02 June 2008, 10:24
36 detained for attempt to stage gay parade in Moscow
Moscow, June 2, Interfax - Thirty-six people have been detained for an attempt to stage gay parade on Tverskaya street in downtown Moscow on Sunday, the Information and Public Affairs Department of the Moscow Main Police Department told Interfax.
"Those detained were taken to Moscow police stations, but they are likely to be released after receiving routine instruction from police officials. No administrative protocols will be drawn up," police said.
Earlier that day the police have sealed Moscow's Tverskaya square in front of the Moscow government headquarters, where gay activists had planned to stage an unauthorized rally on Sunday.
The square has been fenced off and surrounded by regular and riot police. Police are also patrolling the entrances to Pushkinskaya and Okhotny Ryad metro stations, and a section of Tverskaya street between the two stations, an Interfax correspondent reported.
"Police have detained 15 nationalists, who threatened to throw eggs at gay activists, and took them to the local police department," a source in law enforcement services told the agency.
Earlier reports said that members of sexual minority groups plan to stage a gay parade in front of the Moscow government building. The Moscow authorities said permission for the action had been denied.
Some of the gay activists had locked themselves in a building on Tverskaya street from which they had hung out a poster demanding guarantees for the rights of homosexuals and criticizing Moscow mayor Yury Luzhkov.
The young man appeared near the building and told the press that he was in contact with the gay activists, who had locked themselves in the apartment. He also claimed that an action had been held earlier in the day on Nikitskaya street where the gay activists managed to walk several hundred meters holding a banner listing their demands.
As the young man was talking to the press, two young assailants attacked him. Both were detained by police.
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22
- Russian Orthodox Church denies coronavirus impact on Patriarch Kirill's foreign travel schedule 13 March 2020, 14:42