15 September 2020, 18:45
Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship
Minsk, September 15, Interfax - The passport of head of the Roman Catholic Church in Belarus Archbishop Tadeusz Kondrusiewicz was invalidated as a result of a check of his Belarusian citizenship, however, he remains a citizen of Belarus, head of the Belarusian Interior Ministry's Naturalization and Immigration Department Alexey Begun said.
"He hasn't been stripped of citizenship, because that would require a relevant conclusion. It's just that the Interior Ministry is verifying that he is a citizen of the Republic of Belarus along with the documents provided by him in the course of the naturalization procedure," Begun told the Tut.by website.
More than a thousand checks of Belarusian citizens are held each year, Begun said. The check into Kondrusiewicz began before his departure to Poland, and the subsequent events are a mere coincidence, he said.
"This is a mere coincidence. The procedure was launched a bit earlier (the sending of relevant enquiries, etc.), and he left during that period. It would be better for us to have him here," Begun said.
Every reason for invalidating a passport is specified in the regulations on identification documents: for instance, this can be done if the passport is issued illegally, if the holder loses or is deprived of citizenship, and for other reasons.
Begun said they have received a relevant statement from Kondrusiewicz [for clarifying the situation], and a detailed response will be given.
"The Interior Ministry has received a statement from Kondrusiewicz, and it is being processed. Soon enough, we will inform the applicant in detail about every nuance of the relevant procedure," Begun said.
Head of the Roman Catholic Church in Belarus Archbishop Kondrusiewicz was not allowed to cross into Belarus from Poland on August 31 without explanation.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko said that Kondrusiewicz was denied entry to Belarus as "he had received an assignment in Poland."
The Conference of Catholic Bishops said later that the ban on the return of Archbishop Kondrusiewicz, a citizen of Belarus, contravenes the current legislation.
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15
- Estonia to hold a referendum on marriage as a union of man and woman in spring 22 October 2020, 19:50
- Russian Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov dies 21 October 2020, 20:31
- Attackers of Hasid teens in Uman must be brought to account - Ukraine's foreign minister 20 October 2020, 10:43
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz in Vatican, discusses his return to Belarus 20 October 2020, 10:41
- Catholics conveyed a church in the center of Spanish Granada to Moscow Patriarchate 15 October 2020, 18:29
- Head of Russian Catholics contracts coronavirus 15 October 2020, 15:18
- The first Russian doctoral thesis on Islamic theology earned 15 October 2020, 14:03
- FJCR considers Kiev's order to pray for pogrom-makers an insult of the Jewish people 15 October 2020, 13:42
- A source learned about the death of another child from a surrogate mother in St. Petersburg 15 October 2020, 12:35
- Church against exploiting Russian women as surrogate mothers by foreigners 13 October 2020, 20:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for putting end to bloodshed in Nagorno-Karabakh 13 October 2020, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill tests negative for coronavirus 12 October 2020, 10:14
- Baku dismisses accusations of shelling upon cathedral in Nagorno-Karabakh 09 October 2020, 18:12
- Ecological park inspired by a local bishop opened in Omsk 09 October 2020, 17:28
- Jews will celebrate the feast of Torah with restrictions due to coronavirus 09 October 2020, 17:08
- JW couple gets suspended sentences in Kostroma 09 October 2020, 17:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls pandemic the last call for humanity 09 October 2020, 16:39
- Head of Jewish organization of Nazi concentration camp and ghetto prisoners dies 09 October 2020, 10:04
- Azerbaijan renews attack on church in Shushi, Stepanakert claims 08 October 2020, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill in quarantine after contact with coronavirus patient (updated) 08 October 2020, 18:15
- Unrecognized Karabakh head promises to rebuild cathedral destroyed in Azerbaijan's missile strike 08 October 2020, 17:35
- New Vatican ambassador to arrive in Belarus on Oct 11 08 October 2020, 17:21
- Organizer, 5 followers of Ulyanovsk Jehovah's Witnesses group get suspended prison terms 08 October 2020, 15:51
- Coronavirus restrictions re-introduced in Russian synagogues 08 October 2020, 14:42
- Islamist suspected of attempt to carry out terrorist attack in court, prosecutor's office detained in Stavropol 07 October 2020, 17:01
- Orthodox bishop of Kyrgyzstan urges citizens to pray for peace 06 October 2020, 15:40
- Many-storeyed business center in Kiev in honor of pride month will be illuminated with a rainbow flag 06 October 2020, 13:59