17 June 2020, 17:10
The Russian Church officials debate about admissibility of in vitro fertilization
Moscow, June 17, Interfax - The Patriarchal Commission for Family official says it is early to change the church position on the in vitro fertilization.
"It is not only moral and ethical question, but also the question of the Church reputation. The Church cannot bless the procedure, after which about 70% of children are born with certain disorders in development, according to the official statistics of Russia's Pediatricians Union. The question if in vitro children are able to give healthy offsprings is also open," the Commission Executive Secretary priest Fedor Lukyanov told Interfax on Wednesday.
Thus he commented on the opinion of the Patriarchate's deputy property manager Bishop Savva (Tutunov), who supposed that approach of the Russian Orthodox Church to in vitro fertilization may be revised as today there is a possibility not to eliminate the so-called "excess" embryos.
The patriarchal commission official says that even if the only ovum is used during the in vitro fertilization (at the so-called in vitro fertilization of the "natural cycle"), the embryo perishes in 93% of cases which, according to the priest, "practically equals to a death sentence to the conceived child." Thus, "in vitro fertilization in "natural cycle" is rarely applied and is replaced with usual in vitro fertilization with selection (which means selection of the vital embryos with further cryoconcervation and exclusion of not vital embryos).
If the position of the Church is softened, it will provoke a wider spreading of the surrogate maternity based on the in vitro fertilization techniques. In its turn, it will give a chance to Church opponents to blame it in promoting this practice banned in many countries, Lukyanov believes.
He also reminded that surrogate maternity is considered morally unacceptable not only in the Church. Thus, honorary Chairman of the Executive Committee of Russia's Pediatricians Union Alexander Baranov condemned surrogate maternity and in vitro fertilization speaking at the 3rd Hippocrates Forum in Moscow and specified that the latter is dangerous for woman and child.
- Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry protests over French parliament's resolution on protection of Christian communities 04 December 2020, 10:51
- Voronezh court softens restrictive measure on 10 Jehovah's Witnesses 03 December 2020, 15:38
- Patriarch Bartholomew’s arrival to Ukraine may launch persecutions against the UOC, canonical church official believes 02 December 2020, 11:50
- Civic Chamber calls for barring access of foreigners, single Russians to surrogacy services - newspaper 02 December 2020, 11:10
- Armenian opposition member ends hunger strike after visit of catholicos 01 December 2020, 13:59
- Another Jehovah's Witness put under house arrest instead of detention 30 November 2020, 12:42
- Russian court refuses to arrest 3 Jehovah's Witnesses accused of setting up extremist organization 27 November 2020, 18:41
- Press secretary of Belarusian Orthodox Church who condemned dismantling memorial to late activist Bondarenko in Minsk resigns 27 November 2020, 15:31
- Courts extends detention of 3 managers of Jehovah's Witnesses Administrative Center in Russia, all charged with setting up extremist organization 26 November 2020, 20:11
- Amendments to Russian Family Code affirming supremacy of Constitution, 'moral fundamentals' over int'l law pass 1st reading in State Duma 26 November 2020, 16:08
- Jehovah's Witnesses Detained in Russia charged with setting up extremist organization, Investigative Committee requests their arrest - court 26 November 2020, 16:06
- Rabbi Lazar rejected accusations of Jewish communities in irresponsible attitude to the pandemic 26 November 2020, 15:19
- Russian expert sees danger in Turkey's aspiration to become Islamic world leader 26 November 2020, 14:53
- Rostov-on-Don court sentences leader of Aum Shinrikyo, banned in Russia, to 15 years in high-security penitentiary 26 November 2020, 13:24
- Lawyers appeal extension of custody for Church of Last Testament founder, 2 other defendants 25 November 2020, 20:09
- Russian Orthodox Church appreciates Cypriot bishops who refuse to recognize new church of Ukraine 25 November 2020, 18:45
- Church of Cyprus's Synod supports recognition of new church of Ukraine 25 November 2020, 16:03
- Jehovah's Witnesses' activities still banned in Russia - Peskov 25 November 2020, 12:51
- Several Jehovah's Witnesses leaders detained in Russia - Investigative Committee 24 November 2020, 11:39
- Court fines Pussy Riot member Nikulshina for event in support of LGBT in Moscow 23 November 2020, 13:35
- There's some progress in Alexander Metochion issue - Israeli ambassador to Russia 23 November 2020, 10:00
- Putin urges preservation of historic sites, sacred religious places in Karabakh conflict zone 20 November 2020, 19:55
- Patriarch Kirill ceases liturgical commemoration of archbishop of Cyprus for backing schism in Ukraine 20 November 2020, 17:47
- Putin offers condolences to president of Serbia on death of Patriarch Irinej 20 November 2020, 17:35
- Russian Orthodox Church mourns death of Serbian Patriarch Irinej 20 November 2020, 13:05
- Metropolitan of Tatarstan dies of Covid-19 <>(updated) 20 November 2020, 11:37
- Armenian church leader thanks Putin for preserving Armenian cultural heritage in Karabakh 20 November 2020, 10:58
- Russian Orthodox Church denies Serbian Patriarch Irinej deceased 19 November 2020, 17:40
- Free visits may be arranged for believers to ancient Christian monastery in northern Karabakh - Russian military 16 November 2020, 17:34
- Karabakh archbishop hospitalized after heart attack 16 November 2020, 14:23