17 June 2020, 17:10
The Russian Church officials debate about admissibility of in vitro fertilization
Moscow, June 17, Interfax - The Patriarchal Commission for Family official says it is early to change the church position on the in vitro fertilization.
"It is not only moral and ethical question, but also the question of the Church reputation. The Church cannot bless the procedure, after which about 70% of children are born with certain disorders in development, according to the official statistics of Russia's Pediatricians Union. The question if in vitro children are able to give healthy offsprings is also open," the Commission Executive Secretary priest Fedor Lukyanov told Interfax on Wednesday.
Thus he commented on the opinion of the Patriarchate's deputy property manager Bishop Savva (Tutunov), who supposed that approach of the Russian Orthodox Church to in vitro fertilization may be revised as today there is a possibility not to eliminate the so-called "excess" embryos.
The patriarchal commission official says that even if the only ovum is used during the in vitro fertilization (at the so-called in vitro fertilization of the "natural cycle"), the embryo perishes in 93% of cases which, according to the priest, "practically equals to a death sentence to the conceived child." Thus, "in vitro fertilization in "natural cycle" is rarely applied and is replaced with usual in vitro fertilization with selection (which means selection of the vital embryos with further cryoconcervation and exclusion of not vital embryos).
If the position of the Church is softened, it will provoke a wider spreading of the surrogate maternity based on the in vitro fertilization techniques. In its turn, it will give a chance to Church opponents to blame it in promoting this practice banned in many countries, Lukyanov believes.
He also reminded that surrogate maternity is considered morally unacceptable not only in the Church. Thus, honorary Chairman of the Executive Committee of Russia's Pediatricians Union Alexander Baranov condemned surrogate maternity and in vitro fertilization speaking at the 3rd Hippocrates Forum in Moscow and specified that the latter is dangerous for woman and child.
- Extremism case opened against 5 members of Jehovah's Witnesses in Syktyvkar 04 March 2021, 13:15
- Putin orders Interior Ministry to prosecute provocateurs, suppress all manifestations of extremism 03 March 2021, 16:25
- Kremlin not commenting on end of discussion about monument on Lubyanskaya Square - Peskov 01 March 2021, 14:19
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35