08 October 2020, 14:42
Coronavirus restrictions re-introduced in Russian synagogues
Moscow, October 8, Interfax - The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR) has stepped up precautions in its synagogues due to an increase in the number of coronavirus cases.
"People can only come to synagogues in medical masks and gloves. The administrations of communities strictly follow the observance of distancing between praying people and the observance of all medical requirements and recommendations. Extra spaces were provided for prayer during the recent holidays Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur so that praying people should not create crowds and can observe the necessary distance," Russian Chief Rabbi Berel Lazar told Israeli charge d'affaires Keren Cohen Gat at a meeting in Moscow.
None of the flock of the FJCR has contracted the infection thanks to the observance of safety measures and extra restrictions will be put in place for the upcoming Simchat Torah holiday, the rabbi said. The traditional Torah dancing will be conducted differently: people will be standing still and the person carrying the holy book will be moving around the hall.
According to earlier reports, Rabbi Lazar closed his synagogue in Maryina Roshcha on March 18 to prevent the flock from being infected as, according to the Torah, human life is the main value. FJCR synagogues in many cities of Russia were closed later and they only reopened after three-four months, when the risk of infection declined.
The Israeli diplomat said absurd accusations against the Jews and Israel, alleging that they somehow "created the coronavirus," are being spread in some European countries (for example, in Germany). The rabbi, for his part, said such accusations are not popular in Russia as Russian society is generally quite friendly to Jews and individual anti-Semitic incidents are stopped by the authorities.
Lazar also expressed his support for Israel's Jews in connection with the difficult epidemiological situation in the country.
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15
- Estonia to hold a referendum on marriage as a union of man and woman in spring 22 October 2020, 19:50
- Russian Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov dies 21 October 2020, 20:31
- Attackers of Hasid teens in Uman must be brought to account - Ukraine's foreign minister 20 October 2020, 10:43
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz in Vatican, discusses his return to Belarus 20 October 2020, 10:41
- Catholics conveyed a church in the center of Spanish Granada to Moscow Patriarchate 15 October 2020, 18:29
- Head of Russian Catholics contracts coronavirus 15 October 2020, 15:18
- The first Russian doctoral thesis on Islamic theology earned 15 October 2020, 14:03
- FJCR considers Kiev's order to pray for pogrom-makers an insult of the Jewish people 15 October 2020, 13:42
- A source learned about the death of another child from a surrogate mother in St. Petersburg 15 October 2020, 12:35
- Church against exploiting Russian women as surrogate mothers by foreigners 13 October 2020, 20:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for putting end to bloodshed in Nagorno-Karabakh 13 October 2020, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill tests negative for coronavirus 12 October 2020, 10:14
- Baku dismisses accusations of shelling upon cathedral in Nagorno-Karabakh 09 October 2020, 18:12
- Ecological park inspired by a local bishop opened in Omsk 09 October 2020, 17:28
- Jews will celebrate the feast of Torah with restrictions due to coronavirus 09 October 2020, 17:08
- JW couple gets suspended sentences in Kostroma 09 October 2020, 17:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls pandemic the last call for humanity 09 October 2020, 16:39
- Head of Jewish organization of Nazi concentration camp and ghetto prisoners dies 09 October 2020, 10:04
- Azerbaijan renews attack on church in Shushi, Stepanakert claims 08 October 2020, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill in quarantine after contact with coronavirus patient (updated) 08 October 2020, 18:15
- Unrecognized Karabakh head promises to rebuild cathedral destroyed in Azerbaijan's missile strike 08 October 2020, 17:35
- New Vatican ambassador to arrive in Belarus on Oct 11 08 October 2020, 17:21
- Organizer, 5 followers of Ulyanovsk Jehovah's Witnesses group get suspended prison terms 08 October 2020, 15:51
- Coronavirus restrictions re-introduced in Russian synagogues 08 October 2020, 14:42
- Islamist suspected of attempt to carry out terrorist attack in court, prosecutor's office detained in Stavropol 07 October 2020, 17:01
- Orthodox bishop of Kyrgyzstan urges citizens to pray for peace 06 October 2020, 15:40
- Many-storeyed business center in Kiev in honor of pride month will be illuminated with a rainbow flag 06 October 2020, 13:59