17 February 2020, 22:06
Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed'
Moscow, February 17, Interfax - A man who wounded two people in a Moscow church on Sunday did not choose the crime scene in advance, the detainee said in a video of his questioning published on the website of the Russian Interior Ministry on Monday.
"I had gotten up on the wrong side of bed. I woke up and I was feeling [....] not very joyful. I didn't choose the church, I walked into one that was nearby," the man said.
The man said he had not made any preparations for the crime. He said he had bought the knife seized from the crime scene in December 2019 and had found the gloves "on the go."
The detainee said he lives in a hostel near the Partizanskaya metro station and had been going to work on the day the crime was committed.
The man said he had drunk beer the day before and sometimes uses narcotics. "I use marijuana sometimes," he said.
The man could not say whether he considered himself sane. "Maybe there's something up with my mind, I don't know. I'm not a doctor," he said.
Russian Interior Ministry spokesperson Irina Volk told Interfax on Sunday that a criminal case had been opened based on the attack on citizens in a church in the Bakuninskaya Street against a man born in 1993 based on the articles dealing with hooliganism and battery.
According to earlier reports, the man entered the altar of the Church of Nicholas the Wonderworker and stabbed two men. People in the church prevented the man from escaping.
The police who arrived at the scene detained the suspect, a 26-year-old resident of Lipetsk, who had no criminal record. A knife, gloves, and a package containing a plant-based substance were seized from him. Tests showed that the substance was marijuana.
The criminal case is being investigated by officials from the Investigative Unit of the Investigative Directorate of the interior affairs department for the Central Administrative District of the Interior Ministry's Main Directorate for Moscow, Volk said.
"Investigative actions are being carried out and operational search activities are being conducted. The man has been detained in accordance with Article 91 of the Russian Code of Criminal Procedure. The investigators plan to file a motion with a court for him to be taken into custody," she said.
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22
- Russian Orthodox Church denies coronavirus impact on Patriarch Kirill's foreign travel schedule 13 March 2020, 14:42