26 October 2021, 16:55
Lawyer appeals court ban of Male State
Nizhny Novgorod, October 26, Interfax - The decision by the Nizhny Novgorod regional court, which on October 18 found Male State, an unregistered inter-regional group, to be an extremist organization and banned its operation in Russia, has been appealed.
"The appeal was filed by a lawyer," the court's press service told Interfax on Tuesday.
The claimant in this case was the acting prosecutor of the Nizhny Novgorod Region, while the related parties were the Volga Federal District branch of Russian telecoms watchdog Rozkomnadzor and the Russian Justice Ministry's department for the Nizhny Novgorod Region.
The respondents were three persons - Vladislav Pozdnyakov, Igor Nosov, and Dmitry Gubanov - and the unregistered interregional movement Male State.
None of the three respondents in the case showed up in court.
After the hearing, Pozdnyakov's lawyer Dzambolat Gabarayev told reporters of their intention to appeal the ruling.
Male State online community founder Pozdnyakov received a two-year suspended prison sentence in Nizhny Novgorod in December 2018.
According to investigators, Pozdnyakov set up a group on a social medial platform where he posted photos and videos designed to foment hatred toward women. He also had supporters. Pozdnyakov later pleaded guilty to all charges.
The Sovetsky District Court of Nizhny Novgorod overturned Pozdnyakov's sentence in March 2019 after the extremism article was partly decriminalized.
According to the media, the Male State closed subscriber group was set up in 2016. Its members also entered the spotlight during the 2018 FIFA World Cup as they discussed Russian women spotted together with foreign football fans.
Male State, whose members share sexist and homophobic views, appeared on the VK social media platform in mid-2018, but access to it was blocked in 2020. Some media outlets reported in late summer 2021 that different people and organizations were receiving threats from the Male State community, which was trying to force them to act in a certain way.
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarch Kirill of Moscow might meet with Pope Francis, no date, venue planned so far (updated) 06 December 2021, 17:54
- Most Russians say mocking church, national history, customs of other peoples unacceptable – poll 06 December 2021, 12:26
- Matviyenko views push for LGBT agenda, other alien values as unacceptable 06 December 2021, 11:10
- Russian Church believes that Russia's foreign enemies behind anti-vaxxer campaign in country 06 December 2021, 10:08
- Lawyers for defrocked priest Sergy to appeal conviction 30 November 2021, 18:13
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy sentenced to 3.5 years in prison (updated) 30 November 2021, 17:16
- Patriarch Kirill believes that the Kingdom of Heaven is bigger than cosmos 30 November 2021, 11:18
- Jews of Russia against celebrating Hanukkah together with Christmas in mixed families 30 November 2021, 11:12
- The anti-Covid restrictions on Hanukkah in Russia have been slightly relaxed 30 November 2021, 11:02
- Hermitage cat Seraphima goes to work in the Peter and Paul Cathedral 30 November 2021, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Kazakhstan to Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions 26 November 2021, 16:18
- Some "missionaries" of an extremist organization banned in the Russia convicted in Saratov 26 November 2021, 16:14
- The head of Belarusian Orthodox Church urged to treat migrants as "aliens" 24 November 2021, 15:39
- Rabbi Lazar concerned that the pandemic sometimes considered a Jewish conspiracy 24 November 2021, 15:33
- Patriarch Kirill describes ecclesiastical split in Ukraine as his personal woe 22 November 2021, 19:33
- Covid-19 pandemic won't last long, but will allow humanity to critically assess its capabilities - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 16:52
- Patriarch Kirill views Russia as leader of free world 22 November 2021, 16:35
- Russian Orthodox Church denies U.S. claims of violations of religious freedom in Russia 22 November 2021, 11:05
- Problem of church schism in Ukraine may be resolved through dialogue - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 11:02
- Putin bestows Order of St. Andrew on Patriarch Kirill, notes highest regard to him in Russia, abroad 22 November 2021, 10:54
- Jehovah's Witnesses elders detained in Russia's Astrakhan Region 18 November 2021, 16:45
- Court in Moscow fines Muz-TV 1 mln rubles for propaganda of homosexuality among minors 17 November 2021, 15:40
- Website of Side by Side festival blocked for forming positive attitude toward LGBT content 17 November 2021, 15:38
- Imam and one more person killed in Dagestani village shooting 12 November 2021, 20:25
- Prosecution service detects justification of terrorism, extremism in materials of Memorial human rights center 12 November 2021, 17:59
- Cell of Nurjular extremist organization, banned in Russia, shut down in Tatarstan 12 November 2021, 17:09
- The Russian synagogues didn't turn off the lights until morning In memory of the Kristallnacht 10 November 2021, 10:14
- Russian PM satisfied with Pope's attitude to Moscow's views on int'l issues 09 November 2021, 21:55
- MP does not rule out eventual genomic registration of all Russians 04 November 2021, 10:29
- Russian Church warns against turning vaccination into factor of national division 02 November 2021, 19:55