08 October 2020, 14:42
Coronavirus restrictions re-introduced in Russian synagogues
Moscow, October 8, Interfax - The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR) has stepped up precautions in its synagogues due to an increase in the number of coronavirus cases.
"People can only come to synagogues in medical masks and gloves. The administrations of communities strictly follow the observance of distancing between praying people and the observance of all medical requirements and recommendations. Extra spaces were provided for prayer during the recent holidays Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur so that praying people should not create crowds and can observe the necessary distance," Russian Chief Rabbi Berel Lazar told Israeli charge d'affaires Keren Cohen Gat at a meeting in Moscow.
None of the flock of the FJCR has contracted the infection thanks to the observance of safety measures and extra restrictions will be put in place for the upcoming Simchat Torah holiday, the rabbi said. The traditional Torah dancing will be conducted differently: people will be standing still and the person carrying the holy book will be moving around the hall.
According to earlier reports, Rabbi Lazar closed his synagogue in Maryina Roshcha on March 18 to prevent the flock from being infected as, according to the Torah, human life is the main value. FJCR synagogues in many cities of Russia were closed later and they only reopened after three-four months, when the risk of infection declined.
The Israeli diplomat said absurd accusations against the Jews and Israel, alleging that they somehow "created the coronavirus," are being spread in some European countries (for example, in Germany). The rabbi, for his part, said such accusations are not popular in Russia as Russian society is generally quite friendly to Jews and individual anti-Semitic incidents are stopped by the authorities.
Lazar also expressed his support for Israel's Jews in connection with the difficult epidemiological situation in the country.
- Several Jehovah's Witnesses leaders detained in Russia - Investigative Committee 24 November 2020, 11:39
- Court fines Pussy Riot member Nikulshina for event in support of LGBT in Moscow 23 November 2020, 13:35
- There's some progress in Alexander Metochion issue - Israeli ambassador to Russia 23 November 2020, 10:00
- Putin urges preservation of historic sites, sacred religious places in Karabakh conflict zone 20 November 2020, 19:55
- Patriarch Kirill ceases liturgical commemoration of archbishop of Cyprus for backing schism in Ukraine 20 November 2020, 17:47
- Putin offers condolences to president of Serbia on death of Patriarch Irinej 20 November 2020, 17:35
- Russian Orthodox Church mourns death of Serbian Patriarch Irinej 20 November 2020, 13:05
- Metropolitan of Tatarstan dies of Covid-19 <>(updated) 20 November 2020, 11:37
- Armenian church leader thanks Putin for preserving Armenian cultural heritage in Karabakh 20 November 2020, 10:58
- Russian Orthodox Church denies Serbian Patriarch Irinej deceased 19 November 2020, 17:40
- Free visits may be arranged for believers to ancient Christian monastery in northern Karabakh - Russian military 16 November 2020, 17:34
- Karabakh archbishop hospitalized after heart attack 16 November 2020, 14:23
- Putin calls for preserving churches in the transferred territories of Karabakh 16 November 2020, 11:23
- Azerbaijanis desecrated cathedral in Shushi - Armenian Church 16 November 2020, 11:11
- Metropolitan Hilarion speaks of risks of start of third world war 16 November 2020, 11:09
- Russian Orthodox Church expects Biden to stop supporting abortion, sex change operations 16 November 2020, 10:49
- Spiritual Muslim Board of Russia denies existence of overwhelming support for ban on marrying non-Muslim women 11 November 2020, 19:21
- Novosibirsk court outlaws Khakassia branch of Chinese sect Falun Gong for first time in Russia 10 November 2020, 15:32
- Coronavirus-induced self-isolation helps reduce ethnic and religious violence - human rights activist 10 November 2020, 10:23
- Moscow religious organizations have weak influence on local migrants - mufti 10 November 2020, 10:21
- Performance artist posing as Christ detained near FSB headquarters in Moscow 06 November 2020, 10:25
- Putin said inadmissible to hurt feelings of believers, to allow extremism - Peskov 05 November 2020, 13:29
- Russian Orthodox Church warns against danger of unsanctioned exorcism 05 November 2020, 10:40
- Patriarch Kirill mourns over victims of Vienna terrorist attack 05 November 2020, 10:38
- Inter-ethnic relations situation exacerbated in several countries, Russia must not allow this - Putin 05 November 2020, 10:37
- Putin backs idea of int'l ban on insulting religious feelings 05 November 2020, 10:33
- Russia's Chief Rabbi Lazar opposed to phrase 'Islamic terrorism' 03 November 2020, 19:00
- Freedom of speech mustn't hurt religious feelings - Russia's Matviyenko 03 November 2020, 18:27
- Lukashenko calls on Catholic Church to play constructive role in Belarus 03 November 2020, 15:56
- Expert on Islam calls the terrorist attack in Vienna an echo of the caricature scandal in France 03 November 2020, 13:00