09 March 2020, 17:44
Coronavirus epidemic affects Purim festival celebration in Moscow
Moscow, March 9, Interfax - The Moscow Jewish Community Center has modified the program of festivities during the Purim festival due to coronavirus spread.
"A large concert with the participation of friends from the French Jewish community was scheduled to take place on the evening of March 9. In line with Moscow Mayor Sergey Sobyanin's relevant decree on undertaking compulsory measures with respect to people who returned from those countries where numerous Covid-19 disease cases were identified, the organizers cancelled their participation. A Russian creative company will perform at the concert," the press service of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia told Interfax.
All the other festive events will take place as scheduled earlier.
The Purim celebration will begin on the evening of March 9 this year. This festival is traditionally deemed as the merriest one among the Jews and is celebrated in memory of the miraculous saving of the Jews from their annihilation during Persian King Artaxerxes' rule.
According to the Biblical Book of Esther, Haman, a favorite of the Persian king, decided to exterminate Persian Jews, but Queen of Persia Esther, who was an ethnic Jewish woman, managed to convince her husband of enabling the Jews to deliver a preventive strike. Many Persian anti-Semites were disarmed and beaten up in the end, while the Jews executed Haman and cut off his ears in line with the local ritual.
In commemoration of the victory over ancient anti-Semites, the Jews hold a joyful carnival during the Purim festival every year, when theatrical performances telling about those events of the ancient times are staged at the synagogues.
- Another Jehovah's Witness put under house arrest instead of detention 30 November 2020, 12:42
- Russian court refuses to arrest 3 Jehovah's Witnesses accused of setting up extremist organization 27 November 2020, 18:41
- Press secretary of Belarusian Orthodox Church who condemned dismantling memorial to late activist Bondarenko in Minsk resigns 27 November 2020, 15:31
- Courts extends detention of 3 managers of Jehovah's Witnesses Administrative Center in Russia, all charged with setting up extremist organization 26 November 2020, 20:11
- Amendments to Russian Family Code affirming supremacy of Constitution, 'moral fundamentals' over int'l law pass 1st reading in State Duma 26 November 2020, 16:08
- Jehovah's Witnesses Detained in Russia charged with setting up extremist organization, Investigative Committee requests their arrest - court 26 November 2020, 16:06
- Rabbi Lazar rejected accusations of Jewish communities in irresponsible attitude to the pandemic 26 November 2020, 15:19
- Russian expert sees danger in Turkey's aspiration to become Islamic world leader 26 November 2020, 14:53
- Rostov-on-Don court sentences leader of Aum Shinrikyo, banned in Russia, to 15 years in high-security penitentiary 26 November 2020, 13:24
- Lawyers appeal extension of custody for Church of Last Testament founder, 2 other defendants 25 November 2020, 20:09
- Russian Orthodox Church appreciates Cypriot bishops who refuse to recognize new church of Ukraine 25 November 2020, 18:45
- Church of Cyprus's Synod supports recognition of new church of Ukraine 25 November 2020, 16:03
- Jehovah's Witnesses' activities still banned in Russia - Peskov 25 November 2020, 12:51
- Several Jehovah's Witnesses leaders detained in Russia - Investigative Committee 24 November 2020, 11:39
- Court fines Pussy Riot member Nikulshina for event in support of LGBT in Moscow 23 November 2020, 13:35
- There's some progress in Alexander Metochion issue - Israeli ambassador to Russia 23 November 2020, 10:00
- Putin urges preservation of historic sites, sacred religious places in Karabakh conflict zone 20 November 2020, 19:55
- Patriarch Kirill ceases liturgical commemoration of archbishop of Cyprus for backing schism in Ukraine 20 November 2020, 17:47
- Putin offers condolences to president of Serbia on death of Patriarch Irinej 20 November 2020, 17:35
- Russian Orthodox Church mourns death of Serbian Patriarch Irinej 20 November 2020, 13:05
- Metropolitan of Tatarstan dies of Covid-19 <>(updated) 20 November 2020, 11:37
- Armenian church leader thanks Putin for preserving Armenian cultural heritage in Karabakh 20 November 2020, 10:58
- Russian Orthodox Church denies Serbian Patriarch Irinej deceased 19 November 2020, 17:40
- Free visits may be arranged for believers to ancient Christian monastery in northern Karabakh - Russian military 16 November 2020, 17:34
- Karabakh archbishop hospitalized after heart attack 16 November 2020, 14:23
- Putin calls for preserving churches in the transferred territories of Karabakh 16 November 2020, 11:23
- Azerbaijanis desecrated cathedral in Shushi - Armenian Church 16 November 2020, 11:11
- Metropolitan Hilarion speaks of risks of start of third world war 16 November 2020, 11:09
- Russian Orthodox Church expects Biden to stop supporting abortion, sex change operations 16 November 2020, 10:49
- Spiritual Muslim Board of Russia denies existence of overwhelming support for ban on marrying non-Muslim women 11 November 2020, 19:21