28 May 2007, 10:41
Moscow authorities applaud police performance during attempted gay parade
Moscow, May 28, Interfax - Law enforcers acted resolutely and politely during the illegal attempt to hold a gay parade in Moscow, deputy head of the city administration press service Mikhail Solomentsev told Interfax.
"We must point to the clear, coordinated and polite actions of the police that acted strictly in the framework of law," he said.
He said that the police prevented an unauthorized rally of activists of gay movement who hoped to organize it despite the ban in Tverskaya square.
He said that that at about 11:30 a.m. a group of journalists gathered in the square waiting to see what would happen.
"Several individuals opposed to the plans of a gay parade hoped to mix with the journalists but police officers did not let them to the square," Solomentsev said. At 12:15 p.m. the representatives of sexual minorities who had planned to hold a rally arrived at the square on six cars, among them member of the German Bundestag Volker Beck, member of the State Duma Alexey Mitrofanov and a member of the legislative assembly of Bashkortostan Edward Murzin.
"Upon arrival they immediately approached journalists but several opponents to the gay movement managed to remain in the crowd and tried to attack the gays. For instance, one of them attacked a 55-year-old British citizen," Solomentsev said.
He added that the police prevented a collision and detained the attacker. He said that a total of 30 persons were detained in the city center for various breaches of conduct, 18 of them members of the gay movement.
"The attempted attack on gay activists once again proves that the city authorities had done right by prohibiting the parade and thus preventing bad clashes between the opponents who are numerous in this country and advocates of sexual minorities," Solomentsev said.
He said that the city government will continue preventing such illegal actions whoever may try to stage them, including activists of the gay movement.
- Founder of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Krasnoyarsk jailed for 6 years 27 June 2022, 19:42
- Izyum Diocese in Ukraine's Kharkov Region refuses to be independent of Russian Orthodox Church 27 June 2022, 16:19
- Borrell regrets Patriarch Kirill left off EU list of sanctioned individuals 27 June 2022, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls for dismissing doubt about rightness of Russian way 27 June 2022, 11:04
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10
- Russian court gives four Jehovah's Witnesses real jail time, suspended sentences in Trans-Baikal Territory 07 June 2022, 19:29
- Russian army averted damage to Sviatogorsk Lavra's historical and Orthodox monuments 07 June 2022, 15:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion relieved of duties as Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept chairman 07 June 2022, 15:03
- Only Local Council can change status of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Moscow Synod 07 June 2022, 15:01
- Crimean bishoprics directly subordinated to Patriarch Kirill 07 June 2022, 14:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls Belarus a truly sovereign state 06 June 2022, 12:52
- Process of transfer of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem to Russia to be completed in foreseeable future - Russian FM 03 June 2022, 19:51
- Friendship of Slavic peoples to stand test of time - Patriarch Kirill 02 June 2022, 10:00
- Lavrov, OIC secretary general discuss causes of escalation in int'l relations 01 June 2022, 10:00
- Borrell's remarks on Russian patriarch give Kiev 'sanction' to persecute canonical Church – Moscow Patriarchate 31 May 2022, 18:21
- Another Donbass diocese disagrees with UOC decision to proclaim independence 31 May 2022, 17:50
- Chisinau mayor says won't allow LGBT pride parade to happen 31 May 2022, 17:22