08 October 2020, 14:42
Coronavirus restrictions re-introduced in Russian synagogues
Moscow, October 8, Interfax - The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR) has stepped up precautions in its synagogues due to an increase in the number of coronavirus cases.
"People can only come to synagogues in medical masks and gloves. The administrations of communities strictly follow the observance of distancing between praying people and the observance of all medical requirements and recommendations. Extra spaces were provided for prayer during the recent holidays Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur so that praying people should not create crowds and can observe the necessary distance," Russian Chief Rabbi Berel Lazar told Israeli charge d'affaires Keren Cohen Gat at a meeting in Moscow.
None of the flock of the FJCR has contracted the infection thanks to the observance of safety measures and extra restrictions will be put in place for the upcoming Simchat Torah holiday, the rabbi said. The traditional Torah dancing will be conducted differently: people will be standing still and the person carrying the holy book will be moving around the hall.
According to earlier reports, Rabbi Lazar closed his synagogue in Maryina Roshcha on March 18 to prevent the flock from being infected as, according to the Torah, human life is the main value. FJCR synagogues in many cities of Russia were closed later and they only reopened after three-four months, when the risk of infection declined.
The Israeli diplomat said absurd accusations against the Jews and Israel, alleging that they somehow "created the coronavirus," are being spread in some European countries (for example, in Germany). The rabbi, for his part, said such accusations are not popular in Russia as Russian society is generally quite friendly to Jews and individual anti-Semitic incidents are stopped by the authorities.
Lazar also expressed his support for Israel's Jews in connection with the difficult epidemiological situation in the country.
- Three Jehovah's Witnesses fined in Kirov 21 July 2021, 17:30
- Putin congratulates Russian Muslims on Eid al-Adha 20 July 2021, 11:20
- No one has the right to make a decision on vaccination for a person – Russian bishop 19 July 2021, 11:07
- Moscow Patriarchate will support Russian athletes in Tokyo 19 July 2021, 10:36
- Duma's Slutsky doubts impartiality of ECHR judges 16 July 2021, 21:26
- Three Jehovah's Witnesses given suspended prison sentences in Russia's Sverdlovsk Region 16 July 2021, 21:24
- Russia won't look for 'compromise' as concerns registering same-sex relations – Peskov 14 July 2021, 15:38
- ECHR judges who considered issue of same-sex marriage in Russia should resign - Duma speaker 14 July 2021, 10:05
- Russia won't follow ECHR recommendation on same-sex marriage - deputy head of Duma committee 14 July 2021, 10:03
- ECHR urges Russia to allow same-sex marriages 14 July 2021, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill asks Mishustin to support the bill banning surrogacy for foreigners 12 July 2021, 17:49
- Mosques in Moscow to be closed to believers on Eid al-Adha 12 July 2021, 10:25
- Diplomatic missions condemn violence at Tbilisi LGBT march 05 July 2021, 18:21
- March in support of LGBT community in Tbilisi cancelled 05 July 2021, 16:53
- Opponents of LGBT community attack journalists in Tbilisi 05 July 2021, 15:49
- Georgian PM asks LGBT community to cancel march in Tbilisi 05 July 2021, 15:48
- The anti-terrorist exercises held in Kiev synagogue with Israeli ambassador 05 July 2021, 11:24
- Main threat to the traditional morality of Russians emanates from U.S., allies - national security strategy 05 July 2021, 10:05
- Radicals in Tbilisi protest against LGBT events 02 July 2021, 10:06
- A thousand churches may collapse in Russia in the next ten years 01 July 2021, 18:04
- Moscow court outlaws Eye of God Telegram bot 01 July 2021, 17:58
- Russian Church proposes to make the Day of Crimea's Reunification with Russia a national holiday 30 June 2021, 14:23
- The Russian Church speaker advises to learn politeness and self-organization from the West 30 June 2021, 14:12
- A fire elevator removed a woman who became ill from the colonnade of St. Isaac 28 June 2021, 17:44
- Plans to remove Russians from list of native peoples of Ukraine utter nonsense - Russian Orthodox Church 28 June 2021, 11:18
- Russia not to link coronavirus vaccine supply to politics and religion 24 June 2021, 18:10
- Russian Church calls for a general mobilization against coronavirus 21 June 2021, 12:08
- Russian Orthodox Church supports ban on foreigners using surrogacy services 11 June 2021, 16:32
- Surrogacy to remain available to Russian citizens - Duma's Piskaryov 11 June 2021, 15:55
- Bill banning foreigners from using surrogacy services in Russia submitted to State Duma 11 June 2021, 15:54