02 June 2008, 10:24
36 detained for attempt to stage gay parade in Moscow
Moscow, June 2, Interfax - Thirty-six people have been detained for an attempt to stage gay parade on Tverskaya street in downtown Moscow on Sunday, the Information and Public Affairs Department of the Moscow Main Police Department told Interfax.
"Those detained were taken to Moscow police stations, but they are likely to be released after receiving routine instruction from police officials. No administrative protocols will be drawn up," police said.
Earlier that day the police have sealed Moscow's Tverskaya square in front of the Moscow government headquarters, where gay activists had planned to stage an unauthorized rally on Sunday.
The square has been fenced off and surrounded by regular and riot police. Police are also patrolling the entrances to Pushkinskaya and Okhotny Ryad metro stations, and a section of Tverskaya street between the two stations, an Interfax correspondent reported.
"Police have detained 15 nationalists, who threatened to throw eggs at gay activists, and took them to the local police department," a source in law enforcement services told the agency.
Earlier reports said that members of sexual minority groups plan to stage a gay parade in front of the Moscow government building. The Moscow authorities said permission for the action had been denied.
Some of the gay activists had locked themselves in a building on Tverskaya street from which they had hung out a poster demanding guarantees for the rights of homosexuals and criticizing Moscow mayor Yury Luzhkov.
The young man appeared near the building and told the press that he was in contact with the gay activists, who had locked themselves in the apartment. He also claimed that an action had been held earlier in the day on Nikitskaya street where the gay activists managed to walk several hundred meters holding a banner listing their demands.
As the young man was talking to the press, two young assailants attacked him. Both were detained by police.
- Russian Church receives the first state certificate of registration in Africa 04 July 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill thinks no one can reformat Russia 04 July 2022, 17:11
- Mufti Tajuddin believes that no problem in the world can be solved without Russia 04 July 2022, 14:25
- Almost 20 people held during anti-LGBT protest in Tbilisi 04 July 2022, 10:02
- Ukrainian hackers attack website of Russian Orthodox Church's external relations dept 01 July 2022, 14:40
- Federal Penitentiary Service, which used to carry out death penalty, opposes its reintroduction 30 June 2022, 21:37
- Lavrov thanks the Jewish Museum of Moscow for carefully preserving the memory of important pages of history 30 June 2022, 11:37
- Founder of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Krasnoyarsk jailed for 6 years 27 June 2022, 19:42
- Izyum Diocese in Ukraine's Kharkov Region refuses to be independent of Russian Orthodox Church 27 June 2022, 16:19
- Borrell regrets Patriarch Kirill left off EU list of sanctioned individuals 27 June 2022, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls for dismissing doubt about rightness of Russian way 27 June 2022, 11:04
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10
- Russian court gives four Jehovah's Witnesses real jail time, suspended sentences in Trans-Baikal Territory 07 June 2022, 19:29
- Russian army averted damage to Sviatogorsk Lavra's historical and Orthodox monuments 07 June 2022, 15:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion relieved of duties as Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept chairman 07 June 2022, 15:03
- Only Local Council can change status of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Moscow Synod 07 June 2022, 15:01
- Crimean bishoprics directly subordinated to Patriarch Kirill 07 June 2022, 14:21