07 May 2020, 12:31
Police open criminal case into deaths of dogs from nunnery shelter near Tula
Tula, May 7, Interfax - The police have opened a criminal case over the killings of six dogs from the St. Kazan Nunnery in the village of Kolyupanovo in the Tula Region of Russia, a representative of the regional police department told Interfax.
"The criminal case was opened under Article 245 of the Criminal Code (animal abuse)," the representative said.
A March 16 incident at the nunnery triggered a public outcry in the mass media and on social networks. According to volunteers, local priest Andrey Dyomin ousted some dogs which had been living at the nunnery for years. The volunteers were told that the dogs were placed in good hands via shelters, and the police were told that "it was a miracle, and the dogs flew away." The dogs were later sighted in local forests and fields in a radius of 30-40 kilometers. Six dogs were found dead.
The police carried out an inquiry into the removal of the dogs from the nunnery's premises, but found no formal elements of a crime. According to the police, the dogs ran away after their cages were left unlocked. The volunteers disagreed and said, citing representatives of the parish, that the dogs were taken away on Dyomin's orders, and their ousting was paid for (there is a video of the meeting posted online).
The Aleksin inter-district prosecutor said the police refusal to open a criminal case was unlawful and unfounded and ordered an additional inquiry. Interfax has a copy of the prosecutor's order.
A total of 25 dogs have been found alive. All of these dogs were left on the nunnery's doorstep as puppies, and the mother superior took them in and raised them. The mother superior has been unwell and practically relieved of her duties in recent months.
VITA Animal Rights Center President Irina Novozhilova appealed to the Prosecutor General's Office and the head of the Russian Investigative Committee to investigate the deaths of the nunnery dogs and punish the culprits.
- Moscow churches to reopen on June 6 01 June 2020, 18:39
- Archbishop Giovanni d'Aniello appointed Vatican's new ambassador to Russia 01 June 2020, 14:05
- Chuvash metropolitan dies of coronavirus 01 June 2020, 12:07
- Russian army's main church due to open on June 22 29 May 2020, 17:38
- The quarantine time is optimal for spiritual growth, Patriarch Kirill believes 29 May 2020, 13:10
- Defense team of Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev challenges his commitment to psychiatric hospital in court 29 May 2020, 11:50
- Trial of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell head begins in Rostov-on-Don 27 May 2020, 21:23
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova does not know much about coronavirus, but prays for the sick 27 May 2020, 18:17
- The Protection Monastery in Moscow with St. Matrona relics opened for parishioners in spite of the acting ban of Russian Church 27 May 2020, 17:04
- Yekaterinburg diocese bans services of priest who cursed those who close churches over pandemic 27 May 2020, 11:17
- Defense team for Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev asks ECHR for urgent effort toward his release 26 May 2020, 13:56
- Chief rabbi of Russia believes attention to our neighbors to be the main achievement of the pandemic 25 May 2020, 16:12
- Coronavirus may be part of biopsychological war - Russian Orthodox Church 25 May 2020, 15:09
- Kiev Lavra of the Caves reopens following quarantine 25 May 2020, 14:03
- Police talked to Metropolitan Longin of Saratov as he came to the market without a mask 22 May 2020, 18:08
- Chairman of coordination center of North Caucasus Muslims hospitalized in Moscow 22 May 2020, 18:07
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia to deliver 240 tons of Kosher food to those in need 22 May 2020, 17:43
- Russian Orthodox Church speaker calls its financial situation extremely difficult 22 May 2020, 16:52
- St. Petersburg's Evening Light charity to appeal designation of U.S. preacher Branham's materials as extremist 22 May 2020, 13:38
- Russian Orthodox Church organizes donation of blood from people who recovered from coronavirus 21 May 2020, 16:47
- Moldovan PM, in response to Synod's threats, calls for praying for Orthodox clergy's clarity of mind 21 May 2020, 12:55
- Muslims of Tatarstan to celebrate Eid al-Fitr in their homes 21 May 2020, 10:22
- Russian Orthodox Church yet to decide whether Patriarch Kirill will visit Serbia in Oct 20 May 2020, 19:50
- Moldovan Orthodox Church says Bill Gates, 5G dangerous for mankind 20 May 2020, 19:46
- Rabbi Lazar believes pandemic is a result of people's disassociation 20 May 2020, 13:35
- Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov recovered from coronavirus 19 May 2020, 21:04
- Jews all over the world celebrate the Victory Day according to the Jewish calendar 19 May 2020, 12:15
- Putin recommends Russian Muslims celebrate Eid al-Fitr at home (updated) 18 May 2020, 16:30
- World Russian People's Assembly, led by Patriarch Kirill, demands investigation into causes of pandemic 18 May 2020, 13:38
- LGBT activists in Georgia hold annual rally online due to pandemic 18 May 2020, 11:39