16 September 2005, 12:25
Chancellor of Ukrainian canonical church: Opening of representations of the Patriarchate of Constantinople in Ukraine is inadmissible
Kiev, September 16, Interfax - Chancellor of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Archbishop Mitrofan of Pereyaslav-Khmelnitsky called the opening of representations of the Patriarchate of Constantinople in Ukraine ‘disagreeing with common sense.’
He considers this move of Constantinople an ‘intervention into internal affairs of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church,’ UOC press service reported.
Archbishop Mitrofan said that the opening of the representations was ‘an initiative of state structures’, and this is a direct intervention of the state into Church affairs.
‘This contradicts the statements by the Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko who said that the authorities had no right to intervene into church affairs. The state behind the back of Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev and All Ukraine is negotiating with representatives of Constantinople about the opening of representations,’ the hierarch noted.
Archbishop Mitrofan addressed the Ukrainian authorities and all those involved in the process on the inadmissibility of opening the Constantinople representations in Ukraine. ‘This initiative outrages on the norms of relations between the Orthodox Churches and evokes deep public indignation,’ he noted.
He is convinced that such representations will complicate the situation and bring about another schism that will end the unity of Ukrainian Orthodoxy forever. ‘These representations will destabilize the ecclesiastical situation and never become centers for the process leading to unity’, chancellor of the canonical Ukrainian Church thinks.
Archbishop Mitrofan also reported that the opening of Constantinople representations was discussed at the Council of an uncanonical group - the ‘Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church’ (UAOC) in August. Among participants were Filaret Denisenko, leader of another self-proclaimed group - the ‘Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Kievan Patriarchate’, and presidential adviser on science A.Sagan.
Archbishop Mitrofan said that presidential advisers were deeply mistaken in their forecasts concerning representations and integration of schismatics as they did not take church reality into account. Economic, political, social, and religious problems will aggravate and confrontation between the Churches will deepen.
The UAOC leader Mefody Kudriakov said earlier that a hierarch of the Patriarchate of Constantinople Hilarion (Rudnik) negotiated with the UAOC and Kievan Patriarchate so actively because state authorities are interested in opening the Constantinople representations.
- Kremlin expects Israel to remain committed to decision on Alexander Metochion's handover 09 April 2020, 18:45
- Russian Muslim board allows burying coronavirus victims without ablution 09 April 2020, 15:03
- Russian clergy drive through New York with the cross against coronavirus 09 April 2020, 13:36
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan recovered from coronavirus and plans a charity concert in Moscow cathedral 09 April 2020, 12:27
- Putin congratulates Jews on Pesach 09 April 2020, 11:58
- Russia to seek return of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem in court - Stepashin 08 April 2020, 18:48
- The unemployed man detained in St. Petersburg for making inscription about coronavirus on a church wall 08 April 2020, 15:16
- About 80,000 Jewish families in Russia received a set of Kosher food on Pesach 08 April 2020, 14:53
- Patriach Kirill urges to consider the pandemic a chance to change for the better 08 April 2020, 11:11
- About 80 tons of matzo were delivered free for Pesach in Russia 06 April 2020, 19:35
- Four Moscow clergymen diagnosed with coronavirus, 4 suspected of having it - patriarchate 06 April 2020, 19:13
- Oldest synagogue in Russia celebrates its 140th anniversary 06 April 2020, 17:40
- Clerics hold air processions with cross against coronavirus above Volgograd and Kuzbass 06 April 2020, 15:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to sturdily face all "temporary difficulties" 03 April 2020, 18:07
- Patriarch Kirill going around Moscow with icon to rid people of coronavirus 03 April 2020, 17:47
- Almost all members of the Moscow Jewish Community recovered from Covid-19 03 April 2020, 17:10
- Russian Orthodox Church considers untimely forecasts about the form of Easter celebrations 03 April 2020, 16:43
- Heads of Jewish communities around the world urge to exchange words of support on the eve of Pesach 03 April 2020, 14:00
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08