16 September 2005, 12:25
Chancellor of Ukrainian canonical church: Opening of representations of the Patriarchate of Constantinople in Ukraine is inadmissible
Kiev, September 16, Interfax - Chancellor of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Archbishop Mitrofan of Pereyaslav-Khmelnitsky called the opening of representations of the Patriarchate of Constantinople in Ukraine ‘disagreeing with common sense.’
He considers this move of Constantinople an ‘intervention into internal affairs of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church,’ UOC press service reported.
Archbishop Mitrofan said that the opening of the representations was ‘an initiative of state structures’, and this is a direct intervention of the state into Church affairs.
‘This contradicts the statements by the Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko who said that the authorities had no right to intervene into church affairs. The state behind the back of Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev and All Ukraine is negotiating with representatives of Constantinople about the opening of representations,’ the hierarch noted.
Archbishop Mitrofan addressed the Ukrainian authorities and all those involved in the process on the inadmissibility of opening the Constantinople representations in Ukraine. ‘This initiative outrages on the norms of relations between the Orthodox Churches and evokes deep public indignation,’ he noted.
He is convinced that such representations will complicate the situation and bring about another schism that will end the unity of Ukrainian Orthodoxy forever. ‘These representations will destabilize the ecclesiastical situation and never become centers for the process leading to unity’, chancellor of the canonical Ukrainian Church thinks.
Archbishop Mitrofan also reported that the opening of Constantinople representations was discussed at the Council of an uncanonical group - the ‘Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church’ (UAOC) in August. Among participants were Filaret Denisenko, leader of another self-proclaimed group - the ‘Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Kievan Patriarchate’, and presidential adviser on science A.Sagan.
Archbishop Mitrofan said that presidential advisers were deeply mistaken in their forecasts concerning representations and integration of schismatics as they did not take church reality into account. Economic, political, social, and religious problems will aggravate and confrontation between the Churches will deepen.
The UAOC leader Mefody Kudriakov said earlier that a hierarch of the Patriarchate of Constantinople Hilarion (Rudnik) negotiated with the UAOC and Kievan Patriarchate so actively because state authorities are interested in opening the Constantinople representations.
- Over 100 tons of matzo produced in Russia on the eve of Passover 18 April 2019, 18:02
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences over the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral 18 April 2019, 13:30
- Bortnikov warns about 1,500 trained Islamist terrorists returning to Europe 18 April 2019, 13:21
- FSB director says concerned about anti-Islamic terrorism, psycho killers 18 April 2019, 11:36
- Russian Church about Notre Dame fire: the world will never be the same 17 April 2019, 11:19
- Kremlin announces readiness to send Russian specialists to help restore Notre Dame in Paris 16 April 2019, 12:32
- Parishioners return to the restored Armenian church in Aleppo 16 April 2019, 12:06
- Russian Culture Ministry to propose organizing fundraiser to help restore Paris' Notre Dame 16 April 2019, 12:02
- Putin offers sympathy over Notre Dame Cathedral fire, offers sending best Russian specialists to Paris – Kremlin 16 April 2019, 12:00
- Russian Orthodox priest believes "real men" exist only in the Special Forces 15 April 2019, 17:40
- Lavrov, Patriarch Kirill discuss church crisis in Ukraine, Christian presence in Middle East 15 April 2019, 10:51
- Peter the Great's charter by which he appoints Metropolitan of Kiev delivered to Ukraine from Germany 15 April 2019, 10:50
- Crosses dismantled in Kuropaty have nothing to do with perpetuation of memory of Stalinist-era victims - Belarusian Ministry of Forestry 12 April 2019, 09:15
- Tajik court sentences former functionary of prohibited Islamic party to 15 years in prison 10 April 2019, 14:19
- Passover to prevent Jews from voting on April 21 "before star-rise" - Ukraine's chief rabbi 09 April 2019, 19:05
- Kiev court finds involuntary renaming of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church to be unlawful 08 April 2019, 10:56
- Synod conducts rotation of Patriarch Kirill's vicars 05 April 2019, 15:44
- Beautification works, dismantling of illegally erected crosses underway at Kuropaty 05 April 2019, 10:47
- Rabbi Lazar thanks Putin for his help in returning home Israeli soldier's remnants 04 April 2019, 19:01
- Head of OCU congratulates NATO on anniversary, calls to protect freedom from evil together 04 April 2019, 15:33
- Religious communities in Russia begin joint efforts for restoring schools in Syria 04 April 2019, 10:59
- Ukraine's new church fears possibility of tomos revocation 04 April 2019, 10:26
- 750,000 abortions performed in Russia annually, only one-fifth for medical reasons 03 April 2019, 14:29
- Russian Church calls on OSCE to boost religious freedom monitoring in Ukraine 03 April 2019, 12:25
- Karabakh settlement process cannot be one-way road - Catholicos of All Armenians 03 April 2019, 12:19
- ECHR to consider case of discrimination against UOC community in Rovno Region 01 April 2019, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's Jewish community outraged with new Rammstein video 29 March 2019, 18:28
- Kiev court to consider Church's name change lawsuit against Culture Ministry 29 March 2019, 18:22
- Kremlin follows St. Isaac's Cathedral situation, but refrains from comment 29 March 2019, 14:36
- Crimea's Muslim board urges local Muslims not to get in touch with sect members 29 March 2019, 11:03