24 July 2020, 19:38
Former schema-hegumen not planning to leave Sredneuralsky Convent
Yekaterinburg, July 24, Interfax - Schema monk Sergy (Romanov), who was deprived of the schema-hegumen rank by the Yekaterinburg Diocese, has no intention of leaving the territory of the Sredneuralsky Convent, his associate Vsevolod Moguchev told Interfax.
"Father Sergy is the confessor of the Sredneuralsky Convent. He was one, and he will remain one. Nothing is changing here, and no changes are planned," Moguchev told Interfax.
The convent is living its own life, despite the situation with Father Sergy and the convent, he said.
In the meantime, the press service for the Yekaterinburg Diocese told Interfax that "schema monk Sergy is holding the convent without authorization," whereas the lawful head of the convent is Hegumeness Varvara (Krygina). The diocese said it has no doubts that the Sredneuralsky Convent will return "to the church." "The restoration of peaceful life in the convent is only possible with the return of Hegumeness Varvara, for which schema monk Sergy has to leave the convent [...] The Lord will definitely put everything in its place," the press service said.
Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia earlier approved the decision adopted by the Yekaterinburg Diocese’s court to defrock schema hegumen Sergy (Romanov).
Father Sergy’s associate said father Sergy currently has no intention of commenting on the patriarch's decision. "Father Sergy and the convent now have more important things to do than commenting on some people's statements. He [Father Sergy] currently doesn't even find it necessary to be distracted," Moguchev said.
On July 3, the court of the Yekaterinburg Diocese found schema hegumen Sergy (Romanov) guilty of breaking his monastic vows and defrocked him. Romanov, however, refused to leave the convent, calling on Patriarch Kirill to resign.
According to the ruling of the diocese's court, Romanov blatantly breached the senior priest's order barring him from conducting religious services, delivering public sermons, wearing a pectoral cross, and leaving the premises of the John the Theologian Monastery without permission from the senior priest.
The court also concluded that Romanov's speeches contained lies and slander. Additionally, the court ruled that the fact that Romanov stopped mentioning Patriarch Kirill and the ruling archbishop in his prayers is a violation of canonical norms.
In a video released earlier, Father Sergy called the coronavirus pandemic a myth and called on people to disobey church and secular authorities. Father Sergy also cursed those who temporarily closed churches during the pandemic and warned of the creation of "Satan's electronic camp."
The anti-extremism center of the Interior Ministry department for the Sverdlovsk Region later concluded that Father Sergy’s actions might have involved signs of an administrative offence. On July 20, Romanov was fined 18,000 rubles for inciting hatred. He was also fined 90,000 rubles on July 7 for disseminating fake information on coronavirus.
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport 14 September 2020, 13:28
- Catholics organize procession in Minsk to stop 'persecution of the Church', to bring back Kondrusiewicz 14 September 2020, 11:21
- Owner of a cafe in Ukrainian Uman pinned up a plate saying he wouldn't attend Chassids; the police initiates a case 14 September 2020, 10:19
- Russian Orthodox Church advises getting vaccinated against Covid-19 without delay 14 September 2020, 10:17
- Belarusian foreign minister discusses post-election situation with Vatican rep 11 September 2020, 20:16
- Pope invited to Minsk 11 September 2020, 20:14