11 October 2005, 12:48
Ukrainian Church - it is destructive for Yushñhenko’s soul and the canonical Orthodoxy to open Constantinople’s church representations in Ukraine
Kiev, October 11, Interfax - The clergy of the Kherson diocese of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church made an open appeal to President Victor Yushchenko expressing concern over the intention to open a church representation of the Patriarchate of Constantinople in Ukraine.
“We beseech you, our brother in Christ, to stop and abandon the sinful ‘pseudo-church-building’”, they ask in the open letter communicated to Interfax on Tuesday.
The authors remind the president that ‘the power to govern the Church and to build it was given (by God - IF) two thousand year ago not to secular rulers but exclusively to Holy Apostles and to bishops of Christ as their canonical successors’.
The appeal was signed by Archbishop Ionafan of Kherson and Tavrida and the diocesan clergy.
It was prompted by the Ukrainian president’s statements about the need to unite the faithful in the country ‘into one Local Church’ and by circulating reports that the government intends to set up church representations of the Patriarchate of Constantinople in churches belonging to the unrecognized Kievan Patriarchate and the self-styled Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church.
‘Your invitation to representatives of the Church of Constantinople to come to Ukraine without the knowledge of the God-established hierarchy’ is ‘arbitrary’, the authors of the appeal note.
They are convinced that this step is ‘an evidence of arrogance’ and as such ruinous for the salvation of Yushchenko’s soul, while the plan developed by the authorities ‘violates the age-old ethical and sacred canonical norms adopted in relations among the Orthodox sees of Local Churches’.
The clergy reminded the Ukrainian president that despite the power to govern the state entrusted to him, he ‘as a Christian is only a son of the Church’, not its head.
Forgetting about that, ‘Brother Victor’, in their view, has approached ‘the edge separating the true sheep of Christ’s flock from the sons of perdition’.
The authors point out that they also favour ‘speedy reunification of our fallen-away brothers and sisters in the UOC/KP and the UAOC in the fold of one Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church of Christ’, but remind that the these religious organizations are not recognized by ‘the canonical plenitude of the Universal Church of Christ’.
‘The Kievan Patriarchate’ in particular, the clergy of the UOC believe, is a ‘sinful schism, a fruit of political passions, a mirage in a desert’, and the Orthodox world sees in it a ‘schismatic sinful structure’.
- Half of Russians in favor of helping France restore Notre Dame de Paris - poll 23 April 2019, 14:51
- Patriarch Kirill: Zelensky given historic chance to unite people of Ukraine (updated) 23 April 2019, 13:38
- Law on renaming Ukrainian Orthodox Church still in effect despite court ruling - Rada speaker 23 April 2019, 12:55
- Rehabilitating Bandera's supporters may end in Ukraine under Zelensky - Russian Jewish community leader 22 April 2019, 21:16
- Russian Jewish Congress to rebuild yeshiva in wake of arson during Passover 22 April 2019, 19:32
- Court in Kiev puts renaming of UOC on holdCourt in Kiev puts renaming of UOC on hold 22 April 2019, 18:12
- Zelensky victory will reduce nationalism in Ukraine - Russian Jews 22 April 2019, 16:47
- UOC on Poroshenko election failure: God treats authorities the way authorities treat the Church 22 April 2019, 16:45
- Head of UOC blesses Zelensky to serve Ukraine 22 April 2019, 12:45
- Georgian presidential administration chief Zhvania quits 22 April 2019, 10:45
- Notre Dame fire is menacing sign to all Europe, including Russia - Patriarch Kirill's press secretary 19 April 2019, 21:05
- Russia ready to help France with Notre Dame fire inquiry - emergency minister 19 April 2019, 18:06
- Over 100 tons of matzo produced in Russia on the eve of Passover 18 April 2019, 18:02
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences over the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral 18 April 2019, 13:30
- Bortnikov warns about 1,500 trained Islamist terrorists returning to Europe 18 April 2019, 13:21
- FSB director says concerned about anti-Islamic terrorism, psycho killers 18 April 2019, 11:36
- Russian Church about Notre Dame fire: the world will never be the same 17 April 2019, 11:19
- Kremlin announces readiness to send Russian specialists to help restore Notre Dame in Paris 16 April 2019, 12:32
- Parishioners return to the restored Armenian church in Aleppo 16 April 2019, 12:06
- Russian Culture Ministry to propose organizing fundraiser to help restore Paris' Notre Dame 16 April 2019, 12:02
- Putin offers sympathy over Notre Dame Cathedral fire, offers sending best Russian specialists to Paris – Kremlin 16 April 2019, 12:00
- Russian Orthodox priest believes "real men" exist only in the Special Forces 15 April 2019, 17:40
- Lavrov, Patriarch Kirill discuss church crisis in Ukraine, Christian presence in Middle East 15 April 2019, 10:51
- Peter the Great's charter by which he appoints Metropolitan of Kiev delivered to Ukraine from Germany 15 April 2019, 10:50
- Crosses dismantled in Kuropaty have nothing to do with perpetuation of memory of Stalinist-era victims - Belarusian Ministry of Forestry 12 April 2019, 09:15
- Tajik court sentences former functionary of prohibited Islamic party to 15 years in prison 10 April 2019, 14:19
- Passover to prevent Jews from voting on April 21 "before star-rise" - Ukraine's chief rabbi 09 April 2019, 19:05
- Kiev court finds involuntary renaming of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church to be unlawful 08 April 2019, 10:56
- Synod conducts rotation of Patriarch Kirill's vicars 05 April 2019, 15:44
- Beautification works, dismantling of illegally erected crosses underway at Kuropaty 05 April 2019, 10:47