22 November 2006, 14:54
Moscow Patriarchate is against Constantinople’s attempts to intervene in other Orthodox Churches’ affairs
Moscow, November 22, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church denies that the Patriarchate of Constantinople can intervene in internal affairs of other Churches and urges to prevent division in the Orthodox world.
‘We deny the Patriarchate of Constantinople’s capacity to intervene in the jurisdiction of other Churches. This idea separates us from Rome at present,’ said the Chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad at the opening of the annual Radonezh festival of Orthodox films and TV programmes that took place in St. Nicholas’ church at the Tretyakov Gallery on Wednesday.
The Metropolitan remarked that the Orthodox Church is keeping its unity. The Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Russian Orthodox Church are in the eucharistic (liturgical) unity.
‘This unity must be preserved. One should not react to any provocations because of which this unity may be frustrated,’ he underscored.
According to Metropolitan Kirill, ‘the world would have looked differently,’ had Rome and Constantinople not divided in the 11th century.
‘We should prevent a division in the Orthodox world,’ the hierarch of the Russian Church underscored.
He remarked that an untraditional perception of the role and importance of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, ‘in no way connected with the canonical tradition of the Orthodox Church,’ began to develop in Constantinople in the early 20th century resulting in the split of Orthodoxy in the Baltic countries, Finland, Poland and within Russian emigration.
‘We do not think that the Patriarch of Constantinople is invested with powers as far as other local Orthodox Churches are concerned. We think there is no such a centre to which [the Orthodox Churches] can appeal. Only the Pan-Orthodox Council could play the part of this centre,’ Metropolitan Kirill said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople has recently taken in its jurisdiction in violation of canonical rights the former administrator of the Sourozh diocese of the Russian Church Bishop Basil (Osborne) and supported schismatic groups in Ukraine.
- Russia to seek return of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem in court - Stepashin 08 April 2020, 18:48
- The unemployed man detained in St. Petersburg for making inscription about coronavirus on a church wall 08 April 2020, 15:16
- About 80,000 Jewish families in Russia received a set of Kosher food on Pesach 08 April 2020, 14:53
- Patriach Kirill urges to consider the pandemic a chance to change for the better 08 April 2020, 11:11
- About 80 tons of matzo were delivered free for Pesach in Russia 06 April 2020, 19:35
- Four Moscow clergymen diagnosed with coronavirus, 4 suspected of having it - patriarchate 06 April 2020, 19:13
- Oldest synagogue in Russia celebrates its 140th anniversary 06 April 2020, 17:40
- Clerics hold air processions with cross against coronavirus above Volgograd and Kuzbass 06 April 2020, 15:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to sturdily face all "temporary difficulties" 03 April 2020, 18:07
- Patriarch Kirill going around Moscow with icon to rid people of coronavirus 03 April 2020, 17:47
- Almost all members of the Moscow Jewish Community recovered from Covid-19 03 April 2020, 17:10
- Russian Orthodox Church considers untimely forecasts about the form of Easter celebrations 03 April 2020, 16:43
- Heads of Jewish communities around the world urge to exchange words of support on the eve of Pesach 03 April 2020, 14:00
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40