16 September 2005, 12:25
Chancellor of Ukrainian canonical church: Opening of representations of the Patriarchate of Constantinople in Ukraine is inadmissible
Kiev, September 16, Interfax - Chancellor of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Archbishop Mitrofan of Pereyaslav-Khmelnitsky called the opening of representations of the Patriarchate of Constantinople in Ukraine ‘disagreeing with common sense.’
He considers this move of Constantinople an ‘intervention into internal affairs of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church,’ UOC press service reported.
Archbishop Mitrofan said that the opening of the representations was ‘an initiative of state structures’, and this is a direct intervention of the state into Church affairs.
‘This contradicts the statements by the Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko who said that the authorities had no right to intervene into church affairs. The state behind the back of Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev and All Ukraine is negotiating with representatives of Constantinople about the opening of representations,’ the hierarch noted.
Archbishop Mitrofan addressed the Ukrainian authorities and all those involved in the process on the inadmissibility of opening the Constantinople representations in Ukraine. ‘This initiative outrages on the norms of relations between the Orthodox Churches and evokes deep public indignation,’ he noted.
He is convinced that such representations will complicate the situation and bring about another schism that will end the unity of Ukrainian Orthodoxy forever. ‘These representations will destabilize the ecclesiastical situation and never become centers for the process leading to unity’, chancellor of the canonical Ukrainian Church thinks.
Archbishop Mitrofan also reported that the opening of Constantinople representations was discussed at the Council of an uncanonical group - the ‘Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church’ (UAOC) in August. Among participants were Filaret Denisenko, leader of another self-proclaimed group - the ‘Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Kievan Patriarchate’, and presidential adviser on science A.Sagan.
Archbishop Mitrofan said that presidential advisers were deeply mistaken in their forecasts concerning representations and integration of schismatics as they did not take church reality into account. Economic, political, social, and religious problems will aggravate and confrontation between the Churches will deepen.
The UAOC leader Mefody Kudriakov said earlier that a hierarch of the Patriarchate of Constantinople Hilarion (Rudnik) negotiated with the UAOC and Kievan Patriarchate so actively because state authorities are interested in opening the Constantinople representations.
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10
- Putin congratulates Patriarch Kirill on name day, suggests he loosen up work schedule 24 May 2019, 17:48