28 February 2020, 19:33
Significance of belief in God to Russia's development should be reflected in Russian Constitution - Klishas
Moscow, February 28, Interfax - There are plans to include a mention of faith in God in the Russian Constitution, Andrey Klishas, senator and co-chair of the working group on amendments to the Russian Constitution, said.
At the same time, Russia will remain a secular state, Klishas said.
"In regard to Russia's multi-ethnic, multi-religious, and cultural diversity, Russia has developed as a state where faith in God and recognition of historical state unity have been the foundation of the development of the state and the people for many centuries. These provisions should definitely be reflected in the Constitution," he told Interfax on Friday.
The provision on faith in God can be reflected in Chapter 3 of the constitution, Klishas said.
The Interreligious Council, a session of which was held on Friday, recognizes the importance of these issues, and the leaders of Russia's traditional religious organizations agree on that, he said.
"It's important to say that Russia remains a secular state. In regard to the provisions of Article 28 of the constitution, every citizen in modern Russia has the right to freely confess any religion or not to confess any religion at all. The principle of a secular state is unshakable. Everyone will decide on his attitude to God for himself," Klishas said.
Every Russian will agree that it is necessary to respect "the memory of ancestors who gave us a great country with faith in God," he said.
The working group has supporters and opponents of mentioning faith in God in the constitution, Klishas said.
"The position has been reported to the president, and he will make a decision," he said.
The proposal to mention God in the Russian constitution was made by Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and all Russia on February 1.
The proposal was supported by Talgat Tajuddin, head of the Central Spiritual Directorate of Muslims of Russia.
Opinions against and in favor of mentioning God in the constitution were stated during a discussion of this initiative.
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23