06 May 2022, 12:06
Ukrainian Orthodox Church says bans on its activities imposed by local authorities have no legal force
Moscow, May 6, Interfax - The Ukrainian Orthodox Church has told local authorities the ban on the activities of its communities and attempts to move them under the new church of Ukraine are unacceptable.
Such incidents happened in various regions of Ukraine after the start of the Russian special military operation. The most recent such situation has recently happened in Konotop, where the city's mayor issued a decree banning the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
The legal department of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church said in a statement released on Friday that no Ukrainian law or regulation empowers local self-governance bodies to ban or interfere in the work of religious organizations, even in a situation of martial law.
"And the demand made by officials and local self-governance bodies to move the religious communities of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church under the newly formed Orthodox church of Ukraine constitutes interference in the internal affairs of a religious community. It contradicts the European Convention on Human Rights and the Ukrainian Constitution as "the church and religious organizations in Ukraine are separated from the state," the statement said.
In this regard, the church legal department said that "decisions banning the activities of the religious communities of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church or forcing [them] to move under the Orthodox Church of Ukraine are illegal and have no legal force." The lawyers called on the local authorities not to violate the laws of Ukraine, not to ban and not to limit the right of the flock and religious communities of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church to freedom of religion and encouraged law enforcement agencies to react to such violations in a timely and impartial manner.
- Russian Church receives the first state certificate of registration in Africa 04 July 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill thinks no one can reformat Russia 04 July 2022, 17:11
- Mufti Tajuddin believes that no problem in the world can be solved without Russia 04 July 2022, 14:25
- Almost 20 people held during anti-LGBT protest in Tbilisi 04 July 2022, 10:02
- Ukrainian hackers attack website of Russian Orthodox Church's external relations dept 01 July 2022, 14:40
- Federal Penitentiary Service, which used to carry out death penalty, opposes its reintroduction 30 June 2022, 21:37
- Lavrov thanks the Jewish Museum of Moscow for carefully preserving the memory of important pages of history 30 June 2022, 11:37
- Founder of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Krasnoyarsk jailed for 6 years 27 June 2022, 19:42
- Izyum Diocese in Ukraine's Kharkov Region refuses to be independent of Russian Orthodox Church 27 June 2022, 16:19
- Borrell regrets Patriarch Kirill left off EU list of sanctioned individuals 27 June 2022, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls for dismissing doubt about rightness of Russian way 27 June 2022, 11:04
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10
- Russian court gives four Jehovah's Witnesses real jail time, suspended sentences in Trans-Baikal Territory 07 June 2022, 19:29
- Russian army averted damage to Sviatogorsk Lavra's historical and Orthodox monuments 07 June 2022, 15:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion relieved of duties as Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept chairman 07 June 2022, 15:03
- Only Local Council can change status of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Moscow Synod 07 June 2022, 15:01
- Crimean bishoprics directly subordinated to Patriarch Kirill 07 June 2022, 14:21