03 March 2020, 15:31
Peskov on mention of God in Constitution: Russia will not stop being secular state
Moscow, March 3, Interfax - Mentioning God in the Russian Constitution will not change the secular nature of the Russian state, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said.
Russian President Vladimir Putin presented new amendments to the State Duma on Monday. One of the amendments reads as follows: "The Russian Federation, united by a centuries-old history, which cherishes the memory of its ancestors who passed on ideals and trust in God to us, as well as succession in the development of the Russian state, recognizes historical state unity."
Journalists asked Peskov whose ancestors Putin meant exactly. "Ours. The ancestors of those who populate the Russian Federation," he said.
As to what these ideals are, Peskov said, "Our common [ideals]. This is implied by the text."
Another journalist wondered which God Putin was implying. "That will be clarified in due time," Peskov said.
Peskov could not answer a question as to whether a federal law will be adopted to that end.
As to whether Russia will stop being a secular state after the amendment is adopted and how the state will treat atheists, Peskov said, "I cannot answer this question right now. Obviously, the state will not lose its secular nature."
Peskov promised to clarify questions related to the amendment "in due time." "I cannot give you the precise time and the precise format of this clarification just yet," he said, noting that an interpretation would be given before nationwide voting. "Before the adoption [of the amendments], before the voting, there will be a massive campaign to explain the amendments and the text. Both the president and members of the working group have said so on multiple occasions," he said.
Peskov directed all the media's questions, including those concerning presidential amendments, to the working group.
"After all, a legal opinion and interpretation would be more appropriate here, and I'm unable to offer it to you on a professional basis," he said.
Peskov ruled out further editing of the presidential amendments. "How can things proposed by the president be edited? Wait, everything will be clarified and explained in due time; the second reading of the bill is pending, and the main work is being done in the State Duma," he said.
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23