09 September 2020, 19:05
Church court makes no decision on case of Urals schema-monk Sergy on Wednesday
Yekaterinburg, September 9, Interfax - The court of the Yekaterinburg Diocese on Wednesday scheduled for Thursday the third, decisive hearing of the case involving the excommunication of defrocked Schema-monk Sergy (Romanov), Archpriest Nikolay Maleta, chairman of the diocesan court, said.
"There are no results. Schema-monk Sergy failed to show up in court and therefore the hearing is rescheduled for tomorrow. But I think no final decision will be made on this issue tomorrow either," he said.
The schema-monk was summoned to court as an accused of violating the 28th rule of the Holy Apostles on September 7. He is facing excommunication for that. However, Sergy did not come to court and a repeat hearing of his case was scheduled for September 9.
The chairman of the diocesan court told reporters the final decision will most likely be made in the third hearing.
In a video released earlier, Sergy dismissed the Covid-19 pandemic as a myth and called for disobedience to senior clergy and the authorities. He also cursed those who closed churches during the pandemic and warned of the creation of "Satan's electronic camp."
On June 3, the diocesan court found Father Sergy guilty of breaching his monastic vows and his priest's oath and defrocked him. He did not come to two of the three hearing of this issue. The patriarch approved the decision of the diocesan court to defrock Romanov on July 24.
Father Sergy said he has no intention of leaving the Sredneuralsky Convent. More than 150 nuns remain there. They were offered to move to other convents, but they refused.
- Catholics conveyed a church in the center of Spanish Granada to Moscow Patriarchate 15 October 2020, 18:29
- Head of Russian Catholics contracts coronavirus 15 October 2020, 15:18
- The first Russian doctoral thesis on Islamic theology earned 15 October 2020, 14:03
- FJCR considers Kiev's order to pray for pogrom-makers an insult of the Jewish people 15 October 2020, 13:42
- A source learned about the death of another child from a surrogate mother in St. Petersburg 15 October 2020, 12:35
- Church against exploiting Russian women as surrogate mothers by foreigners 13 October 2020, 20:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for putting end to bloodshed in Nagorno-Karabakh 13 October 2020, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill tests negative for coronavirus 12 October 2020, 10:14
- Baku dismisses accusations of shelling upon cathedral in Nagorno-Karabakh 09 October 2020, 18:12
- Ecological park inspired by a local bishop opened in Omsk 09 October 2020, 17:28
- Jews will celebrate the feast of Torah with restrictions due to coronavirus 09 October 2020, 17:08
- JW couple gets suspended sentences in Kostroma 09 October 2020, 17:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls pandemic the last call for humanity 09 October 2020, 16:39
- Head of Jewish organization of Nazi concentration camp and ghetto prisoners dies 09 October 2020, 10:04
- Azerbaijan renews attack on church in Shushi, Stepanakert claims 08 October 2020, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill in quarantine after contact with coronavirus patient (updated) 08 October 2020, 18:15
- Unrecognized Karabakh head promises to rebuild cathedral destroyed in Azerbaijan's missile strike 08 October 2020, 17:35
- New Vatican ambassador to arrive in Belarus on Oct 11 08 October 2020, 17:21
- Organizer, 5 followers of Ulyanovsk Jehovah's Witnesses group get suspended prison terms 08 October 2020, 15:51
- Coronavirus restrictions re-introduced in Russian synagogues 08 October 2020, 14:42
- Islamist suspected of attempt to carry out terrorist attack in court, prosecutor's office detained in Stavropol 07 October 2020, 17:01
- Orthodox bishop of Kyrgyzstan urges citizens to pray for peace 06 October 2020, 15:40
- Many-storeyed business center in Kiev in honor of pride month will be illuminated with a rainbow flag 06 October 2020, 13:59
- Russian Orthodox Church offered to imprison rapists for life 05 October 2020, 14:05
- Russian Church suggests opening a museum dedicated to repressions in the mausoleum after Lenin's funeral 05 October 2020, 11:57
- Kremlin views possible detention of men using surrogate mother services as high-profile case 02 October 2020, 12:26
- Two people who stole an icon presented by Putin detained by FSB 01 October 2020, 13:34
- Patriarch asks the State Duma speaker to broadly discuss amendments on the removal of children from the family 01 October 2020, 13:02
- Belarusian Catholics deny info on U.S. interference in religious situation in country 30 September 2020, 12:24
- U.S. trying to play Belarusian Orthodox, Catholics off against each other - Russian foreign intelligence chief 29 September 2020, 16:32