25 February 2020, 11:02
Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan
Kazan, February 25, Interfax - A Ukrainian man, Ruslan Shirinov, accused of membership of Takfir wal-Hijra, an international extremist group banned in Russia, has been remanded in custody in the Russian city of Kazan.
"To select a restraining measure in the form of detention until April 18," the judge said.
The prosecutor had supported the investigator's request for arrest. The defense lawyer had requested a softer restraining measure, an Interfax correspondent reported from the courtroom.
According to the inquiry, the accused published extremist material on the VK social-networking website and carried out agitation. In August 2018 Shirinov and another cell member declared a "takfir" to an acquaintance (i.e. declaring him a non-believer), which according to the Takfir wal-Hijra ideology could lead to any form of physical punishment right up to death.
The accused said he was born in Donetsk and is a citizen of Ukraine. He arrived in Tatarstan as a migrant worker, did menial jobs at construction sites, lived in the Pestrechinsky District of the Tatarstan Republic. His Russian job license expires on February 28.
The accused told the court that he did not call for jihad and his activities were aimed at persuading non-believers.
It was reported that on February 20 security officers in Kazan arrested three suspected cell members of Takfir wal-Hijra.
Searches led to the seizure of several bladed weapons and religious literature.
One is the leader of a Jihadist cell, the other two are active members, the Federal Security Service said.
A criminal inquiry has been launched on the charges of organization and membership of an extremist organization.
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22
- Russian Orthodox Church denies coronavirus impact on Patriarch Kirill's foreign travel schedule 13 March 2020, 14:42