15 September 2020, 18:45
Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship
Minsk, September 15, Interfax - The passport of head of the Roman Catholic Church in Belarus Archbishop Tadeusz Kondrusiewicz was invalidated as a result of a check of his Belarusian citizenship, however, he remains a citizen of Belarus, head of the Belarusian Interior Ministry's Naturalization and Immigration Department Alexey Begun said.
"He hasn't been stripped of citizenship, because that would require a relevant conclusion. It's just that the Interior Ministry is verifying that he is a citizen of the Republic of Belarus along with the documents provided by him in the course of the naturalization procedure," Begun told the Tut.by website.
More than a thousand checks of Belarusian citizens are held each year, Begun said. The check into Kondrusiewicz began before his departure to Poland, and the subsequent events are a mere coincidence, he said.
"This is a mere coincidence. The procedure was launched a bit earlier (the sending of relevant enquiries, etc.), and he left during that period. It would be better for us to have him here," Begun said.
Every reason for invalidating a passport is specified in the regulations on identification documents: for instance, this can be done if the passport is issued illegally, if the holder loses or is deprived of citizenship, and for other reasons.
Begun said they have received a relevant statement from Kondrusiewicz [for clarifying the situation], and a detailed response will be given.
"The Interior Ministry has received a statement from Kondrusiewicz, and it is being processed. Soon enough, we will inform the applicant in detail about every nuance of the relevant procedure," Begun said.
Head of the Roman Catholic Church in Belarus Archbishop Kondrusiewicz was not allowed to cross into Belarus from Poland on August 31 without explanation.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko said that Kondrusiewicz was denied entry to Belarus as "he had received an assignment in Poland."
The Conference of Catholic Bishops said later that the ban on the return of Archbishop Kondrusiewicz, a citizen of Belarus, contravenes the current legislation.
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport 14 September 2020, 13:28
- Catholics organize procession in Minsk to stop 'persecution of the Church', to bring back Kondrusiewicz 14 September 2020, 11:21
- Owner of a cafe in Ukrainian Uman pinned up a plate saying he wouldn't attend Chassids; the police initiates a case 14 September 2020, 10:19
- Russian Orthodox Church advises getting vaccinated against Covid-19 without delay 14 September 2020, 10:17
- Belarusian foreign minister discusses post-election situation with Vatican rep 11 September 2020, 20:16
- Pope invited to Minsk 11 September 2020, 20:14
- Vatican official arrives in Belarus 11 September 2020, 14:53