09 September 2020, 19:05
Church court makes no decision on case of Urals schema-monk Sergy on Wednesday
Yekaterinburg, September 9, Interfax - The court of the Yekaterinburg Diocese on Wednesday scheduled for Thursday the third, decisive hearing of the case involving the excommunication of defrocked Schema-monk Sergy (Romanov), Archpriest Nikolay Maleta, chairman of the diocesan court, said.
"There are no results. Schema-monk Sergy failed to show up in court and therefore the hearing is rescheduled for tomorrow. But I think no final decision will be made on this issue tomorrow either," he said.
The schema-monk was summoned to court as an accused of violating the 28th rule of the Holy Apostles on September 7. He is facing excommunication for that. However, Sergy did not come to court and a repeat hearing of his case was scheduled for September 9.
The chairman of the diocesan court told reporters the final decision will most likely be made in the third hearing.
In a video released earlier, Sergy dismissed the Covid-19 pandemic as a myth and called for disobedience to senior clergy and the authorities. He also cursed those who closed churches during the pandemic and warned of the creation of "Satan's electronic camp."
On June 3, the diocesan court found Father Sergy guilty of breaching his monastic vows and his priest's oath and defrocked him. He did not come to two of the three hearing of this issue. The patriarch approved the decision of the diocesan court to defrock Romanov on July 24.
Father Sergy said he has no intention of leaving the Sredneuralsky Convent. More than 150 nuns remain there. They were offered to move to other convents, but they refused.
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport 14 September 2020, 13:28
- Catholics organize procession in Minsk to stop 'persecution of the Church', to bring back Kondrusiewicz 14 September 2020, 11:21
- Owner of a cafe in Ukrainian Uman pinned up a plate saying he wouldn't attend Chassids; the police initiates a case 14 September 2020, 10:19
- Russian Orthodox Church advises getting vaccinated against Covid-19 without delay 14 September 2020, 10:17
- Belarusian foreign minister discusses post-election situation with Vatican rep 11 September 2020, 20:16
- Pope invited to Minsk 11 September 2020, 20:14
- Vatican official arrives in Belarus 11 September 2020, 14:53