23 September 2020, 13:07
Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament
Novosibirsk, September 23, Interfax - The Novosibirsk Central District Court on Wednesday arrested Sergey Torop, who calls himself Vissarion, Vadim Redkin, and Vladimir Vedernikov, leaders of the Krasnoyarsk religious organization Church of the Last Testament.
"The Central District Court on September 23 ruled to arrest Torop for two months, that is, until November 22," the court chairperson's assistant Alyona Zubova told Interfax.
The court has also arrested Redkin and Vedernikov for two months, until November 22.
The three men were detained during a special operation on the territory of the Kuraginsky district of the Krasnoyarsk Territory. Their residences have been searched.
According to the Investigative Committee, Torop, Redkin, and Vedernikov led a religious organization called Church of the Last Testament in the Kuraginsky district between 1991 and September 22, 2020. Torop calls himself Christ, the son of God, named Vissarion.
According to investigators' information, the men obtained money from citizens and subjected them to psychological violence, as a result of which, severe harm was done to the health of some members of the religious organization over a long period of time, for the purpose of receiving revenue from religious activities.
The detainees are expected to be charged with creating a religious association whose operations involve violence against citizens and the infliction of severe harm to the health of two or more people.
The Church of the Last Testament is a new religious movement. It was founded by Torop in 1991. In 1995, the religious organization received its current name and was registered with the Justice Ministry. Followers of the movement also call themselves "Vissarion's Community." They live in several populated areas in the Kuraginsky District of the Krasnoyarsk Territory of Russia. Journalists arrived in the community in late August, and representatives of the religious movement tried to prevent them from filming. A criminal case was opened based on obstruction of the lawful professional activities of journalists.
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15
- Estonia to hold a referendum on marriage as a union of man and woman in spring 22 October 2020, 19:50
- Russian Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov dies 21 October 2020, 20:31
- Attackers of Hasid teens in Uman must be brought to account - Ukraine's foreign minister 20 October 2020, 10:43
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz in Vatican, discusses his return to Belarus 20 October 2020, 10:41
- Catholics conveyed a church in the center of Spanish Granada to Moscow Patriarchate 15 October 2020, 18:29
- Head of Russian Catholics contracts coronavirus 15 October 2020, 15:18
- The first Russian doctoral thesis on Islamic theology earned 15 October 2020, 14:03
- FJCR considers Kiev's order to pray for pogrom-makers an insult of the Jewish people 15 October 2020, 13:42
- A source learned about the death of another child from a surrogate mother in St. Petersburg 15 October 2020, 12:35
- Church against exploiting Russian women as surrogate mothers by foreigners 13 October 2020, 20:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for putting end to bloodshed in Nagorno-Karabakh 13 October 2020, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill tests negative for coronavirus 12 October 2020, 10:14
- Baku dismisses accusations of shelling upon cathedral in Nagorno-Karabakh 09 October 2020, 18:12
- Ecological park inspired by a local bishop opened in Omsk 09 October 2020, 17:28
- Jews will celebrate the feast of Torah with restrictions due to coronavirus 09 October 2020, 17:08
- JW couple gets suspended sentences in Kostroma 09 October 2020, 17:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls pandemic the last call for humanity 09 October 2020, 16:39
- Head of Jewish organization of Nazi concentration camp and ghetto prisoners dies 09 October 2020, 10:04
- Azerbaijan renews attack on church in Shushi, Stepanakert claims 08 October 2020, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill in quarantine after contact with coronavirus patient (updated) 08 October 2020, 18:15
- Unrecognized Karabakh head promises to rebuild cathedral destroyed in Azerbaijan's missile strike 08 October 2020, 17:35
- New Vatican ambassador to arrive in Belarus on Oct 11 08 October 2020, 17:21
- Organizer, 5 followers of Ulyanovsk Jehovah's Witnesses group get suspended prison terms 08 October 2020, 15:51
- Coronavirus restrictions re-introduced in Russian synagogues 08 October 2020, 14:42
- Islamist suspected of attempt to carry out terrorist attack in court, prosecutor's office detained in Stavropol 07 October 2020, 17:01
- Orthodox bishop of Kyrgyzstan urges citizens to pray for peace 06 October 2020, 15:40
- Many-storeyed business center in Kiev in honor of pride month will be illuminated with a rainbow flag 06 October 2020, 13:59