18 April 2020, 18:48
Patriarch Kirill on Easter urges not to surrender to panic
Moscow, April 18, Interfax - This year traditional Easter message of Patriarch Kirill is dedicated to challenges which humanity is facing because of coronavirus and the ways to overcome them.
"In the current year the peoples of the earth have been enduring extraordinary ordeals. A baneful epidemic has spread throughout the whole world and has come to our lands too. (...) However, we Orthodox Christians are not to be despondent or to despair in these difficult circumstances; even more so we should not surrender to panic," the patriarch's Paschal message to clerics and parishioners of the Russian Orthodox Church reads.
The patriarch urges to treat each other with love and patience, to help and support one another in tribulations, remembering that "no outward restrictions should ever tear apart our unity" and take away from us the true spiritual freedom which people have obtained through coming to know the Lord "Who has conquered death."
The church primate noted that all the faithful children of the Church are of "one heart and one soul", therefore, let those who today are unable for objective reasons to come to church and pray know that they are in other people's thoughts and prayers.
"Faith grants to us the strength to live and overcome with God's help all sorts of infirmities and tribulations, including that which has become a part of our lives through the spread of the dangerous virus", the patriarch said, calling to strengthen common prayer so that the sick may receive healing and the healthy be protected from the dangerous infection.
"We believe that the Risen Saviour will never forsake us and that He will send down upon us the resolve and courage to stand steadfastly in faith and to make our salvific journey through our earthly life to life everlasting", Patriarch Kirill resumed.
See more under the Documents heading.
- Members of Interparliamentary Assembly on Orthodoxy criticize Hagia Sophia status decision 15 July 2020, 12:05
- Bomb threat to Yerevan's Blue Mosque proves false 15 July 2020, 11:37
- Sappers arrive at Yerevan's Blue Mosque after bomb threat received 15 July 2020, 10:31
- Hasidim's arrival in Uman impossible this year - Ukrainian Foreign Ministry's document 15 July 2020, 10:22
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia accuses monk Sergy of Russophobia 14 July 2020, 15:11
- Moscow satisfied with Turkey's pledge to keep Hagia Sophia open to visitors - Peskov 14 July 2020, 13:48
- Georgian Patriarchate 'saddened' by Turkey's decision to strip Hagia Sophia of museum status 14 July 2020, 10:58
- Russian Foreign Ministry 'regrets' transformation of Hagia Sophia into mosque 13 July 2020, 20:39
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Montenegro to repeal law which discriminates against Church (updated) 13 July 2020, 20:35
- Jehovah's Witnesses report searches, detentions of their followers in Russia's Voronezh 13 July 2020, 18:32
- White population should not bear responsibility for distant ancestors' actions - Russian Orthodox Church 13 July 2020, 17:03
- Erdogan assures Putin that the security of Christian relics will be ensured in Hagia Sophia 13 July 2020, 14:45
- External forces should not interfere in decision on Hagia Sophia's status - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 July 2020, 10:50
- Metropolitan Hilarion disagrees with Church of England head that Jesus might have been Black 13 July 2020, 10:05
- Hagia Sophia would have remained museum if Turkey had authoritative Christian Orthodox leader - senator Klishas 13 July 2020, 10:02
- Moscow expects Turkey to fully fulfil its obligations linked to Hagia Sopia's UNESCO site status - Deputy FM Grushko 13 July 2020, 10:00
- Turkey's position on Hagia Sophia aimed at boosting domestic ratings, regretful - Slutsky 10 July 2020, 21:47
- Revocation of Hagia Sophia's museum status a blow to Orthodox Christianity - Metropolitan Hilarion 10 July 2020, 19:50
- Russian Orthodox Church says turning Hagia Sophia into mosque will have consequences for all of humankind 10 July 2020, 19:21
- Decision on Hagia Sophia undermines Ankara's int'l authority - Kosachyov 10 July 2020, 18:31
- Russian Orthodox Church regrets Turkey's failure to heed millions of Christians' concerns about status of Hagia Sophia 10 July 2020, 17:03
- Kremlin has more important things to do than watch film on LGBT situation in Chechnya - Peskov 10 July 2020, 16:59
- Georgian Patriarchate concerned about Turkish authorities' idea of making Hagia Sophia mosque 10 July 2020, 10:36
- Russians become more loyal to marriages with non-Christians 08 July 2020, 12:14
- Disgraced Father Sergy planning to hold his own religious procession in Ural region on Royal Days 07 July 2020, 18:49
- Six Muslims detained in Crimea on suspicion of involvement in Hizb ut-Tahrir 07 July 2020, 16:09
- Kremlin not following situation surrounding rebellious Urals cleric Sergy - Peskov 07 July 2020, 14:55
- Court in Sverdlovsk Region fines ex-priest Sergy 90,000 rubles for spreading false information 07 July 2020, 13:52
- Hagia Sophia in Istanbul should remain symbol of interfaith accord - State Duma 07 July 2020, 10:19
- Yekaterinburg metropolitan rebukes rebellious monk Sergy for glorifying Stalin 07 July 2020, 10:17