24 December 2020, 15:11
Leader of Catholic Church in Belarus Kondrusiewicz returns to country
Minsk, December 24, Interfax - Archbishop of Minsk and Mogilyov Tadeusz Kondrusiewicz has returned to Belarus, a spokesperson for the Catholic Church in Belarus told Interfax on Thursday.
The church announced Kondrusiewicz's participation in Christmas celebrations in Minsk on Thursday and Friday.
"Archbishop Kondrusiewicz will pray together with the congregation on Christmas in Minsk: on December 24 and December 25, he will lead the Christmas masses at two Catholic churches in Minsk," the Catholic Church in Belarus said on its website.
As reported earlier, Belarusian Foreign Minister Vladimir Makei said on December 22 that Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko asked him to find a solution to the situation surrounding the leader of the Catholic Church in Belarus.
The same day, the Vatican embassy was informed that there were no obstacles for Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus.
In September, Belarus denied Kondrusiewicz entry on the way from Poland and gave no explanation. The metropolitan is a Belarusian citizen. Lukashenko said at the time that the archbishop "travelled to Poland and received advice on how to destroy the country." The Roman Catholic Church in Belarus published on its website extracts from Kondrusiewicz' interview with the Polish Catholic TV Trwam channel, in which he claimed that the August 9 presidential election in Belarus was "not fair."
Belarus has seen continuous protests against the official results of the August 9 presidential election. The authorities declared the incumbent head of state, Alexander Lukashenko, the winner. Lukashenko has been in office since 1994. The opposition has not recognized the results of the presidential election, saying they were falsified. The protesters are demanding Lukashenko's resignation, the release of political prisoners, and a new election.
- Kiev expects icon gifted to Lavrov in Sarajevo to be returned to Ukraine 15 January 2021, 17:46
- Arrested former schema-monk Sergy ends his hunger strike 15 January 2021, 16:49
- ECHR finds unproven accusations of Kiev in Russia's refusal to register religious organizations in Crimea 14 January 2021, 14:38
- Federal Penitentiary Service denies reports on deteriorating health of former schema-hegumen Sergy 14 January 2021, 14:10
- IOPS chairman says is 99% certain Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem will be returned to Russia this year 13 January 2021, 14:36
- Circus in Russia's Udmurtia says photos of animals with Nazi symbols Christmas celebration that caused scandal were taken out of context 13 January 2021, 13:24
- Supporter of Urals ex-schema-monk Sergy arrested in new case 12 January 2021, 17:29
- Emeritus Patriarchal Exarch of All Belarus Philaret dies 12 January 2021, 16:51
- Yakutian 'shaman' Gabyshev plans new 'march on Moscow' 12 January 2021, 15:28
- Arrested ex-schema-monk Sergy goes on dry hunger strike - Public Monitoring Commission 12 January 2021, 10:00
- Extremists may take advantage of new anti-money laundering regulations for religious organizations - State Duma committee 11 January 2021, 17:00
- Hockey player Datsyuk, actress Shukshina ask Putin to look into circumstances of former schema-hegumen Sergy's detention in Urals 11 January 2021, 16:23
- Christmas interview of Patriarch Kirill to Rossia TV (a shortened version) 11 January 2021, 10:10
- Decision on where icon gifted to Lavrov truly belongs can be made only after examination - Russian Orthodox Church 08 January 2021, 15:34
- Patriarch Kirill calls those who do not believe in danger of Covid-19 'stupid' 08 January 2021, 15:31
- Hagia Sophia's conversion into mosque Patriarch Bartholomew's divine retribution - Russian Church head 07 January 2021, 17:41
- Putin grateful to Syrian people for preserving Christian holy relics 07 January 2021, 17:39
- Hope, expectation of miracle human's guiding light - Putin 07 January 2021, 17:36
- Pope Francis accepts Belarusian Catholic leader Kondrusiewicz's resignation 03 January 2021, 17:18
- Russian Orthodox Church postpones Christmas Readings to Easter due to Covid-19 pandemic 30 December 2020, 19:01
- Moscow court arrests ex-schema-monk Sergy for 2 months 29 December 2020, 21:14
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy suspected of persuading 10 nuns to commit suicide 29 December 2020, 20:58
- Russian Bishops' Council to be held on November 15-18, 2021 29 December 2020, 19:57
- Russian Orthodox Church wished Russians to keep faith, hope and love 28 December 2020, 13:16
- Leader of Catholic Church in Belarus Kondrusiewicz returns to country 24 December 2020, 15:11
- Lukashenko reminds Belarusians of forgiveness, help to needy in Christmas Eve message 24 December 2020, 10:41
- Jehovah's Witness from Rostov-on-Don given suspended sentence 24 December 2020, 10:16
- Russia hands icon presented earlier to Lavrov in Sarajevo to embassy of Bosnia and Herzegovina in Moscow 23 December 2020, 18:08
- Head of Belarusian Catholics can return to country 23 December 2020, 10:04
- Biden's idea of allowing gender transitioning from age 8 'unacceptable' - Russian Orthodox Church 22 December 2020, 18:06