02 December 2005, 13:36
Archbishop of Thyateira: Patriarchate of Constantinople grants exclusive recognition to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox church
Kiev, December 2, Interfax - The Patriarchate of Constantinople 'grants exclusive recognition to the canonical Ukrainian orthodox church' headed by Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev and All Ukraine, archbishop Gregorios of Thyateira and Great Britain who represented Patriarch Bartholomew at the recent 70th jubilee of the UOC primate, said.
Interfax got this information from press service of the Ukrainian church which is preparing a set of interviews given in Kiev by representatives of the Orthodox churches throughout the world.
A hierarch of the Patriarchate of Constantinople denounced the transfer of the see of the Ukrainian greek catholics from Lvov to Kiev and underscored that Bartholomew I assessed these actions as 'proselytic'. The archbishop said further that the Patriarchate of Constantinople sides with the Orthodox church in Ukraine in its pain caused by proselytic activities of the uniates and protestants, and also by the current schisms.
Head of the Greek diocese in Great Britain emphasized that the restoration of church unity was possible only 'through repentance' as 'the canons are the guideline which helps the church take correct decisions'.
As to the restitution of church property in Ukraine, archbishop Gregorios pointed out that 'state leaders and politicians should find a reasonable solution so that the things that are Caesar's be rendered to Caesar and to God the things that are God's' and added that 'the Church is the mother of all people.'
The guest conveyed Patriarch Bartholomew's wish to Metropolitan Vladimir for all ecclesiastical problems to be solved as soon as possible. 'He has the strength with his experience and wisdom, with support of laymen and clergy and in cooperation with the president and government to fulfil this task', the archbishop said.
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10
- Putin congratulates Patriarch Kirill on name day, suggests he loosen up work schedule 24 May 2019, 17:48