08 June 2009, 11:31
Russian Orthodox Church is concerned with the ambitions of the Constantinople Patriarchate in France
Paris, June 8, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate Diocese of Korsun accuses the Constantinople Church in actions that constitute a threat to the Orthodoxy in France.
"At the same time there are also real threats to Orthodoxy in France, which make us all think deeply over its future as we see increasingly alarming tendencies," says the Message of the Diocese of Korsun to the Secretariat of the 4th Pan-Orthodox Pre-Council Conference opened on June 6 in Chambesy, Switzerland, published by Interfax-Religion.
For the last several decades, two Orthodox jurisdictions are operative in France which both refer to themselves as Russian - the Moscow Patriarchate Diocese of Korsun and the Exarchate of Parishes of Russian Tradition in Western Europe governed by the Constantinople Church.
"Throughout the recent years we have seen a growing tendency of one jurisdiction's (the Constantinople - IF) dominance at the expense of the principle of conciliarity inherent in the Orthodox Church," the Message of the Diocese of Korsun reads.
The reason for this Message was the refusal of Metropolitan Emmanuel Adamakis, head of The Assembly of Orthodox Bishops in France, (the Constantinople Patriarchate) to include a hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad in this body.
In this regard, the document states that the Assembly "becomes ever more a tool for one jurisdiction to achieve its own goals, as its representative is the Assembly's permanent chairman."
The Diocese of Korsun says it's necessary that the chairman of the Assembly "should be elected by all its members since it is in the interests of all the Orthodox Churches. This will ensure a successful and fruitful coordination work of Orthodox Assemblies."
The authors of the Message expressed hope that the participants of the 4th Pan-Orthodox Pre-Council Conference would address the challenges existing in the Orthodox world of France.
Participants of the 4th Pan-Orthodox Pre-Council Conference in Chambesy will touch upon the topic of organizing Orthodox diaspora (Orthodox believers living out of borders of any local Orthodox Church).
Several centuries had passed after the last seventh Ecumenical Council and there are a lot of questions that need all-church solution for the sake of strengthening unity and avoiding schisms in one Orthodox Church.
To settle these questions it is planned to hold the Holy and Great Council of the Eastern Orthodox Church in foreseeable future.
It was decided to get ready for the Great Council by way of convening all-Orthodox pre-council consultations and inter-Orthodox preparatory commissions.
See the full text of Message under the Documents heading.
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12