28 February 2020, 15:55
Leaders of Russia's leading religions support idea of mentioning God in Constitution
Moscow, February 28, Interfax - The leaders and representatives of Russia's leading religious organizations have supported the idea of mentioning God and outlining the concept of marriage in the Constitution.
A unified meeting of the Russian Interreligious Council and the Christian Interreligious Consultative Committee was held in Moscow at the invitation of Patriarch Kirill on Friday. The meeting was attended by head of the external church relations department of the Russian Orthodox Church Metropolitan Hilarion, supreme mufti of the Central Spiritual Muslim Board of Russia Talgat Tajuddin, Russia's chief rabbi Berel Lazar, Armenian Archbishop Yezras Nersisyan, Catholic Archbishop Pavel Pezzi, leader of the Pentecostal Church Sergey Ryakhovsky, and the heads of other protestant churches.
"Establishing peace in a multi-ethnic and multi-religious country, we support the proposal to mention God in the text of the updated Constitution, we regard it as the establishment of the value of religious convictions of the peoples of our country, historically and culturally related to the religions represented by us, and also spiritual continuity in relation to our ancestors," a communique issued at the meeting, which was obtained by Interfax, said.
Representatives of various religious organizations also believe that the constitutional amendments outlining the idea of marriage as a union between a man and a woman, provisions aimed at protecting traditional family values, including the rights of parents to provide such education and instruction to their children that is in line with their religious and philosophical conditions, protection of the history and culture of the country, the status of the Russian language, support to compatriots, and the preservation of the memory of defenders of the fatherland are important.
The religious leaders also welcomed the changes to the Constitution that create extra conditions for ensuring the socio-economic wellbeing of Russians and the unity of the country.
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23