24 July 2020, 10:57
Patriarch Kirill calls on Armenia, Azerbaijan to have dialogue
Moscow, July 24, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has called on the parties of the Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict to have dialogue and not to follow extremists.
"Today the Russian Orthodox Church is calling on both conflict parties to have dialogue. The religious communities of Armenia and Azerbaijan have accumulated experience of building such dialogue, which is very needed now. I am calling not to follow those forces that stand to gain from increasing tensions in the Caucasus," the patriarch said in a statement posted on the Russian Orthodox Church website.
The new war in the Caucasus "will inevitably attract various terrorists and extremists, who will deprive the region of peace and calm for a long time," the patriarch said.
The Russian Church has been engaged in peacekeeping activities in the settlement of the Karabakh conflict in trilateral dialogues for many years now, the patriarch said, adding that it allows him to address the religious leaders of Azerbaijan and Armenia. "I am asking you, dear brothers, to keep the achievements that we managed to solidify in brotherly meetings," the patriarch said.
The Russian Church is praying hard for the conflict to end as soon as possible, he said. "We hope that the brotherly peoples of Armenia and Azerbaijan will find the resources and wisdom to end the enmity, reduce the degree of mistrust and make mutually acceptable decisions on issues that divide them," the statement said.
The clashes on the Armenian-Azerbaijani border began on July 12 and lasted until July 15 in the neighboring areas, Tovuz (Azerbaijan) and Tavush (Armenia), which also border on Georgia and are located several kilometers from the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh, where the situation remained calm. The situation stabilized in the past few days, but it remains tense.
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport 14 September 2020, 13:28
- Catholics organize procession in Minsk to stop 'persecution of the Church', to bring back Kondrusiewicz 14 September 2020, 11:21
- Owner of a cafe in Ukrainian Uman pinned up a plate saying he wouldn't attend Chassids; the police initiates a case 14 September 2020, 10:19
- Russian Orthodox Church advises getting vaccinated against Covid-19 without delay 14 September 2020, 10:17
- Belarusian foreign minister discusses post-election situation with Vatican rep 11 September 2020, 20:16
- Pope invited to Minsk 11 September 2020, 20:14