25 February 2020, 22:58
Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches
Moscow, February 25, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has confirmed the installation of monitoring cameras in Russian churches assuring that the measure will not violate the personal space of the worshippers.
"In line with a government resolution monitoring cameras are installed with due account for the internal regulations of a religious organization. Namely, monitoring cameras shall not be installed in confessionals or altars. As for the other space, many churches installed monitoring cameras a long time ago to prevent the theft of church property as well as the personal belongings of parishioners among other purposes," head of the legal department of the Moscow Patriarchate Hegumenia Xenia (Chernega) said to Interfax on Tuesday.
She said the resolution permits the substitution of video monitoring with periodic examinations. This applies to the dormitories of monasteries and convents and other premises access to which is restricted by the internal regulations of religious organizations.
In addition, a joint commission led by the ruling hierarch or a person authorized by him has the right to decide on the inexpediency of the installation of a system of video monitoring if at a site of the Russian Orthodox Church church services, other religious rites and ceremonies or pilgrimages are not conducted regularly (less than once a week).
"By the way, the monitoring cameras can be switched off which is well known even to children," the representative of the Patriarchate said. She said that under a decision of the hierarch cameras can be turned off during such personal rites as baptism, wedding and funeral because the government resolution is meant for cases of public church services and other public religious rites.
Last week several Telegram channels reported that monitoring cameras are installed at all church sites. They said the Tula Diocese will be a pilot project in this respect with cameras being installed even in remote village churches.
However, Hegumenia Xenia said, "there are no pilot projects" in implementing the government resolution on requirements to the antiterrorist protection of sites (territories) of religious organizations dated September 5, 2019 #1165. She also said that the installation of cameras is implied only for sites with a capacity of 500 worshippers and more. "The information stated by the said Telegram channels is not true and is of speculative nature," she said.
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23