25 February 2020, 22:58
Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches
Moscow, February 25, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has confirmed the installation of monitoring cameras in Russian churches assuring that the measure will not violate the personal space of the worshippers.
"In line with a government resolution monitoring cameras are installed with due account for the internal regulations of a religious organization. Namely, monitoring cameras shall not be installed in confessionals or altars. As for the other space, many churches installed monitoring cameras a long time ago to prevent the theft of church property as well as the personal belongings of parishioners among other purposes," head of the legal department of the Moscow Patriarchate Hegumenia Xenia (Chernega) said to Interfax on Tuesday.
She said the resolution permits the substitution of video monitoring with periodic examinations. This applies to the dormitories of monasteries and convents and other premises access to which is restricted by the internal regulations of religious organizations.
In addition, a joint commission led by the ruling hierarch or a person authorized by him has the right to decide on the inexpediency of the installation of a system of video monitoring if at a site of the Russian Orthodox Church church services, other religious rites and ceremonies or pilgrimages are not conducted regularly (less than once a week).
"By the way, the monitoring cameras can be switched off which is well known even to children," the representative of the Patriarchate said. She said that under a decision of the hierarch cameras can be turned off during such personal rites as baptism, wedding and funeral because the government resolution is meant for cases of public church services and other public religious rites.
Last week several Telegram channels reported that monitoring cameras are installed at all church sites. They said the Tula Diocese will be a pilot project in this respect with cameras being installed even in remote village churches.
However, Hegumenia Xenia said, "there are no pilot projects" in implementing the government resolution on requirements to the antiterrorist protection of sites (territories) of religious organizations dated September 5, 2019 #1165. She also said that the installation of cameras is implied only for sites with a capacity of 500 worshippers and more. "The information stated by the said Telegram channels is not true and is of speculative nature," she said.
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22
- Russian Orthodox Church denies coronavirus impact on Patriarch Kirill's foreign travel schedule 13 March 2020, 14:42