21 July 2022, 17:28
Tajik president warns of danger of religious extremism ideology
Cholpon-Ata, Kyrgyzstan, July 21, Interfax - Religions extremism is the most serious challenge for Central Asian countries, Tajik President Emomali Rahmon said during a consultative meeting of the leaders of the Central Asian states on Thursday.
"The latest events in our countries show that certain forces are harboring plans to destabilize the situation in the region. The most serious challenge to the region is the extremely destructive ideology of religious extremism," Rahmon said.
The circulation of Salafi and Wahhabi ideas "cause concerns," he said.
"The latest events have shown that radical religious extremists are capable of taking advantage of any protest sentiment in our society to attain their self-serving ends," Rahmon said.
"Attention should always be focused" on the problem of Afghanistan, he said.
"The Taliban [banned in Russia as a terrorist organization] has not undertaken tangible steps to persuade the global community that it is controlling the situation in the country. On the contrary, the Taliban leadership is doing all it can to obstruct the establishment of an inclusive government heeding the interests of various ethnic groups," he said.
Various ethnic groups are being discriminated against in Afghanistan, he said.
Cholpon-Ata in the Issyk-Kul region of Kyrgyzstan is hosting the fourth consultative meeting between the leaders of the Central Asian states on Thursday. The presidents of Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, and Tajikistan have arrived in Kyrgyzstan to take part in the meeting.
- Russian Church warns the West against "slipping into a bestial state" 23 September 2022, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill declares the futility of attempts to intimidate the Russians 19 September 2022, 14:04
- Religious leaders call for ending conflicts, bloodshed in the world at congress in Nur-Sultan 15 September 2022, 14:49
- Some 10,000 believers attending papal mass in Kazakh capital 14 September 2022, 17:16
- Russian Supreme Court brands as terrorist, bans Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan 14 September 2022, 11:42
- Pontiff urges religious leaders to help settle conflicts through dialogue 14 September 2022, 11:41
- Patriarch Kirill: attempts to build world order without relying on moral values led to fierce confrontation 14 September 2022, 11:40
- Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan elected new First Hierarch of Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia 13 September 2022, 20:42
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges world to react to Azerbaijan's actions 13 September 2022, 15:42
- Pope Francis arrives in Kazakhstan's capital 13 September 2022, 15:38
- Russian State Duma may hold hearings on LGBT propaganda ban in Oct-Nov 13 September 2022, 14:50
- Latvian Orthodox Church chooses not to argue with govt about its status 12 September 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill calls Elizabeth II symbol of sustainability of centuries-old traditions for entire Europe 09 September 2022, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church on declaration of Latvian Church's autocephaly by parliament: they surpassed Middle Ages 08 September 2022, 21:45
- Latvian Saeima endorses law on independence of Latvian Orthodox Church 08 September 2022, 19:06
- WCC refuses to accuse Russian Orthodox Church despite pressure 08 September 2022, 17:03
- Court in Primorye overrules order committing Yakutia shaman Gabyshev to hospital 08 September 2022, 10:31
- Russian ombudsman calls for moratorium on death penalty in DPR 07 September 2022, 14:42
- Patriarch Kirill highlights Russia's special role in modern history 06 September 2022, 17:35
- Riga seeking independence of Latvian Orthodox Church from Moscow Patriarchate (updated) 05 September 2022, 17:44
- Russian Orthodox Church outraged by interference of Latvian secular authorities in church affairs 05 September 2022, 15:32
- World Council of Churches refuses to isolate Russian Orthodox Church delegation at its assembly 01 September 2022, 21:32
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses German president of putting pressure on World Council of Churches 01 September 2022, 14:23
- Russian Orthodox Church views Kyiv's sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as PR campaign 31 August 2022, 17:25
- Fines for LGBT propaganda to be from 50,000 to 200,000 rubles for citizens, foreigners may be deported from Russia 31 August 2022, 16:42
- Ukrainian govt approves proposed sanctions against Patriarch Kirill 31 August 2022, 09:56
- Bishops' Council postponed indefinitely due to global situation - Russian Orthodox Church 25 August 2022, 21:06
- Patriarch Kirill calls nationalism a cancerous tumor that can affect entire nation 22 August 2022, 12:43
- FSB reports detention of 6 terrorist cell members in Dzhankoi, Yalta 17 August 2022, 12:02
- Almost all the priests of one of the African countries wants to join the Russian Church 16 August 2022, 10:01