04 September 2020, 20:32
ECHR refuses to grant new church of Ukraine request to remain in Crimean building
Moscow, September 4, Interfax - The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) has sided with Russia, having compelled representatives from the Crimean Diocese of the new church of Ukraine (OCU) to vacate the premises in Simferopol and Yevpatoria, the Russian Justice Ministry said.
Having examined the information provided by the Justice Ministry "the ECHR saw no grounds for application of any injunctive measures and did not relieve the applicant of the responsibility to comply with earlier Russian court rulings on the vacation of the illegally occupied premises in the cities of Simferopol and Yevpatoria," the ministry said in a statement obtained by Interfax on Friday.
It was reported that on August 5 the Russian Supreme Court threw out an appeal from the Crimean Directorate of the OCU against three lower-court rulings ordering the termination of a lease on a building in central Simferopol, which was used as the church.
"To deny handover of the cassation complaint of the directorate of the Crimean diocese of the (self-proclaimed - IF) Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Kiev Patriarchate for examination by a Russian Supreme Court judiciary panel for economic disputes," the August 4 ruling, published in the catalogue of arbitration cases, reads.
At issue is the Cathedral of Saints Vladimir and Olga. It is situated inside a building which used to house a former military-political building school in Simferopol. It is a three-storey edifice with classical columns and a small cross above entrance. The church was the main OCU temple on the peninsula.
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport 14 September 2020, 13:28
- Catholics organize procession in Minsk to stop 'persecution of the Church', to bring back Kondrusiewicz 14 September 2020, 11:21
- Owner of a cafe in Ukrainian Uman pinned up a plate saying he wouldn't attend Chassids; the police initiates a case 14 September 2020, 10:19
- Russian Orthodox Church advises getting vaccinated against Covid-19 without delay 14 September 2020, 10:17
- Belarusian foreign minister discusses post-election situation with Vatican rep 11 September 2020, 20:16
- Pope invited to Minsk 11 September 2020, 20:14
- Vatican official arrives in Belarus 11 September 2020, 14:53