24 September 2021, 17:24
Patriarch of Constantinople who visited Kiev has no right to speak on behalf of Orthodox world - Russian Church
Moscow, September 24, Interfax - The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church has condemned the recent visit by Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople to Kiev.
"The arrival in Kiev by Patriarch Bartholomew and the people accompanying him without an invitation from the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia, Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine and the lawful hierarchs of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church is recognized as a major violation of the canons," according to the journals of the Synod session, which ended in Moscow on Friday.
The session participants said the visit by Patriarch Bartholomew, "which exposes his dependence on forces that are external to the Church" is "purely political" and condemned the continuing "anti-canonical actions" by the Constantinople patriarch, which are aimed at destroying the unity of Orthodoxy.
The administration of the Russian Orthodox Church believes that Patriarch Bartholomew lost the trust of millions of believers by supporting the schism in Ukraine. "In a situation where a majority of the world's Orthodox Christians do not have church communion with him, he no longer has the right to speak on behalf of all global Orthodoxy and present himself as its leader," the Synod said in a final document.
The Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church confirmed the adherence of the Moscow Patriarchate to the norms of canonical law and the universally recognized principles of inter-Orthodox cooperation, its openness to all-Orthodox discussions on the current situation in the world's Orthodoxy and emphasized that the responsibility for undermining the unity of the Orthodox Church rests wholly with Patriarch Bartholomew.
In closing, the Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate expressed support to Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine, the archpriests, priests and the entire canonical Ukrainian church.
According to earlier reports, Patriarch Bartholomew visited Kiev on August 20-24 at the invitation of the secular administration of Ukraine on the occasion of the 30th anniversary of the country's independence.
- Lawyer appeals court ban of Male State 26 October 2021, 16:55
- Lukashenko said it would be un-Christian to refuse to sell electricity to Lithuania and Ukraine 26 October 2021, 15:26
- Scythian gold may be kept at Sophia of Kiev sanctuary 26 October 2021, 15:13
- Russian Church assured that vaccination won't be mandatory for its priests 25 October 2021, 12:00
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for mandating Covid-19 vaccination for clerics 25 October 2021, 11:58
- Patriarch Kirill calls the Gospel the best consulting for a modern person 25 October 2021, 11:52
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses arrested in Moscow for involving people in activities of extremist organization 25 October 2021, 11:40
- Russian synagogues don't plan to close during upcoming non-working days 22 October 2021, 17:48
- Putin asking Western civilization 'to steer clear of our home' 21 October 2021, 20:33
- Website of Russian Dept for External Church Relations hacked 20 October 2021, 18:07
- The Internet is able to cross out everything that the school gives - Patriarch Kirill 20 October 2021, 10:04
- Five supporters of the caliphate were detained in Karachay-Cherkessia 20 October 2021, 10:00
- School student detained for shooting in Perm Territory shouted that he was guided by the 'God's instructions' 18 October 2021, 12:34
- Patriarch Kirill's meeting with Pope not under preparation yet - Metropolitan Hilarion 18 October 2021, 10:19
- Russian Church Bishops' Council postponed until May 2022 due to coronavirus 15 October 2021, 18:20
- Patriarch Kirill considered the preservation of Russia after the twists and turns of the 20th century a miracle 14 October 2021, 17:29
- War in Nagorno-Karabakh in fall 2020 didn't solve conflict - Catholicos of All Armenians 13 October 2021, 19:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Azerbaijan, Armenia to avoid language of hatred 13 October 2021, 19:19
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Armenia, Azerbaijan religious leaders can influence minds of conflicting parties in Karabakh 13 October 2021, 14:16
- Religious summit on Karabakh settlement is on in Moscow 13 October 2021, 13:57
- Taliban govt's recognition to depend on situation surrounding Afghan women's rights – Matviyenko 12 October 2021, 19:22
- Vatican to open embassy in Armenia 12 October 2021, 10:00
- Religious leaders of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Russia to meet in Moscow 11 October 2021, 12:39
- Rabbi Lazar wishes Putin to live up to 120 years 08 October 2021, 15:10
- Court in St. Petersburg fines man for justifying terror attack in New Zealand 08 October 2021, 14:54
- Catholicos-Patriarch of Georgia asks Saakashvili to stop hunger strike 07 October 2021, 19:17
- Twice as many people killed in Babi Yar massacre than named at Nuremberg Trials – Zelensky 07 October 2021, 10:44
- House of Romanov says military's attendance at wedding ceremony in St. Petersburg agreed upon 07 October 2021, 10:00
- Risks of creation of new terrorist caliphates declining worldwide - Russian Security Council 06 October 2021, 18:27
- Office of Iranian Supreme Leader's representative in Baku mosque closed 06 October 2021, 12:21