07 August 2020, 18:11
"Innovative" church with a dome in the form of an Old Russian helmet may appear in Moscow Region
Moscow, August 7, Interfax - The ARCHPOINT Russian architectural bureau, which received an American award this year for the modern design of the St. Ignatius the God-Bearer Church in Moscow, has proposed to build another unusual church in the Moscow Region.
"High rise apartment buildings of strict rectangular shapes dominate in the residential district of the project, so we decided that the new church should balance the rigidity of residential development with its soft, smooth forms. In the project we want to convey a pure image of the Savior Not Made By Hands, which covers the walls and roof like a plate, becoming a dome similar to the ancient helmet of an old Russian warrior, forming a single architectural form with the walls. As if a large blue veil descended from above on the church, "one of the project's authors Valery Lizunov told journalists on Friday.
According to the design project, the church will have two levels - the main floor, which can accommodate up to 500 parishioners, and the basement, where auxiliary rooms will be located - a Sunday school, a meeting room, rooms for priests, a vestry, a refectory with a kitchen, a baptismal room and others. A staircase on the west side leads to a belfry, which is also located inside the church above the main entrance.
Contest of projects of the Church of the Savior Not Made By Hands in Kotelniki which will be located on a land lot of 2500 sq. meters was announced in February this year. At the moment, six projects have been submitted for the contest.
From September 1, anyone can vote for the best concept on the contest page and comment on it now on Instagram. An expert jury will choose the winner in early November. The construction of the church will be carried out on private funds and donations.
The architects' previous church is characterized by brevity and minimalism. One of its peculiarities is the glass Eastern wall, which is adjacent to the altar, so that parishioners can see the landscape of the Setun river valley through the glass.
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport 14 September 2020, 13:28
- Catholics organize procession in Minsk to stop 'persecution of the Church', to bring back Kondrusiewicz 14 September 2020, 11:21
- Owner of a cafe in Ukrainian Uman pinned up a plate saying he wouldn't attend Chassids; the police initiates a case 14 September 2020, 10:19
- Russian Orthodox Church advises getting vaccinated against Covid-19 without delay 14 September 2020, 10:17
- Belarusian foreign minister discusses post-election situation with Vatican rep 11 September 2020, 20:16
- Pope invited to Minsk 11 September 2020, 20:14
- Vatican official arrives in Belarus 11 September 2020, 14:53