
- Peskov unaware whether Putin plans to invite Pope to Russia 01 July 2019, 14:39
- The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia 01 July 2019, 13:29
- Soil from royal family burial site in Yekaterinburg to be re-examined - Memorial of Romanovs foundation 01 July 2019, 10:55
- Elton John musical genius but errs on issue of attitudes towards gays in Russia – Putin 01 July 2019, 10:39
- Russian Orthodox Church offers to set up the rights of embryo in legislation 28 June 2019, 17:35
- Ukraine is turning in Waterloo for Patriarch Bartholomew, the Russian church official believes 28 June 2019, 17:32