23 September 2021, 15:22
Court dismisses appeal against forcible treatment of Yakutia shaman Gabyshev
Yakutsk, September 23, Interfax - The Supreme Court of Yakutia has dismissed an appeal from the defense of shaman Alexander Gabyshev and has upheld the Yakutsk City Court ruling that committed the shaman to hospital.
"The court has fully dismissed the appeal. The Yakutsk City Court ruling that commits Gabyshev to a specialized medical institution with intensive monitoring takes effect today," the shaman's lawyer Alexey Pryanishnikov told Interfax.
It is still unknown which hospital Gabyshev will be taken to.
In the words of Pryanishnikov, they will soon file an appeal with a cassation court and are prepared to go as far as the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR).
Gabyshev briefly commented on the charges (extremism and violence against a person in authority) in his final statement, the lawyer said. The shaman believes there is no formal element of a crime in his actions, which only reacted to the illegal entry into his house by Russian National Guard officers.
Gabyshev said his case was political and stemmed from his comments on the situation in the country.
It was reported earlier that Gabyshev announced his new "march to Moscow" that was scheduled to begin in March 2021.
In March 2019, Gabyshev began an 8,000-kilometer journey to Moscow, in order to "drive away" the president and "restore the people's power." The trek was meant to last two years.
In the fall of 2019, a criminal case based on public calls for extremism was opened against Gabyshev. He was detained several times and eventually ended his journey.
A state examination found Gabyshev insane. On May 12, 2020, he was committed to a psychiatric hospital. He stayed there until July 22.
Earlier this year, a criminal case was opened against Gabyshev for using violence against a police officer. The inquiry centers on an incident on January 27, 2021, when a medical worker arrived at Gabyshev's home together with Russian Guard officers to bring him to a Yakutsk psychiatric hospital for a routine examination after the shaman refused to receive treatment.
According to investigators, when the officers entered Gabyshev's home, he attacked one of them and wounded him with a sword.
Shortly after that, a court committed Gabyshev to a psychiatric hospital for the second time.
- Lawyer appeals court ban of Male State 26 October 2021, 16:55
- Lukashenko said it would be un-Christian to refuse to sell electricity to Lithuania and Ukraine 26 October 2021, 15:26
- Scythian gold may be kept at Sophia of Kiev sanctuary 26 October 2021, 15:13
- Russian Church assured that vaccination won't be mandatory for its priests 25 October 2021, 12:00
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for mandating Covid-19 vaccination for clerics 25 October 2021, 11:58
- Patriarch Kirill calls the Gospel the best consulting for a modern person 25 October 2021, 11:52
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses arrested in Moscow for involving people in activities of extremist organization 25 October 2021, 11:40
- Russian synagogues don't plan to close during upcoming non-working days 22 October 2021, 17:48
- Putin asking Western civilization 'to steer clear of our home' 21 October 2021, 20:33
- Website of Russian Dept for External Church Relations hacked 20 October 2021, 18:07
- The Internet is able to cross out everything that the school gives - Patriarch Kirill 20 October 2021, 10:04
- Five supporters of the caliphate were detained in Karachay-Cherkessia 20 October 2021, 10:00
- School student detained for shooting in Perm Territory shouted that he was guided by the 'God's instructions' 18 October 2021, 12:34
- Patriarch Kirill's meeting with Pope not under preparation yet - Metropolitan Hilarion 18 October 2021, 10:19
- Russian Church Bishops' Council postponed until May 2022 due to coronavirus 15 October 2021, 18:20
- Patriarch Kirill considered the preservation of Russia after the twists and turns of the 20th century a miracle 14 October 2021, 17:29
- War in Nagorno-Karabakh in fall 2020 didn't solve conflict - Catholicos of All Armenians 13 October 2021, 19:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Azerbaijan, Armenia to avoid language of hatred 13 October 2021, 19:19
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Armenia, Azerbaijan religious leaders can influence minds of conflicting parties in Karabakh 13 October 2021, 14:16
- Religious summit on Karabakh settlement is on in Moscow 13 October 2021, 13:57
- Taliban govt's recognition to depend on situation surrounding Afghan women's rights – Matviyenko 12 October 2021, 19:22
- Vatican to open embassy in Armenia 12 October 2021, 10:00
- Religious leaders of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Russia to meet in Moscow 11 October 2021, 12:39
- Rabbi Lazar wishes Putin to live up to 120 years 08 October 2021, 15:10
- Court in St. Petersburg fines man for justifying terror attack in New Zealand 08 October 2021, 14:54
- Catholicos-Patriarch of Georgia asks Saakashvili to stop hunger strike 07 October 2021, 19:17
- Twice as many people killed in Babi Yar massacre than named at Nuremberg Trials – Zelensky 07 October 2021, 10:44
- House of Romanov says military's attendance at wedding ceremony in St. Petersburg agreed upon 07 October 2021, 10:00
- Risks of creation of new terrorist caliphates declining worldwide - Russian Security Council 06 October 2021, 18:27
- Office of Iranian Supreme Leader's representative in Baku mosque closed 06 October 2021, 12:21