09 October 2020, 10:04
Head of Jewish organization of Nazi concentration camp and ghetto prisoners dies
Moscow, October 9, Interfax - The head of the presidium of the Jewish organization for prisoners of Nazi concentration camps and ghettoes (the Roof Movement), Aron Zusman, died in Moscow on October 7 at the age of 83, the press service of Russia's Chief Rabbi Berel Lazar said on Thursday.
Zusman founded and led the organization since April 1992. "Having been himself a child prisoner of the 'Deadly Noose' concentration camp, he knew well the needs and problems of his organization members, offering empathy, respect and care to everyone who asked for help," the statement said.
The organization provided Holocaust victims with social, medical, psychological and legal rehabilitation victims of the Holocaust.
Lazar said that Zusman was dear to him as someone who had fought for many years to preserve the historical truth, perpetuate the memory about victims of the Holocaust, for the rights of those who survived the horrors of the Nazi camps and ghettoes. In Jewish tradition, dying does not mean disappearing, he recalled.
"God entrusted Aron Grigoryevich with a big task, which he fulfilled with honor over his long life, becoming a live example for many. And if we remember the lessons of the man who was dear to us, and if we follow his example, then this man will live on, even though he now left us," the rabbi said in a letter of condolence to the family.
Zusman will be buried at the new Jewish Vostryakovo cemetery at 2 p.m. on Friday.
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15
- Estonia to hold a referendum on marriage as a union of man and woman in spring 22 October 2020, 19:50
- Russian Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov dies 21 October 2020, 20:31
- Attackers of Hasid teens in Uman must be brought to account - Ukraine's foreign minister 20 October 2020, 10:43
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz in Vatican, discusses his return to Belarus 20 October 2020, 10:41
- Catholics conveyed a church in the center of Spanish Granada to Moscow Patriarchate 15 October 2020, 18:29
- Head of Russian Catholics contracts coronavirus 15 October 2020, 15:18
- The first Russian doctoral thesis on Islamic theology earned 15 October 2020, 14:03
- FJCR considers Kiev's order to pray for pogrom-makers an insult of the Jewish people 15 October 2020, 13:42
- A source learned about the death of another child from a surrogate mother in St. Petersburg 15 October 2020, 12:35
- Church against exploiting Russian women as surrogate mothers by foreigners 13 October 2020, 20:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for putting end to bloodshed in Nagorno-Karabakh 13 October 2020, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill tests negative for coronavirus 12 October 2020, 10:14
- Baku dismisses accusations of shelling upon cathedral in Nagorno-Karabakh 09 October 2020, 18:12
- Ecological park inspired by a local bishop opened in Omsk 09 October 2020, 17:28
- Jews will celebrate the feast of Torah with restrictions due to coronavirus 09 October 2020, 17:08
- JW couple gets suspended sentences in Kostroma 09 October 2020, 17:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls pandemic the last call for humanity 09 October 2020, 16:39
- Head of Jewish organization of Nazi concentration camp and ghetto prisoners dies 09 October 2020, 10:04
- Azerbaijan renews attack on church in Shushi, Stepanakert claims 08 October 2020, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill in quarantine after contact with coronavirus patient (updated) 08 October 2020, 18:15
- Unrecognized Karabakh head promises to rebuild cathedral destroyed in Azerbaijan's missile strike 08 October 2020, 17:35
- New Vatican ambassador to arrive in Belarus on Oct 11 08 October 2020, 17:21
- Organizer, 5 followers of Ulyanovsk Jehovah's Witnesses group get suspended prison terms 08 October 2020, 15:51
- Coronavirus restrictions re-introduced in Russian synagogues 08 October 2020, 14:42
- Islamist suspected of attempt to carry out terrorist attack in court, prosecutor's office detained in Stavropol 07 October 2020, 17:01
- Orthodox bishop of Kyrgyzstan urges citizens to pray for peace 06 October 2020, 15:40
- Many-storeyed business center in Kiev in honor of pride month will be illuminated with a rainbow flag 06 October 2020, 13:59