25 February 2020, 22:58
Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches
Moscow, February 25, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has confirmed the installation of monitoring cameras in Russian churches assuring that the measure will not violate the personal space of the worshippers.
"In line with a government resolution monitoring cameras are installed with due account for the internal regulations of a religious organization. Namely, monitoring cameras shall not be installed in confessionals or altars. As for the other space, many churches installed monitoring cameras a long time ago to prevent the theft of church property as well as the personal belongings of parishioners among other purposes," head of the legal department of the Moscow Patriarchate Hegumenia Xenia (Chernega) said to Interfax on Tuesday.
She said the resolution permits the substitution of video monitoring with periodic examinations. This applies to the dormitories of monasteries and convents and other premises access to which is restricted by the internal regulations of religious organizations.
In addition, a joint commission led by the ruling hierarch or a person authorized by him has the right to decide on the inexpediency of the installation of a system of video monitoring if at a site of the Russian Orthodox Church church services, other religious rites and ceremonies or pilgrimages are not conducted regularly (less than once a week).
"By the way, the monitoring cameras can be switched off which is well known even to children," the representative of the Patriarchate said. She said that under a decision of the hierarch cameras can be turned off during such personal rites as baptism, wedding and funeral because the government resolution is meant for cases of public church services and other public religious rites.
Last week several Telegram channels reported that monitoring cameras are installed at all church sites. They said the Tula Diocese will be a pilot project in this respect with cameras being installed even in remote village churches.
However, Hegumenia Xenia said, "there are no pilot projects" in implementing the government resolution on requirements to the antiterrorist protection of sites (territories) of religious organizations dated September 5, 2019 #1165. She also said that the installation of cameras is implied only for sites with a capacity of 500 worshippers and more. "The information stated by the said Telegram channels is not true and is of speculative nature," she said.
- Russian Church against discrimination of those who refuse vaccination 25 January 2021, 14:27
- Putin takes part in Epiphany bathing 19 January 2021, 17:40
- Patriarch Kirill conveys a ton of oranges to hospitals and social facilities of Moscow 18 January 2021, 19:03
- Stepashin asks Israeli govt to protect Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem 18 January 2021, 18:59
- Parish in eastern U.S. returns to Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia, which it left after its reunion with Moscow Patriarchate 18 January 2021, 16:56
- Kiev expects icon gifted to Lavrov in Sarajevo to be returned to Ukraine 15 January 2021, 17:46
- Arrested former schema-monk Sergy ends his hunger strike 15 January 2021, 16:49
- ECHR finds unproven accusations of Kiev in Russia's refusal to register religious organizations in Crimea 14 January 2021, 14:38
- Federal Penitentiary Service denies reports on deteriorating health of former schema-hegumen Sergy 14 January 2021, 14:10
- IOPS chairman says is 99% certain Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem will be returned to Russia this year 13 January 2021, 14:36
- Circus in Russia's Udmurtia says photos of animals with Nazi symbols Christmas celebration that caused scandal were taken out of context 13 January 2021, 13:24
- Supporter of Urals ex-schema-monk Sergy arrested in new case 12 January 2021, 17:29
- Emeritus Patriarchal Exarch of All Belarus Philaret dies 12 January 2021, 16:51
- Yakutian 'shaman' Gabyshev plans new 'march on Moscow' 12 January 2021, 15:28
- Arrested ex-schema-monk Sergy goes on dry hunger strike - Public Monitoring Commission 12 January 2021, 10:00
- Extremists may take advantage of new anti-money laundering regulations for religious organizations - State Duma committee 11 January 2021, 17:00
- Hockey player Datsyuk, actress Shukshina ask Putin to look into circumstances of former schema-hegumen Sergy's detention in Urals 11 January 2021, 16:23
- Christmas interview of Patriarch Kirill to Rossia TV (a shortened version) 11 January 2021, 10:10
- Decision on where icon gifted to Lavrov truly belongs can be made only after examination - Russian Orthodox Church 08 January 2021, 15:34
- Patriarch Kirill calls those who do not believe in danger of Covid-19 'stupid' 08 January 2021, 15:31
- Hagia Sophia's conversion into mosque Patriarch Bartholomew's divine retribution - Russian Church head 07 January 2021, 17:41
- Putin grateful to Syrian people for preserving Christian holy relics 07 January 2021, 17:39
- Hope, expectation of miracle human's guiding light - Putin 07 January 2021, 17:36
- Pope Francis accepts Belarusian Catholic leader Kondrusiewicz's resignation 03 January 2021, 17:18
- Russian Orthodox Church postpones Christmas Readings to Easter due to Covid-19 pandemic 30 December 2020, 19:01
- Moscow court arrests ex-schema-monk Sergy for 2 months 29 December 2020, 21:14
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy suspected of persuading 10 nuns to commit suicide 29 December 2020, 20:58
- Russian Bishops' Council to be held on November 15-18, 2021 29 December 2020, 19:57
- Russian Orthodox Church wished Russians to keep faith, hope and love 28 December 2020, 13:16
- Leader of Catholic Church in Belarus Kondrusiewicz returns to country 24 December 2020, 15:11