15 September 2020, 20:00
Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine
Minsk, September 15, Interfax - All conditions will be created for the Hasidic pilgrims who are "stuck" on the Belarusian-Ukrainian border, Gomel Regional Administration head Gennady Solovey said.
"The regional administration made a decision to assist the pilgrims. We're setting up modules and tents. The decision on additional delivery of food was also made. We will be able to provide meals to about 900 people," the BelTA state-run news agency cited Solovey as saying.
The region's social organizations showed an initiative and set up stations providing heat and meals for the pilgrims, he said. Volunteers of the Red Cross and employees of the Gomel regional branch of the Emergency Situations Ministry are also helping them and a kitchen truck is due to arrive.
As reported, hundreds of Hasidic pilgrims wishing to get to Ukraine's Uman city to celebrate Rosh Hashanah have gathered near the Novi Yarylovychi-Novaya Guta checkpoint.
Belarusian border guard let the pilgrims out of the country, but they were not allowed to enter the territory of Ukraine due to the restrictions on foreign citizens and stateless persons' entry into the country imposed in order to counter the coronavirus spread.
The Belarusian State Border Committee said earlier on Tuesday that more than 700 people, including over 100 children, have gathered at the Novi Yarylovychi-Novaya Guta checkpoint in anticipation of being allowed to enter Ukraine.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko ordered to help the Hasidim who are "stuck" in the neutral zone at the Belarusian-Ukrainian border.
Ukraine, in turn, requested that Belarus do not allow the Hasidic pilgrims to cross the border.
"In order to prevent the illegal entry of groups of foreigners to Ukraine, the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry has requested that Belarus not process the documents of persons for whom exceptions don't apply, permitting them entry into Ukraine," the Foreign Ministry said in a statement released on Tuesday.
- Russian Church has established a day of remembrance for the victims of repression 27 September 2021, 11:06
- Russian Orthodox Church considering accepting Alexandria clergy who don't want to recognize Ukrainian schism 24 September 2021, 17:40
- Patriarch of Constantinople who visited Kiev has no right to speak on behalf of Orthodox world - Russian Church 24 September 2021, 17:24
- Russian Prosecutor General's Office designates two Scientology organizations undesirable 24 September 2021, 16:58
- Five Jehovah's Witnesses convicted in Russia's Volgograd Region 24 September 2021, 10:10
- Court dismisses appeal against forcible treatment of Yakutia shaman Gabyshev 23 September 2021, 15:22
- FJCR calls on Ukrainian authorities to expand definition of anti-Semitism 23 September 2021, 15:18
- Krasny Pakhar Jamaat added to Russian list of terrorist groups 22 September 2021, 16:29
- Ukraine adopts law on fight against anti-Semitism 22 September 2021, 13:38
- Afghanistan must form inclusive govt - SCO summit declaration 17 September 2021, 17:12
- Patriarch Kirill doubts legitimacy of authority of Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople 16 September 2021, 16:38
- Jehovah's Witness jailed for 3 years in Kostroma 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witness from Pskov Region gets suspended sentence 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Putin notes contribution of Jewish religious organizations to interethnic peace, accord 06 September 2021, 14:26
- Metropolitan Hilarion compared Patriarch Bartholomew to a robber and a thief 06 September 2021, 10:52
- Russian Church concerned about the fate of Christians in Afghanistan 06 September 2021, 10:43
- Supporters of radical Islam held in Tula 06 September 2021, 10:36
- Defrocked priest Sergy's supporter remanded in custody – court 02 September 2021, 18:13
- More than 5.5 thousand clerics and monks of the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia have been ill with coronavirus 02 September 2021, 14:36
- More than 2.5 million people have visited the Jewish Museum in Moscow during its nine years of operation 02 September 2021, 14:31
- Lithuanian president promises not to allow LGBT history to be taught in schools 02 September 2021, 14:25
- Associate of former schema-hegumen Sergy detained in hatred fanning case 01 September 2021, 15:26
- Complaints about threats from Male State community should be processed by law enforcement agencies - Peskov 31 August 2021, 14:57
- Taliban to present themselves as less radical to get investments – expert 31 August 2021, 13:45
- Russian Justice Ministry adds 4 Ukrainian and Latvian religious movements to list of groups undesirable in Russia 30 August 2021, 18:12
- The church historian called the results of Patriarch Bartholomew's visit to Ukraine deplorable 30 August 2021, 16:04
- More than 500 Orthodox churches to be built in Moscow 30 August 2021, 11:07
- Russian authorities to check the construction of a closed "halal" village near Moscow 30 August 2021, 10:49
- Patriarch Kirill calls the visit of the Constantinople primate to Kiev sinful 30 August 2021, 10:40
- Organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 26 August 2021, 15:55