16 September 2020, 20:27
Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations
Kiev, September 16, Interfax - The Ukrainian Foreign Ministry has called on the Belarusian authorities to ensure that foreign pilgrims heading to Ukraine via Belarus to celebrate Rosh Hashanah unconditionally adhere to the quarantine restrictions.
"The overwhelming majority of the pilgrims have stayed on the section of the border for over than 48 hours and do not reside permanently or temporarily in Ukraine, which is a violation of the quarantine regulations of transit established in the Republic of Belarus. In light of the aforementioned circumstances, the Ukrainian side insistently urges the Belarusian side to ensure that the foreign pilgrims unconditionally adhere to the quarantine restrictions and the existing legislation of Ukraine and the Republic of Belarus," the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said in a commentary posted on its website on Wednesday.
According to available information, foreigners arriving in Belarus must self-isolate for 14 days in accordance with the quarantine regulations in place in Belarus, the ministry said. Transit via the territory of Belarus can last up to 48 hours with the purpose of heading to the country of permanent or temporary residence.
On September 15, 2020, the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry requested that the Belarusian Foreign Ministry do not process the documents of foreign pilgrims permitting them to enter Ukraine, because they cannot be allowed to enter the territory of Ukraine due to the coronavirus-related restrictions.
The Ukrainian side also repeatedly informed the Belarusian side about the restrictions of foreigners' entry into the territory of Ukraine.
As reported, hundreds of Hasidic pilgrims wishing to get to Ukraine's Uman city to celebrate Rosh Hashanah have gathered near the Novi Yarylovychi - Novaya Guta checkpoint.
Belarusian border guards let the pilgrims out of the country, but they were not allowed to enter the territory of Ukraine due to the restrictions on foreign citizens and stateless persons' entry into the country imposed in order to counter the coronavirus spread.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko ordered to provide assistance to the Hasidic pilgrims stranded on the Belarusian-Ukrainian border.
- Three Jehovah's Witnesses fined in Kirov 21 July 2021, 17:30
- Putin congratulates Russian Muslims on Eid al-Adha 20 July 2021, 11:20
- No one has the right to make a decision on vaccination for a person – Russian bishop 19 July 2021, 11:07
- Moscow Patriarchate will support Russian athletes in Tokyo 19 July 2021, 10:36
- Duma's Slutsky doubts impartiality of ECHR judges 16 July 2021, 21:26
- Three Jehovah's Witnesses given suspended prison sentences in Russia's Sverdlovsk Region 16 July 2021, 21:24
- Russia won't look for 'compromise' as concerns registering same-sex relations – Peskov 14 July 2021, 15:38
- ECHR judges who considered issue of same-sex marriage in Russia should resign - Duma speaker 14 July 2021, 10:05
- Russia won't follow ECHR recommendation on same-sex marriage - deputy head of Duma committee 14 July 2021, 10:03
- ECHR urges Russia to allow same-sex marriages 14 July 2021, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill asks Mishustin to support the bill banning surrogacy for foreigners 12 July 2021, 17:49
- Mosques in Moscow to be closed to believers on Eid al-Adha 12 July 2021, 10:25
- Diplomatic missions condemn violence at Tbilisi LGBT march 05 July 2021, 18:21
- March in support of LGBT community in Tbilisi cancelled 05 July 2021, 16:53
- Opponents of LGBT community attack journalists in Tbilisi 05 July 2021, 15:49
- Georgian PM asks LGBT community to cancel march in Tbilisi 05 July 2021, 15:48
- The anti-terrorist exercises held in Kiev synagogue with Israeli ambassador 05 July 2021, 11:24
- Main threat to the traditional morality of Russians emanates from U.S., allies - national security strategy 05 July 2021, 10:05
- Radicals in Tbilisi protest against LGBT events 02 July 2021, 10:06
- A thousand churches may collapse in Russia in the next ten years 01 July 2021, 18:04
- Moscow court outlaws Eye of God Telegram bot 01 July 2021, 17:58
- Russian Church proposes to make the Day of Crimea's Reunification with Russia a national holiday 30 June 2021, 14:23
- The Russian Church speaker advises to learn politeness and self-organization from the West 30 June 2021, 14:12
- A fire elevator removed a woman who became ill from the colonnade of St. Isaac 28 June 2021, 17:44
- Plans to remove Russians from list of native peoples of Ukraine utter nonsense - Russian Orthodox Church 28 June 2021, 11:18
- Russia not to link coronavirus vaccine supply to politics and religion 24 June 2021, 18:10
- Russian Church calls for a general mobilization against coronavirus 21 June 2021, 12:08
- Russian Orthodox Church supports ban on foreigners using surrogacy services 11 June 2021, 16:32
- Surrogacy to remain available to Russian citizens - Duma's Piskaryov 11 June 2021, 15:55
- Bill banning foreigners from using surrogacy services in Russia submitted to State Duma 11 June 2021, 15:54