09 March 2020, 17:44
Coronavirus epidemic affects Purim festival celebration in Moscow
Moscow, March 9, Interfax - The Moscow Jewish Community Center has modified the program of festivities during the Purim festival due to coronavirus spread.
"A large concert with the participation of friends from the French Jewish community was scheduled to take place on the evening of March 9. In line with Moscow Mayor Sergey Sobyanin's relevant decree on undertaking compulsory measures with respect to people who returned from those countries where numerous Covid-19 disease cases were identified, the organizers cancelled their participation. A Russian creative company will perform at the concert," the press service of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia told Interfax.
All the other festive events will take place as scheduled earlier.
The Purim celebration will begin on the evening of March 9 this year. This festival is traditionally deemed as the merriest one among the Jews and is celebrated in memory of the miraculous saving of the Jews from their annihilation during Persian King Artaxerxes' rule.
According to the Biblical Book of Esther, Haman, a favorite of the Persian king, decided to exterminate Persian Jews, but Queen of Persia Esther, who was an ethnic Jewish woman, managed to convince her husband of enabling the Jews to deliver a preventive strike. Many Persian anti-Semites were disarmed and beaten up in the end, while the Jews executed Haman and cut off his ears in line with the local ritual.
In commemoration of the victory over ancient anti-Semites, the Jews hold a joyful carnival during the Purim festival every year, when theatrical performances telling about those events of the ancient times are staged at the synagogues.
- Three Jehovah's Witnesses fined in Kirov 21 July 2021, 17:30
- Putin congratulates Russian Muslims on Eid al-Adha 20 July 2021, 11:20
- No one has the right to make a decision on vaccination for a person – Russian bishop 19 July 2021, 11:07
- Moscow Patriarchate will support Russian athletes in Tokyo 19 July 2021, 10:36
- Duma's Slutsky doubts impartiality of ECHR judges 16 July 2021, 21:26
- Three Jehovah's Witnesses given suspended prison sentences in Russia's Sverdlovsk Region 16 July 2021, 21:24
- Russia won't look for 'compromise' as concerns registering same-sex relations – Peskov 14 July 2021, 15:38
- ECHR judges who considered issue of same-sex marriage in Russia should resign - Duma speaker 14 July 2021, 10:05
- Russia won't follow ECHR recommendation on same-sex marriage - deputy head of Duma committee 14 July 2021, 10:03
- ECHR urges Russia to allow same-sex marriages 14 July 2021, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill asks Mishustin to support the bill banning surrogacy for foreigners 12 July 2021, 17:49
- Mosques in Moscow to be closed to believers on Eid al-Adha 12 July 2021, 10:25
- Diplomatic missions condemn violence at Tbilisi LGBT march 05 July 2021, 18:21
- March in support of LGBT community in Tbilisi cancelled 05 July 2021, 16:53
- Opponents of LGBT community attack journalists in Tbilisi 05 July 2021, 15:49
- Georgian PM asks LGBT community to cancel march in Tbilisi 05 July 2021, 15:48
- The anti-terrorist exercises held in Kiev synagogue with Israeli ambassador 05 July 2021, 11:24
- Main threat to the traditional morality of Russians emanates from U.S., allies - national security strategy 05 July 2021, 10:05
- Radicals in Tbilisi protest against LGBT events 02 July 2021, 10:06
- A thousand churches may collapse in Russia in the next ten years 01 July 2021, 18:04
- Moscow court outlaws Eye of God Telegram bot 01 July 2021, 17:58
- Russian Church proposes to make the Day of Crimea's Reunification with Russia a national holiday 30 June 2021, 14:23
- The Russian Church speaker advises to learn politeness and self-organization from the West 30 June 2021, 14:12
- A fire elevator removed a woman who became ill from the colonnade of St. Isaac 28 June 2021, 17:44
- Plans to remove Russians from list of native peoples of Ukraine utter nonsense - Russian Orthodox Church 28 June 2021, 11:18
- Russia not to link coronavirus vaccine supply to politics and religion 24 June 2021, 18:10
- Russian Church calls for a general mobilization against coronavirus 21 June 2021, 12:08
- Russian Orthodox Church supports ban on foreigners using surrogacy services 11 June 2021, 16:32
- Surrogacy to remain available to Russian citizens - Duma's Piskaryov 11 June 2021, 15:55
- Bill banning foreigners from using surrogacy services in Russia submitted to State Duma 11 June 2021, 15:54