05 October 2020, 11:57
Russian Church suggests opening a museum dedicated to repressions in the mausoleum after Lenin's funeral
Moscow, October 5, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church official believes that the body of Vladimir Lenin should not remain on Red Square, but only careful actions should be taken in connection with his burial.
"I have no doubt that sooner or later the body of this person will be buried. It is another question when it will happen, under what circumstances it will happen," head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion said on air the Church and the World program on the Rossiya 24 TV channel.
He called Lenin a "traitor of the Motherland" who came to Russia on German money, a man who should have been tried under ordinary laws. "It so happened that this person is associated with the beginning of the "Red terror", the beginning of mass repressions of the Russian population, and, of course, I think that this person should not remain on Red Square," the metropolitan said.
He added it should be understood that Lenin remains a shrine to his followers. "When we talk about how the Bolsheviks blew up churches, how they eliminated priests, it was an attack on our faith. And if Lenin's body is taken out of the mausoleum now, it will be an encroachment on the faith of those people for whom Lenin's body remains a shrine," the church official believes.
According to him, we need to act carefully in order not to provoke civil confrontations, and most likely, we will have to wait some time until he is buried. The metropolitan believes, it will happen when the Communist ideology would finally be left in the past.
Answering questions about the future use of the mausoleum, the hierarch expressed the opinion that it should be maintained, since it is the creation of an outstanding architect Shchusev, who built several churches and many buildings. "And what is going to be inside... It would probably be logical to create a museum of mass repressions there," Metropolitan Hilarion said.
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15
- Estonia to hold a referendum on marriage as a union of man and woman in spring 22 October 2020, 19:50
- Russian Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov dies 21 October 2020, 20:31
- Attackers of Hasid teens in Uman must be brought to account - Ukraine's foreign minister 20 October 2020, 10:43
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz in Vatican, discusses his return to Belarus 20 October 2020, 10:41
- Catholics conveyed a church in the center of Spanish Granada to Moscow Patriarchate 15 October 2020, 18:29
- Head of Russian Catholics contracts coronavirus 15 October 2020, 15:18
- The first Russian doctoral thesis on Islamic theology earned 15 October 2020, 14:03
- FJCR considers Kiev's order to pray for pogrom-makers an insult of the Jewish people 15 October 2020, 13:42
- A source learned about the death of another child from a surrogate mother in St. Petersburg 15 October 2020, 12:35
- Church against exploiting Russian women as surrogate mothers by foreigners 13 October 2020, 20:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for putting end to bloodshed in Nagorno-Karabakh 13 October 2020, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill tests negative for coronavirus 12 October 2020, 10:14
- Baku dismisses accusations of shelling upon cathedral in Nagorno-Karabakh 09 October 2020, 18:12
- Ecological park inspired by a local bishop opened in Omsk 09 October 2020, 17:28
- Jews will celebrate the feast of Torah with restrictions due to coronavirus 09 October 2020, 17:08
- JW couple gets suspended sentences in Kostroma 09 October 2020, 17:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls pandemic the last call for humanity 09 October 2020, 16:39
- Head of Jewish organization of Nazi concentration camp and ghetto prisoners dies 09 October 2020, 10:04
- Azerbaijan renews attack on church in Shushi, Stepanakert claims 08 October 2020, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill in quarantine after contact with coronavirus patient (updated) 08 October 2020, 18:15
- Unrecognized Karabakh head promises to rebuild cathedral destroyed in Azerbaijan's missile strike 08 October 2020, 17:35
- New Vatican ambassador to arrive in Belarus on Oct 11 08 October 2020, 17:21
- Organizer, 5 followers of Ulyanovsk Jehovah's Witnesses group get suspended prison terms 08 October 2020, 15:51
- Coronavirus restrictions re-introduced in Russian synagogues 08 October 2020, 14:42
- Islamist suspected of attempt to carry out terrorist attack in court, prosecutor's office detained in Stavropol 07 October 2020, 17:01
- Orthodox bishop of Kyrgyzstan urges citizens to pray for peace 06 October 2020, 15:40
- Many-storeyed business center in Kiev in honor of pride month will be illuminated with a rainbow flag 06 October 2020, 13:59