08 October 2020, 18:15
Patriarch Kirill in quarantine after contact with coronavirus patient (updated)
Moscow, October 8, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia did not attend the traditional event marking the repose of Saint Sergius of Radonezh, which is marked on October 8, because he is quarantined.
"I would like to say with deep regret that I cannot share the joy of prayer communion with you this time. The reason is my recent contact with a person who was diagnosed with coronavirus infection. The time needed for my personal quarantine in accordance with the medical recommendations is not over yet. I decided that I cannot put you all at risk of being infected," the patriarch said in his letter to Bishop Foma, locum of the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius, published on Thursday.
The patriarch said the current pandemic is a serious trial, which shows the strength of prayer.
"There are two ways out of any trial, including this one: either the person breaks and loses faith and hope for God's help or he comes out of the situation stronger, with the realization that everything happens according to the Divine Providence. I hope to God that all trials will strengthen our people in faith and will cause many people to turn to Christ," the patriarch said.
In the meantime, Russian Orthodox Church spokesperson Vladimir Legoyda said Patriarch Kirill remains healthy after his contact with a coronavirus patient.
"The patriarch of the Russian Church remains in good health, he feels well, he continues working remotely," he said on Telegram on Thursday.
Legoyda said he is certain that the patriarch's self-isolation "is an example of a responsible attitude and care about the safety of the people near him in the conditions of the spread of the coronavirus infection."
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15
- Estonia to hold a referendum on marriage as a union of man and woman in spring 22 October 2020, 19:50
- Russian Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov dies 21 October 2020, 20:31
- Attackers of Hasid teens in Uman must be brought to account - Ukraine's foreign minister 20 October 2020, 10:43
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz in Vatican, discusses his return to Belarus 20 October 2020, 10:41
- Catholics conveyed a church in the center of Spanish Granada to Moscow Patriarchate 15 October 2020, 18:29
- Head of Russian Catholics contracts coronavirus 15 October 2020, 15:18
- The first Russian doctoral thesis on Islamic theology earned 15 October 2020, 14:03
- FJCR considers Kiev's order to pray for pogrom-makers an insult of the Jewish people 15 October 2020, 13:42
- A source learned about the death of another child from a surrogate mother in St. Petersburg 15 October 2020, 12:35
- Church against exploiting Russian women as surrogate mothers by foreigners 13 October 2020, 20:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for putting end to bloodshed in Nagorno-Karabakh 13 October 2020, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill tests negative for coronavirus 12 October 2020, 10:14
- Baku dismisses accusations of shelling upon cathedral in Nagorno-Karabakh 09 October 2020, 18:12
- Ecological park inspired by a local bishop opened in Omsk 09 October 2020, 17:28
- Jews will celebrate the feast of Torah with restrictions due to coronavirus 09 October 2020, 17:08
- JW couple gets suspended sentences in Kostroma 09 October 2020, 17:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls pandemic the last call for humanity 09 October 2020, 16:39
- Head of Jewish organization of Nazi concentration camp and ghetto prisoners dies 09 October 2020, 10:04
- Azerbaijan renews attack on church in Shushi, Stepanakert claims 08 October 2020, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill in quarantine after contact with coronavirus patient (updated) 08 October 2020, 18:15
- Unrecognized Karabakh head promises to rebuild cathedral destroyed in Azerbaijan's missile strike 08 October 2020, 17:35
- New Vatican ambassador to arrive in Belarus on Oct 11 08 October 2020, 17:21
- Organizer, 5 followers of Ulyanovsk Jehovah's Witnesses group get suspended prison terms 08 October 2020, 15:51
- Coronavirus restrictions re-introduced in Russian synagogues 08 October 2020, 14:42
- Islamist suspected of attempt to carry out terrorist attack in court, prosecutor's office detained in Stavropol 07 October 2020, 17:01
- Orthodox bishop of Kyrgyzstan urges citizens to pray for peace 06 October 2020, 15:40
- Many-storeyed business center in Kiev in honor of pride month will be illuminated with a rainbow flag 06 October 2020, 13:59