11 October 2005, 12:48
Ukrainian Church - it is destructive for Yushñhenko’s soul and the canonical Orthodoxy to open Constantinople’s church representations in Ukraine
Kiev, October 11, Interfax - The clergy of the Kherson diocese of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church made an open appeal to President Victor Yushchenko expressing concern over the intention to open a church representation of the Patriarchate of Constantinople in Ukraine.
“We beseech you, our brother in Christ, to stop and abandon the sinful ‘pseudo-church-building’”, they ask in the open letter communicated to Interfax on Tuesday.
The authors remind the president that ‘the power to govern the Church and to build it was given (by God - IF) two thousand year ago not to secular rulers but exclusively to Holy Apostles and to bishops of Christ as their canonical successors’.
The appeal was signed by Archbishop Ionafan of Kherson and Tavrida and the diocesan clergy.
It was prompted by the Ukrainian president’s statements about the need to unite the faithful in the country ‘into one Local Church’ and by circulating reports that the government intends to set up church representations of the Patriarchate of Constantinople in churches belonging to the unrecognized Kievan Patriarchate and the self-styled Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church.
‘Your invitation to representatives of the Church of Constantinople to come to Ukraine without the knowledge of the God-established hierarchy’ is ‘arbitrary’, the authors of the appeal note.
They are convinced that this step is ‘an evidence of arrogance’ and as such ruinous for the salvation of Yushchenko’s soul, while the plan developed by the authorities ‘violates the age-old ethical and sacred canonical norms adopted in relations among the Orthodox sees of Local Churches’.
The clergy reminded the Ukrainian president that despite the power to govern the state entrusted to him, he ‘as a Christian is only a son of the Church’, not its head.
Forgetting about that, ‘Brother Victor’, in their view, has approached ‘the edge separating the true sheep of Christ’s flock from the sons of perdition’.
The authors point out that they also favour ‘speedy reunification of our fallen-away brothers and sisters in the UOC/KP and the UAOC in the fold of one Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church of Christ’, but remind that the these religious organizations are not recognized by ‘the canonical plenitude of the Universal Church of Christ’.
‘The Kievan Patriarchate’ in particular, the clergy of the UOC believe, is a ‘sinful schism, a fruit of political passions, a mirage in a desert’, and the Orthodox world sees in it a ‘schismatic sinful structure’.
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13
- The Russian Church warns Constantinople about probable awkward situation its officials can face in Kiev on the Day of Russia's Baptism 17 July 2019, 18:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10
- Church split isn't matter for Russian, Ukrainian presidents - Russian Orthodox Church 15 July 2019, 11:16
- Rights of sexual minorities should not be violated in Russia – Moskalkova 10 July 2019, 14:10
- Priest's statement that women are less smart than men is nonsense - Russian human rights council head 10 July 2019, 11:50
- Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro 10 July 2019, 10:38
- Lukashenko denies rumors of secret talks he might have with Putin in Valaam 09 July 2019, 12:25
- Almost half of Jewish Europeans considering emigrating over antisemitism - report 08 July 2019, 18:41
- Women less smart than men - head of patriarch's commission 08 July 2019, 17:46
- Filaret 'Moscow's ally' - Orthodox Church of Ukraine 08 July 2019, 17:44
- Georgian priests demand square before parliament be cleared of protesters' banners 08 July 2019, 13:19
- Georgian LGBT community calls off Tbilisi action due to threats 08 July 2019, 12:06
- Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy 05 July 2019, 13:20
- Pope hails Russia's efforts to protect Christian holy places in Syria – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:09
- Putin, Pope Francis did not discuss latter's visit to Russia – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:07
- Putin talked with Pope Francis about protection of Christians in Syria 05 July 2019, 12:14
- Names of submariners killed in Barents Sea to be perpetuated on Kronstadt Naval Cathedral's walls 04 July 2019, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church hails contacts between Putin, Vatican 04 July 2019, 17:54
- Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated) 04 July 2019, 17:06
- Inviting Pope to Russia not to be raised during Putin's visit to Vatican - Ushakov 03 July 2019, 18:22
- Putin in Vatican to discuss restoration of Christian shrines in Syria, Roman Church's humanitarian projects in Donbas, Venezuela 03 July 2019, 18:20
- Filaret declares tomos granted by Constantinople to Ukraine false 02 July 2019, 18:03
- Peskov unaware whether Putin plans to invite Pope to Russia 01 July 2019, 14:39
- The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia 01 July 2019, 13:29
- Soil from royal family burial site in Yekaterinburg to be re-examined - Memorial of Romanovs foundation 01 July 2019, 10:55
- Elton John musical genius but errs on issue of attitudes towards gays in Russia – Putin 01 July 2019, 10:39
- Russian Orthodox Church offers to set up the rights of embryo in legislation 28 June 2019, 17:35
- Ukraine is turning in Waterloo for Patriarch Bartholomew, the Russian church official believes 28 June 2019, 17:32