17 September 2020, 15:30
Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus
Kiev, September 17, Interfax - Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims are continuing to wait to enter Ukraine from Belarus at the Novy Yarylovichy checkpoint in the Chernigov Region, Ukrainian State Border Guard Service spokesperson Andrey Demchenko said.
"Groups of foreigners who are trying to enter Ukraine remain at the Novy Yarylovichy checkpoint in the Chernigov Region. These foreigners remain between the Ukrainian and Belarusian checkpoints, but de facto, they are all on the territory of Belarus, before the Ukrainian state border line. According to the available information, there are a little more than 1,000 people there," Demchenko told Interfax on Thursday.
The number of foreigners who are waiting to enter has not changed, he said.
"There is preliminary information that a small number of people have joined this group of foreigners. But a certain number of them have gone back. Therefore, the same number that was as of yesterday remains," Demchenko said.
The pilgrims continue to hope that they will be able enter Ukraine, he said.
"Even despite daily frequent explanations that foreigners are now banned from entering the territory of Ukraine, we see that they aren't turning around to go back the other way at all," Demchenko said.
Reinforced forces of the State Border Guard Service remain on the border to prevent illegal border crossings, Demchenko said. Units of the National Police and the National Guard are also present, he said.
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15
- Estonia to hold a referendum on marriage as a union of man and woman in spring 22 October 2020, 19:50
- Russian Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov dies 21 October 2020, 20:31
- Attackers of Hasid teens in Uman must be brought to account - Ukraine's foreign minister 20 October 2020, 10:43
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz in Vatican, discusses his return to Belarus 20 October 2020, 10:41
- Catholics conveyed a church in the center of Spanish Granada to Moscow Patriarchate 15 October 2020, 18:29
- Head of Russian Catholics contracts coronavirus 15 October 2020, 15:18
- The first Russian doctoral thesis on Islamic theology earned 15 October 2020, 14:03
- FJCR considers Kiev's order to pray for pogrom-makers an insult of the Jewish people 15 October 2020, 13:42
- A source learned about the death of another child from a surrogate mother in St. Petersburg 15 October 2020, 12:35
- Church against exploiting Russian women as surrogate mothers by foreigners 13 October 2020, 20:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for putting end to bloodshed in Nagorno-Karabakh 13 October 2020, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill tests negative for coronavirus 12 October 2020, 10:14
- Baku dismisses accusations of shelling upon cathedral in Nagorno-Karabakh 09 October 2020, 18:12
- Ecological park inspired by a local bishop opened in Omsk 09 October 2020, 17:28
- Jews will celebrate the feast of Torah with restrictions due to coronavirus 09 October 2020, 17:08
- JW couple gets suspended sentences in Kostroma 09 October 2020, 17:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls pandemic the last call for humanity 09 October 2020, 16:39
- Head of Jewish organization of Nazi concentration camp and ghetto prisoners dies 09 October 2020, 10:04
- Azerbaijan renews attack on church in Shushi, Stepanakert claims 08 October 2020, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill in quarantine after contact with coronavirus patient (updated) 08 October 2020, 18:15
- Unrecognized Karabakh head promises to rebuild cathedral destroyed in Azerbaijan's missile strike 08 October 2020, 17:35
- New Vatican ambassador to arrive in Belarus on Oct 11 08 October 2020, 17:21
- Organizer, 5 followers of Ulyanovsk Jehovah's Witnesses group get suspended prison terms 08 October 2020, 15:51
- Coronavirus restrictions re-introduced in Russian synagogues 08 October 2020, 14:42
- Islamist suspected of attempt to carry out terrorist attack in court, prosecutor's office detained in Stavropol 07 October 2020, 17:01
- Orthodox bishop of Kyrgyzstan urges citizens to pray for peace 06 October 2020, 15:40
- Many-storeyed business center in Kiev in honor of pride month will be illuminated with a rainbow flag 06 October 2020, 13:59