29 January 2007, 16:11
Gay-parade organizer sues Luzhkov ‘for personal injury’
Moscow, January 29, Interfax - Nikolay Alexeyev, organizer of the failed gay parade last May, intends to sue Moscow Mayor Yury Luzhkov for ‘having insulted him and the peaceful and democratic aims the gay parade set itself’.
Speaking at the opening of the 15th Christmas Educational Readings on Monday in Moscow, Luzhkov reminded the audience that last year the Moscow authorities brought pressure to bear on supporters of the gay parade ‘which cannot be called anything but satanic action’, and promised to bar another gay parade in the capital.
‘We are shocked by Mr. Luzhkov’s statement that the gay parade is a satanic action and see in it a personal injury to the organizers and potential participants in the gay parade’, Alexeyev said to Interfax, noting that such statements addressed to ‘an enormous number of people of homosexual orientation living in Russia are not appropriate to such a high-ranking official’.
He said the Moscow Mayor’s statement ‘would not be a surprise for a reader of medieval historical books but to hear such comparisons in the 21st century and from the mayor of the largest city in Europe at that is simply a scandal’.
‘Certainly, it will not be left without a response from our side’, the gay parade organizer said promising to sue Luzhkov personally.
Besides, the Moscow mayor’s statement, according to Alexeyev, is ‘another proof for the European Court of Human Rights that ‘the true reasons for banning the gay parade in Moscow was not at all a concern for the security of the participants but an elementary cave-man’s aversion to homosexuality’.
On Monday the organizers of the Moscow gay parade also lodged a complaint against Russia with the Strasbourg court demanding a compensation worth of 20 thousand euro and promised to stage another gay parade in Moscow on May 27, 2007.
- Founder of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Krasnoyarsk jailed for 6 years 27 June 2022, 19:42
- Izyum Diocese in Ukraine's Kharkov Region refuses to be independent of Russian Orthodox Church 27 June 2022, 16:19
- Borrell regrets Patriarch Kirill left off EU list of sanctioned individuals 27 June 2022, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls for dismissing doubt about rightness of Russian way 27 June 2022, 11:04
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10
- Russian court gives four Jehovah's Witnesses real jail time, suspended sentences in Trans-Baikal Territory 07 June 2022, 19:29
- Russian army averted damage to Sviatogorsk Lavra's historical and Orthodox monuments 07 June 2022, 15:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion relieved of duties as Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept chairman 07 June 2022, 15:03
- Only Local Council can change status of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Moscow Synod 07 June 2022, 15:01
- Crimean bishoprics directly subordinated to Patriarch Kirill 07 June 2022, 14:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls Belarus a truly sovereign state 06 June 2022, 12:52
- Process of transfer of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem to Russia to be completed in foreseeable future - Russian FM 03 June 2022, 19:51
- Friendship of Slavic peoples to stand test of time - Patriarch Kirill 02 June 2022, 10:00
- Lavrov, OIC secretary general discuss causes of escalation in int'l relations 01 June 2022, 10:00
- Borrell's remarks on Russian patriarch give Kiev 'sanction' to persecute canonical Church – Moscow Patriarchate 31 May 2022, 18:21
- Another Donbass diocese disagrees with UOC decision to proclaim independence 31 May 2022, 17:50
- Chisinau mayor says won't allow LGBT pride parade to happen 31 May 2022, 17:22